Chicago brewpub suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Heading down this weekend with kids to visit Shedds Aquarium. Anything close by, or on the route from Michigan?

Also, good food is a MUST.

There are a few cool places to visit, Three Floyds is on your way if you haven't been there. Food is good. Revolution Brewing is in Chicago and I've heard good things (never been). I've also heard that Piece brewery and Pizza is really good, it's on my list of places to hit up. Of course there is Goose Island and Rock Bottom...

There are a few bars that are nice and have TONS of craft beer, The Hop Leaf is one. They kinda focus on Belgian beers. I was just there two weeks ago, Brisket Sandwich was delicious. If you felt like a little jaunt west of the city you could hit Two Brothers brewing. I found the food great, and the beer is always good.

Flossmoor Station is also about 20 minutes from Three Floyds. I was at the Hopleaf for the first time on Sunday on my way through town, if you don't have some time to kill I would skip it until you do. I might have to make a return trip for an afternoon there sometime.

Piece is awesome as is Two Brothers in the West Suburbs. GI is great.

If you are doing beer bars one newer place that impressed me was Owen & Engine. Great casual food, great atmosphere, thoughtful selection of about 16 beers plus four on hand pumps.

Publican has great beer (Cantillon draught when I was there last) and great food but not any kind of bar/pub atmosphere.

Three Floyds is really good and as long as you're not a UPer who comes down through Wisconsin then you can probably fit it into your route.
Revolution didn't do it for me. The beer selection was too limited (only 4 of their own on tap when I went there). It also seemed like they were trying too hard with the decor; it wasn't my scene.
Piece is great. I've been many times and am always pleased with both the beer and the pizza. Parking in that neighborhood is a pain, so if you've got the family with you just valet. Definitely my top pick though.
Goose Island is nice because they often have a couple of beers on tap that you cannot buy in retail stores.
Two Brothers is good, the downside is that there isn't much else in that suburb, so it's a destination sort of thing (you don't stop in just because you happen to be in the neighborhood).
Hop Leaf is indeed a good choice for a bar.
If you also like whisky, Duke of Perth in Lakeview would be good because they have a decent selection of both beer and whisky and they are just down Clark from Binny's so you can go buy a bunch of beers you may not be able to get in MI.

How did I forget Flossmoor? I'd add a recommendation to it as well. Not in the city, but it's on the way. Has a nice family atmosphere too.

Two Brothers is good, the downside is that there isn't much else in that suburb, so it's a destination sort of thing (you don't stop in just because you happen to be in the neighborhood).

There is plenty to do out here, maybe lol. There is even a Binnys just down the road from Two Brothers. Which reminds me, Homer, if you don't have a nice liquor store with huge selection near you definately stop at a Binnys. They got an enourmous selection.

Edit: I looked up Reed City, he is coming from mainland Michigan. So Three Floyds and Flossmoor are on his way.

There is a local dive brewery in the West suburbs called Lunar Brewing Company. They have solid beer but most impressive is the guest beers they have its worthy of a stop!

Goose Island Clybourn is good and about 20 minutes north of the Loop, Haymarket is in Greektown, they have good food and good brews.

Publican is great food, a bit pricy and get a booth so they can close you and the kids in while you eat pork. My 2 1/2 year old loved it.

If you want really close to the Shedd, Gage is good and right on Michigan ave. Also Hackney's is good and only a short cab ride/long walk away.

If you are spending a while here are some other places http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=chicago

Revolution always has 8-10 of their own beers on tap from my experience. Plus, they're all usually really good for the most part. Their food is a little pricey but well worth it. I actually really likethe decor. Light fixtures and walls are made with planks and metal from old barrels. One of my favorite places in Chicago.

Half Acre makes pretty good beer but I haven't been there so I can't comment on ambience or food.

Goose Island is owned by the devil. Don't spend your money there if you care about craft brewers! Period.

Revolution didn't do it for me. The beer selection was too limited (only 4 of their own on tap when I went there). It also seemed like they were trying too hard with the decor; it wasn't my scene.
I don't know if you went relatively shortly after they opened (they apparently didn't have enough beer made when they opened for the amount of business they got), but as another commenter has noted, they usually have 6-8 of their own house brews on tap, and they often have some cask conditioned versions as well. I guess there's no arguing about taste, but I really like what they've done with the space, and the bar at the center of the restaurant is a work of art, IMHO.

You can't go wrong with either Revolution or Piece, as far as I'm concerned, though I'm partial to Revolution as it's my neighborhood brew joint.

Piece is really going to be out of your way.

Haymarket Brewpub is owned by former head brewer at Rock Bottom Pete Crowley and is in the West Loop area. They just opened before this past Christmas and supposed to be quite the selection and a nice restaurant too.

How did I forget Flossmoor? I'd add a recommendation to it as well. Not in the city, but it's on the way. Has a nice family atmosphere too.

There is plenty to do out here, maybe lol. There is even a Binnys just down the road from Two Brothers. Which reminds me, Homer, if you don't have a nice liquor store with huge selection near you definately stop at a Binnys. They got an enourmous selection.

Edit: I looked up Reed City, he is coming from mainland Michigan. So Three Floyds and Flossmoor are on his way.

You can to Flossmoor by getting off I 57 at Vollmer OR you can get of I 80 at Halsted

Regardless of the brew pub's actual ownership...I still refuse to give money to someone that is so directly connected with AB...it's tied to blood money in my eyes...but that's just my opinion

i don't know your schedule, but the field museum is free this monday.

I haven't been to any of the brewpubs in Chicago, which is dumb, seeing how close i am, but Flossmoor station brewery is a nice little restaurant (family friendly) and the beer is pretty good. I really enjoyed the amber when i was there. The pullman brown is a nice porter as well.

i don't know your schedule, but the field museum is free this monday.

I haven't been to any of the brewpubs in Chicago, which is dumb, seeing how close i am, but Flossmoor station brewery is a nice little restaurant (family friendly) and the beer is pretty good. I really enjoyed the amber when i was there. The pullman brown is a nice porter as well.

By amber do you mean the red? Because the Panima Red is great!

By amber do you mean the red? Because the Panima Red is great!

that's the one.

from the site:

Panama Limited Red Ale
Our Panama Limited Red is a hoppy, robust yet smooth amber ale brewed with nine different malts and four types of hops. With its deep amber color and rich malty body, our Panama Limited Red will smoothly transport you into the wonderful world of complex and flavorful handcrafted beers

Goose Island is owned by the devil. Don't spend your money there if you care about craft brewers! Period.

Ridiculous...

I'll throw my hat in for Three Floyds since it's on your way. However, word of warning, they don't have much space and it tends to fill up pretty quickly on evenings during the weekend so if you have to wait there is no nice waiting area. You just stand on the sidewalk outside...

You can to Flossmoor by getting off I 57 at Vollmer OR you can get of I 80 at Halsted

The Three Floyds/Flossmoor Station Combo would definitely be worth it and not too far out of your way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....550728,-87.593994&spn=0.088898,0.209255&z=13

If you are just going to the museum campus, you can actually stay down in the suburbs and literally take the train from Flossmoor Station (the brewery is in the old station, the new station is just across the tracks) up to the city and not have to worry about driving/parking in the city. Hotels are probably a few bucks cheaper too. Plus who doesn't like a train ride?
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/me/station.FLOSSMOOR.html

Another vote for Flossmoor. Was just there 2 weeks ago for dinner. Not sure how old your kids are but if they are small, they might like the trains that run around near the ceiling. Their beer sampler is great with 13 samples (all the beers they have on tap). And the food is quite good (the Cheddar Beer soup is one of the better ones I have had).

I know most everyone seems to like Three Floyds but I wasn't impressed with the food (hockey puck burgers) or the service (rude waitress who pretty much ignored us). It was an experience though going in there. Reminded me of walking into my stoner brother's psychedelic house back in the 70s.

One that I have not been to but my beer buddies keep saying I need to get to is Revolution.

Revolution is great. Thier Eugene Porter is one of the best I've ever had. Some nice new beers going on tap this week too. Check revbrew.com or their facebook page. I've found the menu to be hit n miss to be honest. The beer...all hit.

Piece...same. Great pizza, great beer. Both Revolution and Piece have a few guest taps in addition to their own brews as well. So you'll find something.

Hopleaf is great, but no kids allowed...so if you aren't on your own, skip it.

I'm checking out Haymarket for the first time on saturday afternoon, myself. I just haven't made a point to get over there and this must be rectified.

Half Acre...good beers and you can get growlers but there is no pub or restaurant.

If you hit the burbs.. then yeah, Two Brothers. Better overall experience (food, facility, tour) than Three Floyds, but it can be argued that Three Floyds has better beer.

Of course...there is always the legendary Map Room. Great beer selection, but no credit/debit cards. Cash only (they have an ATM). And they have no food... but there is an awesome Cuban restaurant down the street. Lots of other restaurants in the area as well.

Here's whate we are doing:

Leaving Thursday right after work. Staying at a Hilton near the aquarium. Going to Aquarium and other venues Friday and Sat. Prob head home Sat evening.

I am not interested in Liquor. Mostly just want to check out some area brewpubs if time allows. My wife requires there be good food since she doesn't drink beer.

We will have kids, and I assume that eating at a brewpub is going to happen at least once during the trip.

I think we are buying a pass for multiple venues to save on $$. There are a couple of places besides the aquarium that look interesting to me.

Leaving Thursday right after work. Staying at a Hilton near the aquarium. Going to Aquarium and other venues Friday and Sat. Prob head home Sat evening.

I am not interested in Liquor. Mostly just want to check out some area brewpubs if time allows. My wife requires there be good food since she doesn't drink beer.

We will have kids, and I assume that eating at a brewpub is going to happen at least once during the trip.

I think we are buying a pass for multiple venues to save on $$. There are a couple of places besides the aquarium that look interesting to me.

lincoln park zoo is still free i believe. plus there's a childrens museum at navy pier.

Sounds like Piece and/or Revolution will be your best bets then. Have a great time!

Go to Piece. Sounds like it will fit your schedule better and everyone loves it.

Heck, hit both. I may have to swing by Revolution myself. This is going on tap tonight.

Tart With a Heart - A special release from our barrel cellar. We aged our strong brown ale in Jack Daniels and Bullet Bourbon barrels for six months along with Italian plums. The acidic fruit brought provided the tartness and the wood brought the warmth of the heart. A very complex ale. 10% ABV

Oh, also... you can walk to Piece from the Damen blue line stop. Just a few blocks away. Parking can be a chore down there. Better parking by Revolution, but mostly metered...and it ain't cheap for even a couple of hours.

I go to piece and revolution regularly since i live in the neighborhood. I have to say I'm surprised at all the calls for piece. i don't think it's that great. I don't even drink their beer when I'm there because it's average, at best. Another option not far from piece is Bangers and Lace. They have food, kids are welcome, and the beer selection is amazing. I think they have 36 taps and another 80 or so in bottle. If it tells you anything, they have Gose on tap. I've never even seen it in the store, so to have it on tap is pretty unusual. Revolution is also a good bet. Get the bacon popcorn app if you go. It's wicked good.

I definitely vote Half Acre. I love their beers. No food on site but there is a great little restaurant kitty corner from it called Bad Apple. It has a ton of beers on tap (including obviously Half Acre).

I am leaning towards taking a ride from the hotel to the aquarium, and bus or cab from there to everything else. I was young the last time I drove in Chicago (CES), and I still have nightmares from the experience!

adman said:
I don't know if you went relatively shortly after they opened (they apparently didn't have enough beer made when they opened for the amount of business they got),
You're spot on. I went in the first few weeks after opening and was disappointed. I am glad to hear they have improved, sounds like I'll have to go back and try them again.

Homercidal said:
I am leaning towards taking a ride from the hotel to the aquarium, and bus or cab from there to everything else.
It seems like you'll be staying by Grant Park, so you'd have easy access to the Red line stop at Harrison. You could take the Red then transfer to Blue in order to get to Piece.
I know you didn't ask for places without beer, but you'll be so close to Manny's deli at Roosevelt and Jefferson that it'd be a pity if someone didn't point it out. Great NY style deli food, served cafeteria style. The corned beef is out of this world. I moved from Chicago about 8 months ago, and I miss Manny's something fierce.

Piece is really going to be out of your way.

Haymarket Brewpub is owned by former head brewer at Rock Bottom Pete Crowley and is in the West Loop area. They just opened before this past Christmas and supposed to be quite the selection and a nice restaurant too.

Just checked their website and Haymarket looks worth checking out. It's pretty close to the action (If by action I mean looking at stuff...)

ANy advice for parking while we are here? They want almost $50 a day at the hotel.

HA! Cheap parking and Chicago don't even belong in the same sentence...That's $2 an hour, which is typically the going rate wherever you are.

Found a place that lists $40 for both days total, which I think is pretty good. The prices vary a lot between parking garages that are very close together. I hope I still have wheels on my truck by the time I leave!!

Back