Chi Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to update this as I've gotten PM's from individuals asking me about CHI company based on my previous post.

After a second order that again went fine, had my goods in 3 days from the other side of the country no less, I put in a third order. That order is 4 weeks out with no shipping confirmation. I called after week when I realized I needed some other things and got them added to the order no problem, and was told it would ship right out. At week 2 I called and they realized that my addition had changed my order status to something along the lines of "wait" instead of "process", again I was told it would ship right out. At week 3 I called and they said it was their fault, that they had overlooked it and they would ship today as well as speed up my shipping. Week 4...they are on vacation until week 5.

Cliffs notes: I'm 4 weeks out with no shipping confirmation and have to wait until next week to talk to anyone.

**update** - Supposed to be shipping with a complete refund. We'll see, but it seems like they are trying to make good on their mistake.
**update 12/1/11** after receiving no shipping info or refund I filed a paypal dispute today
**update 12/6/2011** No response to the dispute so I upped it to a claim, paypal refunded my cash.

Just bought some replacement single handle corny keg handles from these guys and o-rings. Great prices, fast responses, good selection of some hard to find home brew, wine and soda making supplies. Shipping was reasonable too.

They definetly have the biggest one stop shop for keg and associated draft equiptment. I usually order from them because they are the only site that has all the items I'm looking for.

ive placed a few $100 orders with CHI in the past with zero issues. the last order i placed had a problem, but they resolved it without much hassle. i ordered two 100-foot sections of tubing and one was cut 15 feet short. i emailed them, and when they didnt reply for 2-3 days i started a paypal dispute which got their attention. they immmediately answered and soon sent a replacement section for free. it was a very minor hassle, but no where near some of the other reviews of them. i guess the moral of the story is to use paypal.

RE: "...i emailed them, and when they didnt reply for 2-3 days..."
Sorry about that. We get over 100 emails a day and we just don't have enough people to go through them as fast as we need to.

It's a catch 22 situation, we are growing like mad and adding product and happy customers, thus we need more people here to get things done. But....we are not able to hire more people right now due to the costs involved.
For me, personally, it is VERY frustrating!
Matt

I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of kegs and parts from Chi Company in several orders over the course of three years. Every order was handled perfectly in every way. I've gotten help on the phone and via email to answer my questions. Matt has always been great to deal with. I'm a 100% satisfied customer.

My current situation is detailed at the end of this thread. I made two orders for obscure keg parts through these guys that went well. My last order has been a nightmare. Well over a month out with no product (which has been promised multiple times), and no refund (promised this week). I've now got a paypal dispute open that seems to be being ignored as well.

I understand that things can get backed up at times, but when you repeatedly tell someone "I don't know what happened, that will go out today" and fail to follow through you lose my business.

Another Chi Review Thread

I apologize for the service you received for your order.
We are growing, overwhelmed and understaffed.
Unlike other shops that have 50+ employees, we are short manned in every area.
Please email me at [email protected] and let's see if we can't do something to make you happy, or if you like, give me your order number so I may call you directly, at a time of your convenience.
Matt
The CHI Company

I purchased a temperature controller from them, the shipping I picked was wrong so they sent an e-mail wanting more for shipping and they would send an invoice, I said ok and a week went by and no invoice I sent a few emails with no replies, a week later i get a sorry we will send invoice reply. Another week goes buy! So I report a paypal dispute and finally get an invoice. But after all that the temp controller I got didn't work! Did some research and re-wired it cause it was done wrong! Good thing I figured it out so I wouldn't have to deal with returns and more terrible customer service.

Update:
I've now purchased quite a few items from these guys, mostly thermometers, cam lock quick disconnects, and assorted keg deals and I've usually been very impressed with their shipping and service. I ordered one of their welded keggles about a month ago and should be receiving it tomorrow. I've always had pretty good service- all of the the simple parts usually arrive within a couple of days. Welding a keggle is not a simple part, so I'm not put off by the month wait, in fact I can't wait to get it and put it to good work!

Update: The website says the keggles have a 12" opening. Yeah, um, 12 +5/8" isn't 12". Glad I didn't buy a pot lid for this sucker yet because it would just fall through...

Other than that the finish on the hole is nice, and the couplers are actually welded from the inside! Leak check and washout this weekend, hopefully brewing on it by Christmas.

I bought one of their temperature controllers, but it does not work.

Still waiting for a reply to my email...

Update: The website says the keggles have a 12" opening. Yeah, um, 12 +5/8" isn't 12".

As of 12/5/11, we have a new welding shop doing the mods. The last welder/shop has turned into a drunkard.
That's fine for AFTER work, but not during !.

Matt

Ordered a Bag In Box Hand Faucet with Bag in Box Connector - BIBCon - 15R01102 with mini faucet tap for my Sprecher bag in Box 5 gallon soda syrup. Fits perfectly and now I can refill my syrup bottles I keep in the fridge with Sprecher Root Beer, Creme Soda and Cherry Cola. Use my Sodastream machine to make Sprecher soda. Honestly its not as good as the Sprecher soda you get in the glass bottles but its still a lot better then any other fountain sodas. I also bought the Coke Bag in Box Hand Faucet for my wife's Diet Coke. Works great too. Highly recommend if you want to get to your BIB syrup and run it out of a tap.

Since I've exhausted my other methods of contact, I figured I'd drop a note here before contacting my credit card company.

Placed an order with CHI Company on 01/25 (#8658) and was charged immediately on my card. Received a USPS shipping notification the next day however the tracking number never shows being received by USPS, only that it was allocated.

* Sent a message via the "Contact Us" on their website, no response.
* Called the phone number and got the message that "they're in the warehouse" and left a voicemail, no response.
* Sent a PM on this forum on 02/18 (vendor has since logged in), no response.

Is this a common problem with this vendor?

It's not a large order but it would be nice if they just responded to one of my messages so I know what's up. I'm getting tired of wasting time trying to track them down. Credit card chargeback and BBB complaint are a couple days away.

Hello? Anyone at CHI? Help?

Sorry for contact delay. Will check order status Wednesday morning and report via direct email. If sent via USPS tracking may not show until delivery.
The Chi Company

Good to know I can get a response here in 30 minutes. Given the tracking number is almost a month old, I'd guess it hasn't shipped but I'll await your email tomorrow.

Horrible experience thus far for me. Received an email telling me that my order was being shipped on Feb 10th...still not here. Tried to email them twice with no response, going on day five with no response actually. Tried to call Matt's number and no answer...and the mailbox is full.

Not sure what is going on but hopefully someone decides to do their job soon. Ordered a ball lock to sanke conversion for my brother-in-law's b-day figured a month in advance would be plenty of time to get it...getting nervous.

Horrible experience thus far for me. Received an email telling me that my order was being shipped on Feb 10th...still not here. Tried to email them twice with no response, going on day five with no response actually. Tried to call Matt's number and no answer...and the mailbox is full.

Not sure what is going on but some sort of response would be nice. Ordered a pin lock to sanke conversion for my brother-in-law's b-day figured a month in advance would be plenty of time to get it...getting nervous.

Chris, Order number 8776

PLEASE let me know what is going on so I have enough time to order from someone else if you're backed up or something.

I've always gotten good service from them and they have things that you can't find other places. Their prices on some things are pretty good too. But when you need to contact them they aren't the most touchy-feely and have a hard time getting back to you.

Not sure what is going on but hopefully someone decides to do their job soon. Ordered a ball lock to sanke conversion for my brother-in-law's b-day figured a month in advance would be plenty of time to get it...getting nervous.

Post a new thread in the review section. That usually gets a response.

Sorry for contact delay. Will check order status Wednesday morning and report via direct email. If sent via USPS tracking may not show until delivery.
The Chi Company

No response from vendor as stated above. I guess I'll go through the hassle of requesting a chargeback from my credit card company and filing a BBB complaint (complaint #65020077).

I've had better response ordering stuff from China...

I've always gotten good service from them and they have things that you can't find other places. Their prices on some things are pretty good too. But when you need to contact them they aren't the most touchy-feely and have a hard time getting back to you.

Touchy-feely?

Not requesting a date. Some customer service would be nice. The product that supposedly shipped nearly two weeks ago would be even better.

TY SwampassJ for suggestion, I will try that.

Please refer to this thread where your customers are requesting help:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f173/chi-company-284570/index7.html

Been nearly two weeks since I received a confirmation email that my item had shipped. The USPS still does not list as delivered, in fact it doesn't even confirm that the item was shipped yet...Tried to email you twice and call you once. No answer at any point, and your mailbox is full. Please address this, I need that part for my brother-in-law's b-day which is quickly approaching.

A response of some sort sure would be nice.

UPDATE:
Order #: 8679:
Last name starts w/ A
UPS #: 1Z38W1401269982176 Delivered
#1Z38W1401270669182 Out the door today, upgraded to 3 day select
#1Z38W1401271793947 Shipped from CO warehouse. MFL tailpieces STILL not received from the MFG so shipping separately from CO Warehouse, 3-day select.
-------------------
Order # 8714
Last Name starts w/ S
Out the door today: UPS # 1Z38W1401271619911 upgraded to 3-day select.

# 1Z38W1401270330528 Shipped from CO warehouse. MFL tailpieces STILL not received from the MFG so shipping separately from CO Warehouse, 3-day select.
-----------------------

Order #: 8776
Last name starts w/ C
Order Received: 02/07/2012
Order Processed: 02/10/2012
Shipped via USPS #: 9405503699300407280646
Possible lost shipment.
Will resend order and initiate USPS Trace.
--------------
Order #: 8658
Last name starts w/ P
must assume lost shipment
Order Received: 01/25/2012
Order Processed: 01/26/2012
Shipped via USPS #: 9405503699300388908584
Resending via UPS #1Z38W1400270898757

Notice about shipping:
When cusomers choose flat rate shipping, we usually ship via USPS Priority Mail due to its' cost efectiveness as compared to UPS.

A WORD ABOUT USPS PACKAGE NUMBERS:
The USPS number is a "Delivery Confirmation Number". It will show the deliverey date and time of a shipment.
It will NOT -automatically- be a point to point location tracking number like the UPS system.
If a package is individually scanned at pickup or if part of a "USPS Scan Sheet", then the package will be trackable.
Not all CHI Company associate locations use a scan sheet nor do some USPS Carriers scan each package at pickup.
The result is that no update may be shown on the USPS Tracking website until final delivery, whereby the tracking page will show "Delivered".

IF YOU WANT POINT TO POINT TRACKING, PLEASE CHOOSE UPS.

----------
A Note about current manufacturing in the U.S. and abroad.

This poor economy has hit -EVERY- industry hard!
We have noticed over the last 2 years that manufacturers and distributors now hold less on-hand inventory than before: The cost of holding large inventories is too great.

-MANY- manufacturers are now "batch manufacturing", whereby when the number of orders for part XYZ reach a specified level, they then manufacture them. Should a customer place an order for a part and they are just at the beginning of the time period where the mfg. is collecting orders for the next batch, that customer may be waiting awhile to recieve their order. In the meantime, their customer is waiting.....

This is happening to us, and many other businesses, more frequently.
I can not tell you how maddening it is and how expensive it is.

For example, we were/still are backordered for the 1/4" MFL Tailpieces. We used to order 50 at a time, then 100.... now, due to mfg delays, we have to order three times that amount...just to last us through the unpredictable periods of unavailability!

We do our best to limit the damage done by backorders and "batch mfging".
We apologize for any delay that may occur.
Matt
The CHI Company

Matt-

I appreciate you resending my order via UPS. I had already requested a chargeback from my credit card company since I had basically no communication from you over a month period. Feel free to let them know you've shipped and assuming I get the items, I have no problem paying for them.

I understand that things get lost and maybe some mail carrier is out there building the kegerator of all kegerators (no offense to mail carriers!) but I think all any customer wants is reasonable communication.

My order was small (~$30) so it's not even the money that was of concern to me as much as whether I should order these items from elsewhere, the uncertainty of my order status and all the time I wasted trying to find out what was going on. When I've already paid you and you ignore multiple attempts of contact, it's going to piss off the consumer and probably not put them on the repeat customer list.

Take some time to read the response from Brewers Hardware (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brewers-hardware-286781/index3.html#post3716077) to a similar situation; I think you'll gain more customers handling the these types of situations like that than getting in a pissing match with people on the forums.

Thanks

Joe

I apologize for the delay. We have been waiting on backordered parts.
as per a different post;
Order #: 8776
Last name starts w/ C
Order Received: 02/07/2012
Order Processed: 02/10/2012
Shipped via USPS #: 9405503699300407280646
Possible lost shipment.
Will resend order and initiate USPS Trace.

will continue conv. when back in shop via direct email.
matt

I don't blame you if it got lost during shipment, that is out of your control. But what you do have control over is your communication. And after having ignored two of my emails and not be available by phone (and with mailbox full so not able to leave message) I was really hoping you would follow through and in fact email me when you were back in shop as promised. I patiently waited the weekend, although I am near panic mode with my brother-in-law's b-day gift quickly reaching late status....and still, come to the end of the Monday workday...no word.

Again, don't blame you if it was lost in transit. But the USPS would indicate if it was delivered, and it doesn't. If it had at least made it to my doorstop I wouldn't even make an issue of it. But it didn't, and you had no problem taking my payment...yet over two weeks after it was "shipped" and can't get consistent communication from you on when it will be here.

And this is why this hurts me so - I brewed up a batch of beer for my Brother-in-Laws b-day party that is going to occur in a week. His keezer is set up for Sanke and the only kegs I have are pinlock so that's what it's in. He wanted to serve this beer at his party, so the conversion piece is my additional gift to him. But it's quickly looking like it's not going to happen, although my order was initially placed on the 7th. That is extremely frustrating. Moreso when I can't get ahold of you via email or phone, and insult to injury when I finally corner you here only to be told you will get ahold of me via email when back in shop...but don't.

Latest posts

Back