Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the Holiday layout get updated to say Holiday/Idylis, because they are the exact same just one letter off in the model.

Also, I have a new layout for it. 5 kegs, 2 co2 tanks. 4 ball locks plus a 5# co2 on the floor on a riser to get the regulator to clear the kegs, plus a converted pin lock and another 5# co2 on the hump. This allows 4 co2 driven kegs and 1 nitro keg, all inside with only a 4 1/4" collar. (Actually could go a bit less)

KegMockup_zps27e5101c.jpg

DEC9A910-79A0-41B4-B65B-8077A5C28A17_zpsimhqpkar.jpg

086E2896-DF53-4946-8C7D-39F70B5534D9_zpsvg8bn4oj.jpg

I have a GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW variant. My issue is with the lock on the front. The plastic piece on the front of the lid has broken off and I was thinking about removing it as well as the locking mechanism on the front of the freezer. Anyone done this? Concerned about filling screw holes on lid and body of freezer. I plan on painting the whole thing black with appliance paint so I could cover up any cosmetic stuff. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408805461.847638.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Haier 7.1cf HCM071AW

Any updates for this model. Want to get one for fermentation and am reluctant to buy till I'm sure two 6G Carboys will fit. I don't want a collar.

Thanks

Just got the Haier yesterday. 2 car boys fit no problem. $200 at Sams Club. Stc1000 on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just purchased the GE FCM7DUWW and it will only fit 3 ball locks. It has the exact interior and exterior dimensions as the FCM7SUWW. Anyone have any experience with this one?

I have the GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW and four ball locks fit on the floor but they are TIGHT. I had to rearrange mine a few times before they would slide together... I'm guessing one of them may be out of round.

I read in another post/thread that you can use a rasp to file off 1/16th-1/8th inch of the rubber on the bottom on each of your kegs and that will make life easier when putting four on the floor.

I just saw a sale on the the Maytag MQC1552TEW 14.8 cu ft on Homebrew Finds

I ferment in 6-gallon Better Bottles and ocassionally 7.5 gallon or larger buckets for open-ish ferments.

Anyone have any experience with this model? I've seen the specs and it LOOKS like the 6-gal fermenters about match the Better Bottle specs.

Sears is closing out their Kenmore Black and White 8.8cf freezers, and, it appears, replacing the model line with a 9cf WHITE ONLY model #12912

If anyone was hoping to get a 8.8cf OEM-Black freezer, this might be your last chance before they are gone, unless they add a new black model in the future.

I have just ordered the new model (white Kenmore #12912, and will post here with the measurements soon.

Found out today that you can fit a horse keg into a Kenmore 7.2. It just sneaks in there, rubbing both front and back wall. Doesn't leave any room for any cornies to sit on the bottom, but with a little shelf between the compressor hump and sanke, you could probably get three pin locks in there. This is with a collar of course.

Sears is closing out their Kenmore Black and White 8.8cf freezers, and, it appears, replacing the model line with a 9cf WHITE ONLY model #12912

If anyone was hoping to get a 8.8cf OEM-Black freezer, this might be your last chance before they are gone, unless they add a new black model in the future.

I have just ordered the new model (white Kenmore #12912, and will post here with the measurements soon.
So, upon measuring, the major difference with this versus the previous Kenmore 8.8, is the size of the hump. It should still allow the same number of Pinlock kegs once a collar is installed (which is what I am using it for), but only 4 will be on the floor instead of 5. 2 must be on the hump. This is a minor drawback in my opinion.

Here's the information:
Kenmore 9cf chest freezer - white
Kenmore Item# 04612912000 | Model# 12912

http://www.kenmore.com/kitchen-refrigerators-freezers-chest-freezers/b-1040199
Colors Available: White
Availability: In-store, Online
Everyday Pricing: Sears: paid 280+tax (MSRP supposedly $480)

Exterior Dimensions
My measurements:: 43.25" left-right, 35" up-down, 25" front-to-back
Mfgr claims:
Depth (in.): 23.5
Height w/Door Closed (In.): 35
Height w/Door Open (In.): 56.0
Width (in.): 43

Internal: 36" wide, 16.5" front-back, 29" up-down. Hump is on left.
Hump: full depth (16.5"), 10" high by 11.25" wide

Wiring: Has a extra "power" light on the front which allowed me to put in a STC-1000 without extra wiring/pigtails -- just pulled wires from light and thermostat, and plugged into STC-1000.
No internal light.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hard work!!! Just bought the Maytag and am planning the build. The guide is AWESOME!!!

Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

NbnnITF.png

I also have measurements for the Kenmore 12912 from user andrewmaixner. Thanks!

I'm not super active here anymore (real life getting in the way), so not sure how long it will take to draw up and post.

In case I never get to it, here's the details for anybody interested:

Kenmore 9cf chest freezer - white
Kenmore Item# 04612912000 | Model# 12912

http://www.kenmore.com/kitchen-refri...zers/b-1040199
Everyday Pricing: Sears: paid 280+tax (MSRP supposedly $480)

Exterior Dimensions
My measurements:: 43.25" left-right, 35" up-down, 25" front-to-back
Mfgr claims:
Depth (in.): 23.5
Height w/Door Closed (In.): 35
Height w/Door Open (In.): 56.0
Width (in.): 43

Internal: 36" wide, 16.5" front-back, 29" up-down. Hump is on left.
Hump: full depth (16.5"), 10" high by 11.25" wide

Wiring: Has a extra "power" light on the front which allowed me to put in a STC-1000 without extra wiring/pigtails -- just pulled wires from light and thermostat, and plugged into STC-1000.
No internal light.

Reporting New Freezer Models

Over time, new models are released and existing models are reworked or retired. New models will be added and indexed here once drawings have been completed. I hope to keep up with changes as they come over time.

Which Models Are Supported

I can't support every model that has ever been produced. As a general rule of thumb, let's keep it to models that are chest freezers, have been manufactured within the last 10 years, and is made to run on 120V (sorry, Brits). Yes, I'm willing to draw up something for your CraigsList find that is no longer in production as long as it meets the above criteria and you can supply me with the necessary measurements.

Requesting Drawings for a Qualifying Model

Gather the information below, assemble it, and reply to this thread with it.

Required Information to Produce the Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings

When reporting a new model, you'll need to provide the following information for me to be able to create the spec sheet and layout drawings.

• Brand Name, Capacity and Model Number
    Ex: GE 14.9cf FCM15SUWW
  • Colors Available
    Ex: White, Black
  • Availability
    Ex: In-store, Online
  • Everyday Pricing
    Ex: $489 @ Lowe's, $499 @ Home Depot, $515 @ Sears
  • Exterior Dimensions
    Ex: 48-5/16" W x 29-5/8" D x 36" H
  • Interior Dimensions
    Ex: 42-7/8" W x 22-1/4" D x 30" H
  • Compressor Hump Size
    Ex: 9-5/8" W x 22-1/4" D x 10-5/8" H
    Note: If it's easier for you to measure the space from the hump to the lid, that's fine too.
  • Special Features
    Ex: Thermostat control has a refrigerator setting that runs the unit at 38ºF without the use of an external controller.

How to Take Measurements

I'm sure we're all capable with a tape measure. However, it's not uncommon to find two people post different measurements for the same freezer. We're only human, after all! Consistency can be easily achieved if we use the same criteria when measuring.

• Take all measurements to a precision of 1/16".
  • For interior measurements, always round down to the nearest 1/16".
  • For exterior measurements, always round up to the nearest 1/16".
  • Include the height of the wheels in the exterior measurement, if installed.

Thadius,

You have a spot reserved for this model, wanted to see if you could mock it up for me? Found someone with one on Craigslist and looking to buy it.

Product details can be found here: http://www.frigidaire.com/Owner-Center/Product-Support--Manuals/?productCode=FFC0723DW

The essentials are:

Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft FFC0723GB5 (black, same as FFC0723DW, white)
Found on Craigslist, discontinued model
Exterior:
Height: 34-1/4"
Height (Include Lid): 34-1/4"
Height with Lid Open 90°: 55-5/16"
Width: 35"
Depth: 23-1/4"
Interior:
Interior Height: 28-3/4"
Interior Width: 30"
Interior Depth: 16-1/2"
Compressor Hump Size:
System Compartment Height: 10"
System Compartment Width: 11-1/8"

Thanks!

The Danby 5.5 cu ft will not hold 3 ball locks on the floor. At least not mine. Made the mistake of trying to shove the third one down because it is close to being able to fit and it was not fun to get it back out. lol

I am glad I decided to search this thread. I was considering this one since it is down to $159 with free shipping at Walmart. I was concerned about how tight the layout looked and this just answered my question.

Frigidaire 12.9cf LFCH13M2MW

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

eQjX6k2.png

The exterior dimension is listed as smaller than the interior dimension. Thanks for generating and tabulating all this information. I'm finding it very helpful when considering my keezer design.

I purchased the GE 5.0 cu ft. model FCM5SHBWW. It differs slightly from the FCM5SUWW that's available in this thread. Here are my measurements.

Exterior - 28 1/2" W x 19 1/2" D x 33 5/8" H
Interior - 23 5/8" W x 14 5/8" D x 28" H
Hump - 8 1/4" W x 14 5/8" D x 8 3/8" H
Hump Side - Right

One pin lock keg fits on the floor. A pin lock sitting on the hump extends approximately 2 1/4" above the top of the freezer edge.

With a collar, three pin lock kegs and three 5# tanks will fit. The middle keg touches just on the lip of the hump so some sort of bracing platform would be needed on the floor.

Hopefully this is helpful for the thread.

I just got the 10.6cf freezer from home depot delivered and it certainly will easily hold 7 corny kegs, but it does need a small collar to allow the lid to close with the gas and liquid connections attached. This is disappointing, as I did not want to mess with a collar on this. A simple 2x4 laying flat will be enough to get the job done.

I'm in the market for a ~7 cu ft freezer. However, none of the 7 cu ft models mentioned in this thread are available for purchase anymore (at least not where I live).

What I want is something that can hold 4 ball lock and is under $300. Retailers in my area include: Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot, HH Gregg, Wal Mart, and Lowes. Can anyone recommend a model for me?

I'm in the market for a ~7 cu ft freezer. However, none of the 7 cu ft models mentioned in this thread are available for purchase anymore (at least not where I live).

What I want is something that can hold 4 ball lock and is under $300. Retailers in my area include: Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot, HH Gregg, Wal Mart, and Lowes. Can anyone recommend a model for me?

I actually have the 10 cu ft igloo from best buy and love it. Comes with built in refrigerator mode so you don't even need a temp controller.

$148

http://homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-6-9-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-HMCF7W2/203445397

7 cu foot. Should fit six ball locks.

Correction to prior post
Model is Haier HCM071PA

Lots of space for two carboys

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm looking to make the Haier HCM071PA (from Sams) my keezer. Do you know how many kegs would fit in here?
Thanks

I'm looking to make the Haier HCM071PA (from Sams) my keezer. Do you know how many kegs would fit in here?
Thanks

I don't I'm afraid. I fit two 6G carboys comfortably in mine. I made cutout disks of their dimensions with me to Sam's to check. I think 5 cornys would fit, 4 easily but I would make the cutouts and try them in. That way you can be sure.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer

I was honestly going to take the actual ball locks in. I have no problem walking into Sam's looking like a crazy person (I think I'll fit in better that way :D)
I will add my findings this weekend.
Thanks

Igloo FRF1050 10.6 cu ft (note: Website says 10.0; Freezer tag say 10.6)

Everyday Pricing: $259 on sale (Regular 399.99) @ BestBuy

Exterior Dimensions: 42-15/16" W x 25-7/8" D x 33-1/8" H (according to manufacturer specs)

Interior Dimensions: 37-1/4" W x 19" D x 26-3/4" H

Compressor Hump Size: 9" W x 19" D x 9" H, Hump is on the right

Special Features: Unlike some other igloo freezers, this does not have the refrigeration setting.

This model should be able to hold 8 ball lock kegs with a collar - 6 on the bottom and 2 on the hump.

Wow, so much helpful information in this thread, thanks!
Similar problem here as the quote above. I'm looking for a current model 7cf that can fit 4 ball locks on the floor and. 5 lb tank on the hump without a collar. Any ideas?

I found a ke more 12702 7.0 cf, but not the 18702 7.2 cf. anyone know anything about this model? If it lost .2 cf maybe it won't hold 4 ball lock and a co2 without a collar like the 18702?

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-7.0-cu...0009936&sellerId=SEARS&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

You might have to go measure. If you aren't too constrained on space/time and can pay a few more dollars though, the 9cf goes on sale for $280 on occasion. More space to move things around is nice.

I think this is the replacement model according to the HD website.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM7SHWW/205462818

Four on the floor fits like a glove just like everyone has shown. It is tight though.

It is a little more pricey but I have been looking to upgrade to this option: the Denby 8.1. It is only a little bit bigger but it should be able to hold five on the floor with a little room to breathe.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-8-...-Chest-Freezer-in-White-DCF081A1WDD/205791284

I found a ke more 12702 7.0 cf, but not the 18702 7.2 cf. anyone know anything about this model? If it lost .2 cf maybe it won't hold 4 ball lock and a co2 without a collar like the 18702?

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-7.0-cu...0009936&sellerId=SEARS&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I think the best thing as suggested would be to measure the inside. Then you can be sure. From there'd I'd probably put masking tape on the floor that is the same size as the floor of the freezer and then cut out little circles the size of the keg and see if they fit. Vertically you shouldn't have any problems. I have a tiny 3.4 cft freezer and I can cram 3 kegs in there with the gas hanging outside. Also, keep in mind, the gas contracts with colder temps, so the CO2 tank will show lower pressure while in the freezer. I prefer mine to be outside with just a small .5" hole in the collar for the hose, this makes it easier to remove and refill the tank.

Thanks for the response. I decided 3 kegs was plenty and am in the middle of a 5.0cf idylis build from lowes. Will finish and post pictures in a week.

Back