Chest freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superstorm

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've been looking into getting a chest freezer to keep my carboy in for fermentation because last summer I used a swamp cooler and it was such a pain that I don't want to hassle with it again. I'm planning on getting a chest freezer so I won't have to deal with any of that, but I have some questions. I'm planning on getting this igloo freezer in the link below, but I'd like to get a freezer that can fit 2 carboys while I'm at it. Should I get the 7.2 cubic foot freezer instead if I wanna fit 2 and is igloo a good brand? I'm also planning on using the temperature controller in the link below, but will it work with this chest freezer? I saw other igloo models on best buy's website and it says non convertible to a refrigerator, it also says that the highest temperature it reaches on Home Depot's website is 11 degrees. So can the temperature controller override this and keep it at the right temperature?
http://m.homedepot.com/p/IGLOO-5-2-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FRF452/204342540/

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/johnson-digital-temperature-controller.html

Hey everyone, so I've been looking into getting a chest freezer to keep my carboy in for fermentation because last summer I used a swamp cooler and it was such a pain that I don't want to hassle with it again. I'm planning on getting a chest freezer so I won't have to deal with any of that, but I have some questions. I'm planning on getting this igloo freezer in the link below, but I'd like to get a freezer that can fit 2 carboys while I'm at it. Should I get the 7.2 cubic foot freezer instead if I wanna fit 2 and is igloo a good brand? I'm also planning on using the temperature controller in the link below, but will it work with this chest freezer? I saw other igloo models on best buy's website and it says non convertible to a refrigerator, it also says that the highest temperature it reaches on Home Depot's website is 11 degrees. So can the temperature controller override this and keep it at the right temperature?
http://m.homedepot.com/p/IGLOO-5-2-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FRF452/204342540/

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/johnson-digital-temperature-controller.html
You need a 7.1 - 7.2 cu. ft. chest to fit two carboys (or buckets).

Brew on :mug:

The temperature controller will basically turn on and off the freezer to keep the temperature at what the controller is set to. The 11 degree figure is for the thermostat on the freezer, itself, but you won't be using that.

I have temperature controllers on a chest freezer set to about 36F (2C) and one on an old refrigerator set to about 68F that I am using as a fermentation chamber.

My only hesitation about using a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber is hauling carboys in and out of them. It can be a bit cumbersome moving with that much weight in and out of a freezer like that. Putting the carboys in milk crates or using carboy haulers will probably help.

The temperature controller will basically turn on and off the freezer to keep the temperature at what the controller is set to. The 11 degree figure is for the thermostat on the freezer, itself, but you won't be using that.

I have temperature controllers on a chest freezer set to about 36F (2C) and one on an old refrigerator set to about 68F that I am using as a fermentation chamber.

My only hesitation about using a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber is hauling carboys in and out of them. It can be a bit cumbersome moving with that much weight in and out of a freezer like that. Putting the carboys in milk crates or using carboy haulers will probably help.

So you're saying that I can get a chest freezer and use that temperature controller, and won't have any problems keeping the temperature in the 60 degree range because it overrides the chest freezer's thermostat? I was just curious wether or not it was capable of reaching the 60 degree range since it said that 11 degrees was the maximum. Good point about the milk crates, I'll have to use some.

I have a 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezer w/an external temp controller. You plug the freezer into the controller and the controller into the wall. Then set the freezer to MAX cold. The external controller will turn it off and on as needed to meet you setting on the external controller. Mine is now set to 60*F and internal is 65*F w/2 2 gallon fermenters.

Just something to think about with your controller....

I live in a climate where it some days are hotter than fermentation temps and some are colder. I find it helps to have a controller that can both heat AND cool (I use STC1000) with a heat pad inside the fridge/freezer connected to the heating outlet (this also helps with ramping temperatures up). I'm not familiar with the one you are looking at (maybe it does have both).

I 2nd the STC 1000. Far more affordable, just as functional. You could get a smaller chest freezer, just build a "collar." I chose to get 2 used micro fridges (around 4 cubic feet), bent down the cooling rack carefully, and had 2 fermentation chambers. One can cold crash while the other is at cool ferm temps, or warmer ferm temps to finish off the batch. But whatever works for you is the way to go. It's your brewery! Cheers.

If you live in a warm humid climate, you might consider a large refrigerator over a freezer. A freezer has no humidity control and often gets very damp from condensation, leading to a moldy mess inside the freezer kept at warmer temperatures. Just my experience...

Much easier loading a fridge than a chest freezer, and you might even find one cheap on craigslist....

If you live in a warm humid climate, you might consider a large refrigerator over a freezer. A freezer has no humidity control and often gets very damp from condensation, leading to a moldy mess inside the freezer kept at warmer temperatures. Just my experience...

That's why I use one of these inside all of my chest freezers on temperature controllers.

Initially, I wanted to go with refrigerators, but the issue I was running into was that I could not find any that were tall enough for a carboy and airlock, but not as tall as a full-height refrigerator. Moreover, they all had a freezer compartment which was either in the way (in small refrigerators) or would be rendered useless by the temperature controller (in full-height refrigerators).

On the other hand, Craigslist was awash with used chest freezers, so that's what I ended up buying. I recharge the dehumidifiers every couple of months, and give the freezers a thorough cleaning with some Clorox whenever they're emptied (between fermenting batches, or when all my kegs happen to run dry).

Last edited by a moderator:
I recharge the dehumidifiers every couple of months, and give the freezers a thorough cleaning with some Clorox whenever they're emptied (between fermenting batches, or when all my kegs happen to run dry).

My experience as well, chest freezers work well, but come with more required upkeep and "exercise". I'm very happy with a large bottom freezer fridge for serving. Stays nice and dry and clean inside, likely uses more power doing so FWIW.

Never tried a dehumidifier inside the chest freezer, that just seemed like another mouth to feed :)

True - a chest freezer will collect some mold along the way. Fermentations give off a lot of moisture.

A chest freezer is easy to clean. I just wipe it down with bleach cleaner after each use. It's not that much work.

I use a dehumidifier in my keezer, but not my chest freezer. I don't think it would be able to keep up with the amount of moisture being generated.

I also have a 7.2cuft. freezer that I've turned into a fermentation chamber, and I absolutely love it.

If you're handy with a pair of pliers and a dremel tool, you can build a great temperature control unit that will handle heating AND cooling for half the price of that unit you posted.

RQipmMQ.jpg

GdkzQlj.jpg

uAm7noB.jpg

I also have a 7.2cuft. freezer that I've turned into a fermentation chamber, and I absolutely love it.

If you're handy with a pair of pliers and a dremel tool, you can build a great temperature control unit that will handle heating AND cooling for half the price of that unit you posted.

RQipmMQ.jpg

GdkzQlj.jpg

uAm7noB.jpg

Where can I find the plans for this? I'm on a budget, so anything I can savage or build is a win.

Thanks!

You can also use an STC-1000+ which was developed by @alphaomega. You can get flashable versions of the STC-1000, various levels of DIY, all the way to turn-key STC-1000+ controllers from BrewsbySmith.com and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494475.

The STC-1000+ modifies (flashes new firmware programming) into a suitable version of and STC-1000 (beware there are multiple version available on the web) to allow it to display °C or °F, create multi-step temp profiles with ramps and holds, plus other useful capabilities.

Brew on :mug:

Back