Chest freezer fermenter smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiterNick

Reaction score
So I have always used basement or closest to ferment in and fermentation smelled great! I recently converted a chest freezer into a fermentation chamber and now it smells great for the first 3-5 days, but around the time I pull it out it is not so good. Maybe the concentration of CO2 is too high. It doesn't smell bad exactly, just not good. The beer has always been fine. I have been thinking about setting up a fan or something, although I should probably just not worry about it...whenever I take a batch out to keg I get worried until I have a beer and it tastes and smells fine...

I would say it is just the aromas getting stale in that closed environment . I would think that a little air circulation would be better if only from a germ breeding stand point . If you close up a fridge and it is not on then it gets to smelling quite stale .

Fermentation generates a lot of moisture. It'll start to smell a little funky after a while. I usually air mine out between batches. I also clean it with some bleach spray every now and then.

I've been contemplating ways to add some sort of vent system to mine to get rid of the gas and moisture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't got this far with my brewing yet, so I admit that I do not have any experience. But would a box of baking soda sitting in there help neutralize any odors?

Kenny T

Last edited by a moderator:
I've a fan in both of my fermenters and have never had any smell other than that of fermenting beer. As for Eva-dry, they don't work here in the southwest. DampRid is the only way to go, other than bringing them inside.

image.jpg

Back