Chest Freezer - Compressor Hump Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffm33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 5.0cf GE FCM5SHWW which is an updated version of the FCM5SUWW. I am looking for the largest fermentation vessel I can get on the hump without adding a collar. The 3 gallon BB is too tall to fit with an airlock (doubtful a blowoff would fit either).

Anyone doing something similar?

I have a 5 cu ft, but different brand. I'm able to set a 3 gal glass carboy on the hump with a mod. I soldered a right-angle tube from some 1/4" copper pipe and a 90-degree elbow. I then pushed it through a rubber stopper and attached blowoff tubing. With that in place, the total height is 17". It just fits inside my chamber on the hump.

Interesting!

I did find that a 12L Speidel will fit comfortably. The 20L will fit, but not with an airlock. But I bet something creative would get it working (akin to what you have). Would be great if there was something more rectangular.

Here's a pic of the stopper/tube thing I made. The overall height is only about 3/4" above the mouth of the carboy if the stopper is pushed down tight.

LowProfileBlowoff_zps5epum06d.jpg

out of curiosity: any reason you don't want to use a collar? I was able to throw one together pretty easily from some rigid insulation and silicone caulk. I still use the chest freezer lid as the top. I can fit one 6.5 bucket next to the hump, then the second one rests on top of the first and the hump.

Once change I made was I added a fan to better distribute air.

Just a thought.

Back