cherry off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigT

Reaction score
so my first 15 or so batches of beer have mostly all turned out pretty damn good. i think around my 7th batch or so i started with all grain, with really good results. but my last 4 batches have all had this same off flavor that i can really only describe as like a slight cherry hint, but enough that it completely takes away from what the beer should taste like. after the second batch with this off flavor i did two more batches going back to extract to see if simplifying things might help but no luck. i am always extremely careful about oxidation after having one batch ruined from that. and i fermented the first two in the upper 60s, the second two around 73. has anyone else ever had this problem??

What kind of fermenters? Glass or plastic? Assuming you've used different yeasts across each brew, I'd assume fermenters(most likely) or some other equipment. I don't know if you're kegging or bottling either, so give us a little bit more info. Hopefully something simple.

Cheers!

I've been kegging. But these last four you could taste in the sample from the fermentor (plastic) and yeah I've used I think three different yeasts none of which I had gone above the recommended temps.

Since you're using a plastic fermenter, it may be worth it to try a new one, be it glass or plastic. It can certainly happen where off flavors/bacteria/what have you can leech into the plastic. If it's driving you up the wall, might be a good investment.

maybe ill try switching to glass carboys. truthfully i guess im not extremely thorough with cleaning my buckets. i just rinse and scrub them with water after i empty one til theres nothing visible left, then i just use star san in it when im ready to put another batch in. so maybe its worth a try to switch to glass

Even just a new bucket might do it. I think your cleaning routine is probably OK, but it is one constant over the four bad batches.

What about water? Summertime municipal water may have more chlorine/chloramine? Do you use campden tabs to treat your water against these things?

Yeah, I'm wondering if you've ever done a sour in there and/or any brett. That'd be big on being the culprit.

No I never have done either. I use well water which always worked fine. But I've never had it tested.

"truthfully i guess im not extremely thorough with cleaning my buckets. i just rinse and scrub them with water after i empty one til theres nothing visible left...[then] starsan"
bingo!

(stepping from the crowd) Hey folks, excuse me while I climb up onto my little soap box: "Sanitizing is not cleaning".

Get some kind of soap, it really works. I prefer the generic Sun brand Oxygen cleaner but lots of peeps also have success with Oxiclean or PBW - just get something that doesn't have perfumes or other carp in it.

Simply rinsing your brewing equipment with water (hot or otherwise) will leave a tiny amount of residue behind, it will then promote bacterial growth in your next batch of wert. Eeew! Even if you sanitize the bucket before use, this only addresses the top layer of potential contaminates. You must wash with surfactants to remove the whole shebang.

This:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oxygen-Cleaner-All-Purpose-Stain-Remover-Powder/13908578

- M

Hey thanks everybody for your advice I guess I have a few things to try with my next batch. starting with really cleaning all my equipment.

bingo!

(stepping from the crowd) Hey folks, excuse me while I climb up onto my little soap box: "Sanitizing is not cleaning".

Get some kind of soap, it really works. I prefer the generic Sun brand Oxygen cleaner but lots of peeps also have success with Oxiclean or PBW - just get something that doesn't have perfumes or other carp in it.

Simply rinsing your brewing equipment with water (hot or otherwise) will leave a tiny amount of residue behind, it will then promote bacterial growth in your next batch of wert. Eeew! Even if you sanitize the bucket before use, this only addresses the top layer of potential contaminates. You must wash with surfactants to remove the whole shebang.

This:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oxygen-Cleaner-All-Purpose-Stain-Remover-Powder/13908578

- M

+2 to that...and this:

something that doesn't have perfumes or other carp in it.

Mmmmm Carp. Delicious Carp. :D

Back