Cherry Blonde...... Your thoughts please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboyrsl

Reaction score
So my roomate and I are brewing our third batch and were orginally going to brew a cherry IPA but after consulting with you guys on here we've changed our plans to a cherry blonde. here is our recipe.

8lbs 2 row
1lb Crystal 20
1oz cascade hops at 60 min

our yeast is a packet yeast that I forget the name of

My question is we are hoping to combine a half gal or 1 gal of 100% pure cherry juice (pasterized) made from concentrate and doing another 1lb of cherries we are going to boil, puree and then add to secondary. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?? Thanks

Fruit always is better in the secondary. If not using a secondary, wait until most action has stopped, you don't want all the goodies flying right out of the blow off. Fresh fruit works better if frozen at some point, I pureed, then boiled, then froze in sanitized Zip Lock Freezer Bags. Freezing breaks down the cell walls better to release more flavor/aroma. Last time I did cherries it was about six cans of cherries in their own juice. I just detected a hint of cherries in my five gallon batch.

I likes me some fruit in my beer, Wits are good for that as well.
Cheers.:mug:

Fruit always is better in the secondary. If not using a secondary, wait until most action has stopped, you don't want all the goodies flying right out of the blow off. Fresh fruit works better if frozen at some point, I pureed, then boiled, then froze in sanitized Zip Lock Freezer Bags. Freezing breaks down the cell walls better to release more flavor/aroma. Last time I did cherries it was about six cans of cherries in their own juice. I just detected a hint of cherries in my five gallon batch.

I likes me some fruit in my beer, Wits are good for that as well.
Cheers.:mug:

How much cherries do you recommend for a 5 gal batch

1 - 1 1/2 # I'd say. Pasteurize in a nylon bag and stick them in the secondary for a good 7-14 days :mug:

I used 4.5lbs of frozen pitted cherries in my wheat and had to use some artificial cherry to get any flavor. Color was fantastic though! Next time I plan on using either some frozen concentrated cherry juice or 10lbs of cherries. I wouldnt use actual cherry juice (as in comes in a 128oz plastic container) as your going to water down your beer alot.

Back