Cherries in the Snow Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuldawg

Reaction score
So I wanted to create the "Cherries in the Snow" recipe from the Joy of Homebrewing book (good old Charlie P.). I went to my LHBS to get the supplies and advice. I will list the recipe I created and then ask for some suggestions.

9.9 Mutons Extra Light Malt Extract (liquid)
1.5 Tettnang (German) Hops- boil
0.5 Tettnang (German) Hops- finish
10 Cans 14.5 oz Tart Cherrie (in water, unsweetened, de-pitted) and 1 lb frozen sweet black cherries
Wyeast smackpack American Ale (4.25)

Boil LME and hops for 60 mins
Remove boiling hops; Add cherries (and all juices from can) along with finishing hops. Steep for 15 mins at temps between 160- 180 degrees
Add everything from pot along with distilled water to 5 gallon
Primary- 5 days, then strain
Secondary- 14 days or till clear

The first major change from the original recipe was the malt exact. It called for 8lbs. However the cans came in 3.3lbs. I was originally thinking I could just measure the last can out, but that slipped my mind due to the anticipation. So 9.9 lbs it is. I believe this will bring up the ABV% from 5ish to 8ish. No worries. My second issue is I do not own a 5 gallon carboy nor can I buy one right now. So either I use my 6 gal one and leave some headspace or fill with distiller water, or I can split it up between my 3 gal carboy and 2 gal bucket. If I go this route I think I am going to add some (hint) sweet cherry flavoring to the 2 gal as a test batch with the extra flavoring. I plan on doing secondary in 4 days

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I am just looking forward to drinking some cherry beer!

Either way I think you'll be fine for the secondary. In my experience, racking to a secondary gets some of the yeast back into suspension and a little more fermentation action takes place. That should push some or most of the air at the top of your secondary which is what you're worried about. Racking to two secondaries will give you more options. I can't see how you could lose!!!

I'll be expecting a bottle (or two ;) )

Update:

Transferred to secondary last night: 2 parts.
- 3 gallon original batch
- 2 gallon flavored; added 1 oz. cherry flavor + Tbs. Honey. Mixed both in to 1 cup boiling distilled water, cooled and gentley mixed.

OG- 1.081
Current- 1.021

Awesome color & has a nice tart taste so far

image-4198492614.jpg

image-1272310559.jpg

Back