Chem Engineering student trying to put an education to work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a newby from the west side of Chicago. I am currently a student at UIC and figured that this is the perfect hobby to pick up for the new year/ winter break. I have had a passion for beer since my German girlfriend brought me back a few presents from Germany. I am still in the gathering information stages perusing forums and flipping through How To Brew. Hopefully this forum can help me out and make getting in to this hobby easier. :mug:

Welcome Chicago! You'll have a great time with the hobby. Unfortunately there is no distallation column to design/fab with homebrewing or you could get extra credit for your course work.

<--- ChemE grad from Minnesota Duluth '98 (might as well be a century ago)

Welcome! There's a brand new Brew and Grow on Madison and Morgan in the west loop that just opened up. It's a great place to go and pick the brains of the brewers. Plus you can sample some HB and get recipes.

You can also take your brew there for them to sample if you want some feedback to your beer.

Cheers!:mug:

Hey! I just got some home brew stuff too, and I'm a ChemE grad from the University of Houston. I graduated this May and I was lucky enough to find a job, which will support this hobby, haha.

Good luck man!

Madison and Morgan is actually pretty close to my apartment so I am sure I will spend a good amount of time there. As for getting extra credit for my course work that would have been pretty awesome if I could get extra credit for making beer.

Did the storm hit ChiTown? I remember many a cold, snowy childhood winter about 20 miles south.

This is probably the best place to get started brewing these days, but there are many good books on the subject as well.

I just Lake forest from this past weekend and it sprinkled snow for a few minutes. I'm actually a bit surprised it hasn't dumped on the midwest yet. Chem student here from Indiana. Keep reading and scouring the forums, its the way to go

Welcome aboard and congrats on picking a great hobby! This forum has so much great information on it! Don't be afraid to do a search. If you have a question, good chance someone else has already asked it, and many have answered (numerous times!)!!! I'm an engineer as well! Civil, University Of Wyoming '03!

Hey all! Uber n00b here... Three batches in and yet to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Reading a lot about waiting... Getting really excited about the possibilities, and thirsty! Also noticing a lot of IT pros like myself are beer geeks, makes sense i guess. Anyway thanks for the awesome forum space, loving the posts!

Lol why jealous? My girlfriend is from Lake Forest and good friend from Glenview, both of whom are paying out the ass to go to IU. ~30k per year. I paid right about 8k per year being instate. I dont understand why kids don't go instate to save their parents loads of money.

Lol why jealous? My girlfriend is from Lake Forest and good friend from Glenview, both of whom are paying out the ass to go to IU. ~30k per year. I paid right about 8k per year being instate. I dont understand why kids don't go instate to save their parents loads of money.

When kids have GTRs and Maseratis I think they can afford the tuition but the jealousy comes from visiting during Halloween and Little 5 both of which were extremely fun

Fair enough :mug:

Yeah I know several of the Asian guys with those cars. 700hp GTR, C63 AMG's, things like that. They are actually modest guys surprisingly.

Glad you enjoyed the school, now I'm alumni though so enjoy it for me haha

Back