Hello from germany: MattMill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmill

Made in Germany
Reaction score
Hi,
my name is Matthias Hoßfeld, living in west germany at the border to france and luxemboug.
I do brew beer at home since 1986.
I am an old-school master mechanical engineer and run my own business with homebrew equipment as inventor, developer and manufacturer of my MattMill products.
This china stuff of soft roller malt mills got on my nerves and since 2006 I produce my own equipment, such as MattMill Kompakt and the ingenious Lauterhelix. It revolutionized the home brew scene in germany and after a while in parts of europe.
And I am proud of it, because its innovative and in best quality, handcrafted and made in Germany in best sense. :)
Now i am curious to read in your forum.
Please don't hesitate to ask, if there are any questions.
best regards
Matthias
PS: please forgive me my german sounding english! :)

Hi,
my name is Matthias Hoßfeld, living in west germany at the border to france and luxemboug.
I do brew beer at home since 1986.
I am an old-school master mechanical engineer and run my own business with homebrew equipment as inventor, developer and manufacturer of my MattMill products.
This china stuff of soft roller malt mills got on my nerves and since 2006 I produce my own equipment, such as MattMill Kompakt and the ingenious Lauterhelix. It revolutionized the home brew scene in germany and after a while in parts of europe.
And I am proud of it, because its innovative and in best quality, handcrafted and made in Germany in best sense. :)
Now i am curious to read in your forum.
Please don't hesitate to ask, if there are any questions.
best regards
Matthias
PS: please forgive me my german sounding english! :)

Is your equipment available in the US?

Hi @Mattmill !
I'm glad to see you here and I hope you really are ok with questions, as I have a few lined up :)
I'm interested in your mills. They *seem* really nice, but unfortunately information is scarce when ones german skills are... Well, lacking..

Ok, so what I want in a mill is:
* A nice crush (of course)
* Compactness/mobility
* Motorization/handsfree operation
* Speed is not a concern

I've seen your videos, and I've got a similar looking motor (24V, geared, ~50RPM) that I think would be ideal. I'm considering the 'kompakt', (the 'student' would probably be good enough by all means, but the 'kompakt' is not that much more expensive and it looks like better value, also the 'student' does not seem to be available in sweden).

So, what I want to know is:
I want to make an 'adapter plate' for the motor if/when I get a 'kompakt'. And I'd like to make a template (for drilling the holes) for that. I'm thinking about replacing the bolts with longer ones and having them go though the adapter plate as well.
Could I ask you for the exact locations and sizes of the bolt holes, the shaft and the size of the side (like a drawing)?
What diameter is the shaft?
Do you have any 'lessons learned' you can share from motorizing the 'kompakt'?

I won't lie, your mills aren't exactly cheap, but I have to say they do seem like the most attractive offering out there (to me at least).

Cheers from Sweden!

@Lefty17:
Yes, the innovative LauterHelix, some of my false bottoms and my MattMill Kompakt is available at Austin Homebrew Supplies.
It is imported by two german-american friends, beginning a US distribution.

@alphaomega:
Please contact me by E-Mail, I fear, here is not space enough to answer your questions. I will tell you my experiences and answer all of your requests.

Back