Checking In From Austin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashman

Reaction score
Home brewed for years (bottles) then quit for about a decade and now back into it doing kegging with the encouragement of a few HB friends. Some stuff's still the same, but there sure have been equipment improvements. Still, it's still all about yeast, hops, grain, water, cookin' and good times.

You are correct that it is still about yeast, water, hops, grain, cookin' and good times. Welcome to the forum.

welcome back to the addiction. manchaca's right outside of buda, isn't it? i passed through there on a meandering road trip from arlington to the hill country once

Welcome back to the fun ;) What are you gonna' brew up for your first brew back? Any old favorite recipes?

I'm in Austin! Looking to get together with a group of brewers in the area if anyone is interested.

You're welcome to join the Brew Crew. We'll accept anyone, so long as they brew or bring beer. I wouldn't exactly call us a club, but we do get together at least once a month (usually more) and do a brewery tour followed by beer drinking at someone's house. About half are brewers and the rest know how to drink it. Just to give you the demographics: we're mostly 40 and 50 somethings, so far all of us are IT people, mostly veterans, mostly south Austin types. We mostly hang out, talk about beer and The Meaning of Life, cook brats and listen to music. And, oh yeah, drink beer.

If the precceding and this photo taken last weekend doesn't scare you off, we're planning to tour Jester King this Saturday and you're welcome to join. The Crew said to extend the same invitation to any other brave and foolhardy homebrewers in the area.

IMG_2333.jpg

You're welcome to join the Brew Crew. We'll accept anyone, so long as they brew or bring beer. I wouldn't exactly call us a club, but we do get together at least once a month (usually more) and do a brewery tour followed by beer drinking at someone's house. About half are brewers and the rest know how to drink it. Just to give you the demographics: we're mostly 40 and 50 somethings, so far all of us are IT people, mostly veterans, mostly south Austin types. We mostly hang out, talk about beer and The Meaning of Life, cook brats and listen to music. And, oh yeah, drink beer.

If the precceding and this photo taken last weekend doesn't scare you off, we're planning to tour Jester King this Saturday and you're welcome to join. The Crew said to extend the same invitation to any other brave and foolhardy homebrewers in the area.

Great pic!

Sounds like fun, unfortunately I work weekends this month. Keep me posted on when you guys get together though, I'll make it out. I'm 27, veteran also and an APD officer.

Too bad about the work schedule, but I'll keep you posted and maybe you can make it to a gathering next month. Unfortunately, most of the brewery tours I'm aware of in the Austin area occur on Saturdays: Independence, Thirsty Planet (note the spiffy "club uniform" Thirsty Goat shirts), Live Oak, Jester King and less regularly 512 and Circle. We still plan to make it out to Blanco for a tour and those are on Friday. We do get together sometimes during the week to brew, but since we're working M-F, it's usually a weekend thing for us.

I'll extend the same offer to any other Austin area HB fans. We're always looking to meet fellow brewers.

We even have a FB page (IT guys, you'd expect no less) but its private membership so you'd have to friend me on Facebook to gain admittance.

Samdino, slalomskifreak and any other Austinites:

We always do a First Saturday gathering (even if we sometimes slip to the second Saturday) & here's our plan for today: we will meet at Jester King at 1:00 today. They're at 13005 Fitzhugh Road in SW Austin. We have two guys out of town and a third prepping for the gathering after the tour. We'll be the ones in Thirsty Goat and Homo Erectus (don't ask) shirts.

At 4:00, we'll be having a cookout at a Crew member's house in Cedar Creek. It's his daughter's post graduation get together for the Crew, beer & brats kind of thing. You're welcome to come. If you have some sample homebrews please bring them, otherwise there's the time honored tradition of the Spec's Run where we grab something interesting that doesn't have Lite in its name out of the cooler.

Hope to see you at one or both events today. We figure more brewers = a greater variety of beer and recipes.

BTW, I have a Baltic porter and a ginger-lemongrass going into the secondary today and will be brewing a hefe and a doppel bock this weekend.

Back