Checking gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tclary2

Reaction score
How long do you wait before you check beer during 1st fermentation period? When is it OK to take lid off bucket without messing anything up?

Personally, I wait a couple weeks or longer depending on the SG, yeast and style. Some people are religious about checking gravity every few days until it's at their FG. To me, the more you check, the more change you have for contamination. I'm also a lot more patient in my brewing now than I was years ago.

After I feel the fermentation has completed, to coincide with a reason for opening the fermenter. For example if I am dry hopping the beer after I feel the beer has completed fermentation but is still "cleaning itself up" I will take a gravity sample. Most of the time I am more concerned with the taste/aroma of the sample and the hydrometer reading is for record keeping. No need to open it twice if you don't need to.

Even though your fermentation might be complete in a week or less, it's common practice to let it sit to clean up a bit. A good rule of thumb is two weeks for average strength beers, or 3 for larger beers.

yup, 3 weeks here. Then dry hop if need be or, if not, I leave it for a few more days before kegging/bottling.

I check on it before most that have posted. 10 days usually for me. If the gravity is the same at day 4 or 5 days later, i'll just bottle unless its a very high OG batch

I usually wait 2 weeks before checking gravity to see how close it is to done. But making my ESB with rehydrated S-04, I checked it the first time at 10 days & it was already done & clearing! So it depends on yeast pitch, temps & other conditions. But once it's at FG, I give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Back