Check your order........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Reaction score
About nine months ago I ordered 12 pounds each of pale malt and pale wheat malt.

I picked it up and stuck it in my freezer for two months to kill any weevils and their eggs. Pulled it out and put it on the shelf.

Yesterday I decided to brew and pulled this down. When I opened it to my surprise not only was it crushed but it was mixed as well. I ordered two grains and received two bags. Needless to say it was crap. Uncrushed grain would not have been a problem.

I had some more recently purchased grain in stock so brew day wasn't a total loss.

So, thirty some dollars gone. Check your order.

Is the freezer SOP for you? I've never had weevils in malted grains (unmalted, yes.) And you can always incorporate a low-temperature "weevil rest" in your mash schedule.

I'm thinking he didn't like milled grain on the shelf for 7 months, aged and oxidized, rather than weevils; not to mention no knowing what he had in ea bag.

I've never had weevils in malted grains (unmalted, yes.)
I've had grain moths in them. The freezer killed them too as well as the eggs, AFAIK.

Needless to say it was crap.
Why, they were stored in the freezer? That surely slows "aging" and possible oxidation.

So, thirty some dollars gone. Check your order.
Why can't you use them? Make up a recipe, Witbier, Hefe?
As a last resort, make concentrated starter wort from it.

But yeah, always check for what you ordered.

I've had grain moths in them. The freezer killed them too as well as the eggs, AFAIK.

Why, they were stored in the freezer? That surely slows "aging" and possible oxidation.

Why can't you use them? Make up a recipe, Witbier, Hefe?
As a last resort, make concentrated starter wort from it.

But yeah, always check for what you ordered.
Just the smell said it was off. Chewing a few kernels made it crystal clear.

It was only in the freezer a couple months. After that it was at room temp for seven months or so. Not good for crushed grain. Not much of a problem for uncrushed.

When I picked it up it was in paper grocery bags. I wrap it in a plastic garbage bag before it goes in the freezer. Stays in the plastic bag, on the shelf, until I go to use it.

Think it was mostly just badly oxidized.

Back