Cheapest New 2 Keg Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh no, not at all! I was just saying that I know what you were getting at! I really appreciate the feedback from you.

it was kinda funny this afternoon as I was walking through Sam's; lo and behold, the 5cu ft-er was sitting up on a shelf...

I just sighed and kept on walkin'! to quote my wife: "it really would have been a cute little guy"

yeah, thanks! :)

the 7 cu ft didn't look TOO big IMO tho...
:D

Here's my version of your keezer build. I found a reconditioned 10 lb. CO2 tank that stays outside. I custom made the tap handles. The Moose is for my moose drool brown ale clone and the baseball is our house lager. The baseball was caught on a flyball at a Houston Astros game.

taphandles1.JPG

Click Here for the Keezer Build Pics ---->CrazyBrewing Keezer

Here's my version of your keezer build. I found a reconditioned 10 lb. CO2 tank that stays outside. I custom made the tap handles. The Moose is for my moose drool brown ale clone and the baseball is our house lager. The baseball was caught on a flyball at a Houston Astros game.

taphandles1.JPG

Click Here for the Keezer Build Pics ---->CrazyBrewing Keezer

That's awesome man. Love the story onthe tap handles as well! I need to step up to a larger exterior tank one of these days.

Kevin

Nice job on making your keezers... I made my keezer slightly differently based on some other variations I saw on this site somewhere. I went with a 48" wide Whirlpool Chest Freezer that I luckily found on CL for $125. It was basically in brand new shape. This size allows you to load 8 Ball Lock Kegs for both serving and lagering without having to use the hump or removing the inner shelf ledges. They just barely fit and you have to remove the baskets to get 8 in but they do fit.

I located the CO2 tank in a cabinet next to the keezer and use the hump to store about 2 cases of bottles in six packs. The collar I made sat both on top of the opening and down the sides so that I could hide the joint between the two materials and provide a cleaner look. I used regular 2x4 Red Cedar for the wood that sat on top of the keezer and used clear 1x8 Red Cedar with a nice grain pattern for the wood section that fit around the sides of the keezer. I splurged and bought SS angles and SS Carriage Bolts to give the hardware a finished look. I put neoprene Home Depot weatherstripping between the wood and the top of the sides to seal the gap between the wood and keezer airtight. This approach gave me enough head space to fit the kegs and CO2/dispensing hoses and still match the top of my keezer with my countertop height in the basement. Having space for filled bottles on the hump in a definate plus. I sanded the heck out of the cedar and finished with a few coats of regular clear semi gloss polyurethane for a nice natural cedar look that matches my basement walls.

I went with picnic taps for now but may add outside taps. Makes for a bit of a mess with all the hoses inside but I have not finished mounting the CO2 distribution hardware. One thing to note is that putting the CO2 tank inside the keezer will give you false readings on the CO2 remaining so I moved it all outside in a bottom cabinet with a dual regulator so I can both carb and serve at different pressures and still have a CO2 hose accessible from inside the cabinet for pressurizing kegs or doing transfers from Carboys to Kegs.

Here are some pics to see what I mean. Still a work in progress to finish mounting everything where it works out best. This setup with part of the collar coming down along the sides also makes the keezer look less top heavy.

Keezer_Build_Closed_2.JPG

Keezer_Build_Open.JPG

P1020124_-_Copy.JPG

CO2_Tank_and_Dual_Regulators_in_Cabinet.JPG

Nice job on making your keezers... I made my keezer slightly differently based on some other variations I saw on this site somewhere. I went with a 48" wide Whirlpool Chest Freezer that I luckily found on CL for $125. It was basically in brand new shape. This size allows you to load 8 Ball Lock Kegs for both serving and lagering without having to use the hump or removing the inner shelf ledges. They just barely fit and you have to remove the baskets to get 8 in but they do fit.

I located the CO2 tank in a cabinet next to the keezer and use the hump to store about 2 cases of bottles in six packs. The collar I made sat both on top of the opening and down the sides so that I could hide the joint between the two materials and provide a cleaner look. I used regular 2x4 Red Cedar for the wood that sat on top of the keezer and used clear 1x8 Red Cedar with a nice grain pattern for the wood section that fit around the sides of the keezer. I splurged and bought SS angles and SS Carriage Bolts to give the hardware a finished look. I put neoprene Home Depot weatherstripping between the wood and the top of the sides to seal the gap between the wood and keezer airtight. This approach gave me enough head space to fit the kegs and CO2/dispensing hoses and still match the top of my keezer with my countertop height in the basement. Having space for filled bottles on the hump in a definate plus. I sanded the heck out of the cedar and finished with a few coats of regular clear semi gloss polyurethane for a nice natural cedar look that matches my basement walls.

I went with picnic taps for now but may add outside taps. Makes for a bit of a mess with all the hoses inside but I have not finished mounting the CO2 distribution hardware. One thing to note is that putting the CO2 tank inside the keezer will give you false readings on the CO2 remaining so I moved it all outside in a bottom cabinet with a dual regulator so I can both carb and serve at different pressures and still have a CO2 hose accessible from inside the cabinet for pressurizing kegs or doing transfers from Carboys to Kegs.

Here are some pics to see what I mean. Still a work in progress to finish mounting everything where it works out best. This setup with part of the collar coming down along the sides also makes the keezer look less top heavy.

Keezer_Build_Closed_2.JPG

Keezer_Build_Open.JPG

P1020124_-_Copy.JPG

CO2_Tank_and_Dual_Regulators_in_Cabinet.JPG

Looks really great. I love the finish on the cedar. You will definitely want to drill it for real taps though. That's the main point of the collar in the first place, and having to open the top every time you want to draw a beer will get old in a hurry.

Keep us updated.:tank:

a little off topic but does anyone know what the cheapest cheest freezer is if you dont have a sams club membership?

Hi

Do you need to fit kegs in it? On sale or regular price?

Anything under about 7 cubic foot is likely to be "keg challenged" in one way or another.

Bob

Hi

Do you need to fit kegs in it? On sale or regular price?

Anything under about 7 cubic foot is likely to be "keg challenged" in one way or another.

Bob

You can often find a 7.1 cu ft GE at Home Despite for a reasonable price. Oftentimes you will find these listed on homebrewfinds when HD has them marked back down. (I own 2)

Back