Cheap Mini Fridge Too Small Fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
I had the same problem as many others, purchased a mini-fridge because it was too cheap to pass up, but needed to modify it to fit my carboy for a fermentation chamber. I decided against the collar technique or the major extension and went with the smallest extension possible.

Total cost was about $7 for adhesive and insulation. All I did was extend the hinges using it's original holes, "glued/caulked" the insulation to the edge of the fridge, and then glued/caulked the original magnetic sealer to the insulation. So far so good. It hold well enough and insulates and keeps temperatures stable.

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

It's the cheapest route possible, it clears my carboy by about 2 mm, but so far it's holding 50F for a maibock. If it has trouble holding temperature, I may lay a bead of caulk along the outside. It only fits one carboy, but that's all I needed. It doesn't look great, but efficiency is what I was after. It has supplied that thus far. It's pretty solid and seals up nicely.

This is EXACTLY the idea/post I've been looking for. I just bought a very similar fridge and my 6 gallon Better Bottle just barely won't fit. I was dreading building a cabinet or wood collar for it, I have 0 carpentry skill and probably would have removed an appendage if I did try to put something together. Cutting up some foam and moving a screw or two, much more my speed.

One thing I'm noticing when I have a full carboy inside, be sure that the inside bottom edge of insulation is flush with the fridge (no lip).
Otherwise the weight of the full carboy tears the insulation. It's keeping a seal still, but after this current fermentation I'll have to re-caulk that bottom piece so that it's flush. Otherwise, it's been perfect thus far, holding steady temperatures.

image-2551579123.jpg

image-3103272761.jpg

6.5 gallon carboy, I took out the freezer tray and slowly bent the condenser upward. And of course I used a jig saw to cut out the old shelves on the door.

Attachments

• image-3514916292.jpg
    image-3514916292.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 405
Back