cheap mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmike340

Reaction score
does anyone know of a mash tun thats a little cheaper and a 50$ igloo??? can i use a 5 gal cheaper one??? or maybe a regular squar cool thats cheaper???

A cheap rectangular one is fine. You don't need a circular one. Or an Igloo.

Go to Target or Walmart and buy a 52qt rectangular cooler. About 20 dollars.
http://www.target.com/p/Igloo-Family-Cooler-Red-52-Quart/-/A-11905594
Add the manifold of choice. I have this item, I didn't buy it here, but its a photo of it. I cut slits in the bottom of it between each rib and screwed it to a valve. The valve fit right through the drain hole of the cooler, no drilling required.
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/water-heater-connectors
Profit.
You may have 50 dollars if you try hard invested. I'm guessing less than that.

Two buckets and some expanding foam will get you insulation. I've not tried this, but I did insulate my lids with it.

Look for Denny Conn's cooler build. It uses a stainless braid, and components that are probably less expensive than brass fittings.

If you are in my position, finding an all stainless hose clamp locally will be the tough job. Seems silly to pay shipping for a one dollar hose clamp.

Look for Denny Conn's cooler build. It uses a stainless braid, and components that are probably less expensive than brass fittings.

If you are in my position, finding an all stainless hose clamp locally will be the tough job. Seems silly to pay shipping for a one dollar hose clamp.

Lowes has all stainless hose clamps, Home Depot doesn't. Otherwise, go to a boating supplies store. They carry all stainless..

IME just about any cooler will maintain a mash within 2-3 degrees if properly preheated...the 28 qt or 48 qt can usually be had for under 20 bucks and can be converted cheaply and will work well....see link below

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ten-minute-cooler-mash-tun-conversion-125108/

Or cheap and easy could also be a bucket and a paint strainer bag...wrap the bucket in a few old blankets...

I find old coolers on craigslist or at goodwill. they for great and are close to free. Harbor Freight has all you need for less that 10.00

does anyone know of a mash tun thats a little cheaper and a 50$ igloo??? can i use a 5 gal cheaper one??? or maybe a regular squar cool thats cheaper???

Walmart has marine coolers for like $30 in quite large sizes. Site-to-store shipping is usually free

Coleman Extreme coolers have a great drain configuration and they retain temperature very nicely. I have a 52qt one that I picked up at Kmart. A little more expensive (about $35.00) but with a SS braid and some plumping parts you could still be in the $50 to $55 range...

Lowes has all stainless hose clamps, Home Depot doesn't. Otherwise, go to a boating supplies store. They carry all stainless..

The stainless hose clamps at my Lowes are definitely not all stainless. The bands appear to be but the screw definitely is not. I use them for the plumbing in my salt water aquarium, but not immersed, and they screws are rusting. I avoided these when I built my mash tun cooler I used nylon zip ties.

The stainless hose clamps at my Lowes are definitely not all stainless. The bands appear to be but the screw definitely is not. I use them for the plumbing in my salt water aquarium, but not immersed, and they screws are rusting. I avoided these when I built my mash tun cooler I used nylon zip ties.

That's interesting. The ones I got are indeed all stainless. The package even says it. I have mashed with them a couple times and have no rust at all. I also soak them in star san and oxiclean all the time with no problems. Perhaps the products Lowes carries varry according to region/location...

One major lesson I learned is you want something with a good drain, something with a drink spout type pourer (got a five gallon for $20 at Walmart). I used a 3" nipple, a valve, and the manifold was 1/2" pvc. A couple of 90s and ts and 4' pipe.
I never used glue, just dry fit. I used a hand saw to make the slits about 40% through.
After 7 or 8 batches there have been no stuck sparges and I can vourlauf about half a pitcher and it is clear.

Home Depot carries 10 Gal rubbermaid water coolers in the summer for around $30 in Chicago. Not always in stock though.

Are you asking the right question? Do you really want a cheaper mash tun or do you want a cheaper alternative to mashing in a cooler? Read a little on BIAB (brew in a bag) and see if that will solve the $$$ question.

Or just biab for about 20 given a professional sew job on the bag. Less to clean!

I thought about sewing it myself, but the machine at work has an industrial size needle. I brought a curtain to a seamstress and she did a bang up job with a double stitch

william_shakes_beer said:
Did you buy a bag or sew it yourself? if yourself how did you get a a strong seam?

Google "flat felled seam". This is what you find on denim jeans, and is very strong. It's also not terribly difficult since it doesn't need to look good enough to wear.

In my experience, those have been priced around $60.

I live in NYC, one of the most expensive cities in the country (as is Chi-town i'm sure) and their 10 gallon cooler cost me $41 + tax just last month. I definately saw lots of rectangular coolers online in places for a lot less money but being in NYC an relying on public transit most of the time meant my shopping choices were limited so I sucked it up and spent the extra 20 for the round one. I figured that the cost savings of brewing my own would pay for it in one batch anyways.

CPFITNESS said:
I live in NYC, one of the most expensive cities in the country (as is Chi-town i'm sure) and their 10 gallon cooler cost me $41 + tax just last month. I definately saw lots of rectangular coolers online in places for a lot less money but being in NYC an relying on public transit most of the time meant my shopping choices were limited so I sucked it up and spent the extra 20 for the round one. I figured that the cost savings of brewing my own would pay for it in one batch anyways.

I checked again and the 10 gallon at HD in Chicago is $43 plus tax.

Has anyone using a Coleman Extreme had trouble with the angle of the drain with a protruding ball valve and hose barb?

Has anyone using a Coleman Extreme had trouble with the angle of the drain with a protruding ball valve and hose barb?

My brand new 52qt Coleman Extreme worked beautifully last weekend! I couldn't be happier with it! I have a standard bulk head from Austin Homebrew, a brass ball valve from Lowes with a hose barb attached. On the inside I made a tiny dip tube that extends about 3 inches in the drain valley which I attached a SS braid to..

My brand new 52qt Coleman Extreme worked beautifully last weekend! I couldn't be happier with it! I have a standard bulk head from Austin Homebrew, a brass ball valve from Lowes with a hose barb attached. On the inside I made a tiny dip tube that extends about 3 inches in the drain valley which I attached a SS braid to..

Ok. I was looking at the 52qt Extreme last weekend. I like the drain valley, but I was afraid the angle on the exterior would cause your barb to extend below ground/table level. Next thing you know you've had to many while brewing, and you've cracked your cooler lining.

Glad to hear you've had no trouble. I'm leaning hard toward the Extreme.

Ok. I was looking at the 52qt Extreme last weekend. I like the drain valley, but I was afraid the angle on the exterior would cause your barb to extend below ground/table level. Next thing you know you've had to many while brewing, and you've cracked your cooler lining.

Glad to hear you've had no trouble. I'm leaning hard toward the Extreme.

The only thing I can really say is don't over tighten the ball valve assembly onto the bulk head as it will leak, but that's probably true with most coolers I would think.. Also, to help retain a water-tight seal on the inside I used the rubber washer that came off of the cooler to seal the bulk head instead of an o-ring. I just couldn't get that o-ring to seal for me..

The only thing I can really say is don't over tighten the ball valve assembly onto the bulk head as it will leak, but that's probably true with most coolers I would think.. Also, to help retain a water-tight seal on the inside I used the rubber washer that came off of the cooler to seal the bulk head instead of an o-ring. I just couldn't get that o-ring to seal for me..

Good to know. If you thank of anything else let me know. I am curious about the makeshift diptube you fashioned.

Good to know. If you thank of anything else let me know. I am curious about the makeshift diptube you fashioned.

Enclosed are the photos of my diptube, SS braid, and ball valve;
IMG00566-20120306-1359.jpg

IMG00564-20120306-1341.jpg

IMG00565-20120306-1347.jpg

I'm thinking about just using a brass compression fitting to hold the braid. Omitting the hose clamp completely.

Latest posts

Back