Cheap GFCI breaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any reason that the below linked breaker can not be used for an electric keggle using a 4500W 240V element?

C32 AC 240V 32A 2 Poles

That breaker has no provision for a neutral wire, so cannot be used in a control panel that requires any 120V power.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks, I figured out these are the european version of GFCI called earth leakage instead. There is a neutral hookup the bottom right hand side. But I don't think I can use them. Will keep dreaming of not spending a fortune to convert to electric, it costs way too much to upgrade my panel and install the stuff I need to convert.

There's nothing wrong with either going all 240 v and not needing a neutral. Or use that gfci for your 240v loads and bring in another 120v circuit and use a cheap 120 gfci outlet.

keep in mind that 'earth leakage' and 'residual current' european-style breakers are not the same as a gfci, as defined by ul. these european breakers are more akin to gfpe (ground fault protection equipment) breakers. gfpe breakers are design for equipment protection, not personnel protection. both styles offer ground fault protection but they use different current pickup levels. gfci breaker operates at currents 4-6 millamp or greater while gfpe breakers operate at 30 milliamp. the current levels may seem small but consider that at 15 ma, muscles 'freeze' in 50% of the population. in other words, you can't let go of something that is energized, even if you wanted to. approaching 30 ma can lead to breathing difficulty and fibrillation in children.

the gfci is there to protect people, not equipment. this is one area where you don't want to go cheap.

keep in mind that 'earth leakage' and 'residual current' european-style breakers are not the same as a gfci, as defined by ul. these european breakers are more akin to gfpe (ground fault protection equipment) breakers. gfpe breakers are design for equipment protection, not personnel protection. both styles offer ground fault protection but they use different current pickup levels. gfci breaker operates at currents 4-6 millamp or greater while gfpe breakers operate at 30 milliamp. the current levels may seem small but consider that at 15 ma, muscles 'freeze' in 50% of the population. in other words, you can't let go of something that is energized, even if you wanted to. approaching 30 ma can lead to breathing difficulty and fibrillation in children.

the gfci is there to protect people, not equipment. this is one area where you don't want to go cheap.
Yeah, I missed the 30 mA trigger level, or I would have mentioned that in my reply. I was a little bleary eyed from lack of sleep when I misread the 0.03 A trip level as 3 mA, and thought "well that part looks ok." Not a good thing to misread.

Thanks, I figured out these are the european version of GFCI called earth leakage instead. There is a neutral hookup the bottom right hand side. But I don't think I can use them. Will keep dreaming of not spending a fortune to convert to electric, it costs way too much to upgrade my panel and install the stuff I need to convert.

Even if there is a neutral connection, the diagram on the device does not show the neutral wire going thru the differential current pick-up coil, so any current in the neutral wire would trip the breaker.

But most important is what @itsnotrequired pointed out, this is not a device designed to protect humans.

The cheapest 50a 2 pole GFCI breaker I could find was $99.99 at the big box stores. I found it funny that I could get the exact same breaker in spa panel for $62.50. I got lucky and found a open box return spa panel for $49.00. I just pulled the breaker out of the spa panel and put it in my main panel.

I bought my 50A eaton spa panel for $60 at the home depot.... Not sure if you all have one of those but lowes also had one for close to the same price I believe.. for some reason these often seem to be more $$ online than at the store.

heres one for $35 but it doesnt show the breaker being included as it would originally be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cutler-hamm...222533?hash=item4404052685:g:REcAAOSwDiBZIbc6

heres a 50a panel new for $50 shipped.. the trick is to search "spa panel" on ebay and not 50a spa panel... Theres always a number of them new for between $50 and $60 shipped..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midwest-UG4...799363?hash=item1a2c34ad03:g:va8AAOSwmgJY2E-3

Back