Cheap compact wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fafrd said:
Isn't 'head' the difference in height between incoming liquid and outgoing liquid? if you raise the pump all the way to the level of the liquid in the keggle, I don't think the 'head' has changed (and I suspect the flow rate will not change either).

Half a keggle is about 12", so if my understanding is correct, your (very helpful) test only demonstrated the flow rate at about 12" of head (not 40").

I checked quickly for a definition and could not find one, so I could be wrong on this understanding of 'head', but I am pretty sure that the correct test for 40" of head would be to pump from one keggle on the floor to a second keggle on a table with 40" of height between the liquid levels of the two keggles (and the position of the pump should not really matter as long as it is somewhere between the lower keggle valve and the liquid level of the upper keggle).

-fafrd

Oooohhhh, I always thought it was from the pump location.

Oooohhhh, I always thought it was from the pump location.

I think the pressure of the liquid pressing down onto the pump input helps make it easier for the pump to pump the liquid back up. Worst-case is where the pump needs to do all the work. Flow rate may not get any worse with a true 40" of head - the pump spec claims:

600 liters per hour (10 liters or about 2.6 gal per minute)
3.8 meters of head (or about 150" or 12.5')

So your results more or less confirm the flow rate but that same flow should be maintained even if you have the pump pumping liquid straight up over more than 12 feet...

-fafrd

So your results more or less confirm the flow rate but that same flow should be maintained even if you have the pump pumping liquid straight up over more than 12 feet...

-fafrd

Ahem, "head", in this context refers to the distance between the two liquid levels. Even though I haver never used one, it appears these little pumps could work quite well in a homebrew application for simple transfers. One must also realize that in addition to head, flow rate is also determined by "line resistance", so pumping through coils or recirculating through a grain bed could reduce flow rate substantially, however how much flow rate does one really need? Even at 1 GPM, it will complete the task in a reasonable time.

This pump would likely do very little pumping straight up over more than 12 feet, maybe nothing at all FWIW.

Ahem, "head", in this context refers to the distance between the two liquid levels. Even though I haver never used one, it appears these little pumps could work quite well in a homebrew application for simple transfers. One must also realize that in addition to head, flow rate is also determined by "line resistance", so pumping through coils or recirculating through a grain bed could reduce flow rate substantially, however how much flow rate does one really need? Even at 1 GPM, it will complete the task in a reasonable time.

This pump would likely do very little pumping straight up over more than 12 feet, maybe nothing at all FWIW.

Sounds like you took my comment to be a criticism of the pump, Wilserbrewer. No at all - I just meant that it is rated to maintain that 2.6 gpm flow rate all the way to a straight 12' of vertical head (which is more vertical pumping distance than any home brewer should ever need, unless they want to pump from an MLT in the basement to a BK in the kitchen on the first-floor :)

The pumping performance of these low-cost black Chinese pumps seems close to the specification - my greater concern is what it means to have an uncoated magnet in contact with the liquor being pumped - does anyone know what these magnets are made of???

-fafrd

Sounds like you took my comment to be a criticism of the pump, Wilserbrewer. No at all - I just meant that it is rated to maintain that 2.6 gpm flow rate all the way to a straight 12' of vertical head (which is more vertical pumping distance than any home brewer should ever need, unless they want to pump from an MLT in the basement to a BK in the kitchen on the first-floor :)
-fafrd
I think if you take the time to read, carefully, you will see that Wilser thinks these will likely work just fine for homebrew, from a performance perspective.

He was merely clarifying all of the 'head' inaccuracies, which he correctly defined as just the difference in pressures at the inlet and outlet. All line restrictions, on either side, count towards that.

Particular to your comments, he was clarifying that the pump has a max flow and a max head, with a performance curve for their relationship- with max flow likely at ~0 head, and max head likely having ~0 flow.

It is highly doubtful these pumps will push anything more than a dribble, let alone maintain their max flow of 2.6gpm, at 12'.

He was merely clarifying all of the 'head' inaccuracies, which he correctly defined as just the difference in pressures at the inlet and outlet. All line restrictions, on either side, count towards that.

Particular to your comments, he was clarifying that the pump has a max flow and a max head, with a performance curve for their relationship- with max flow likely at ~0 head, and max head likely having ~0 flow.

It is highly doubtful these pumps will push anything more than a dribble, let alone maintain their max flow of 2.6gpm, at 12'.

Thanks cwi, I had not understood that correctly - so 2.6 gpm at 0 feet of head, 0 gpm at 12 feet of head, and if we want to make a wag of the test snaps10 made, about 2gpm at a foot of head or so. Three point on a curve - thanks for clarifying.

-fafrd

Perfect! Thanks for putting my thoughts to words...I recall head for these pumps at 2m...not sure how 12' came into the discussion? The one video if I recall demonstrates decent flow at 6' head, which seems adequate for the intended purpose here. Cheers

So like the test shows at one foot of head the pump is likely good for wag 2.3 gpm less .3 gpm losses due to valves tubing etc,. no free lunch.

For recirculating or moving to an adjacent vessel on a single tier stand these things look pretty good...a ten gallon batch in 5 minutes seems acceptable when it won't be ready for consumption for 2 - 6 weeks anyways.

Perfect! Thanks for putting my thoughts to words...I recall head for these pumps at 2m...not sure how 12' came into the discussion? The one video if I recall demonstrates decent flow at 6' head, which seems adequate for the intended purpose here. Cheers

Her is the link to the ebay site listing specifications for this pump: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121060137711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here is an excerpt of the critical specs:

• Capacity: 600L/Hr (which equals 158.5 gallons per hour or 2.6 gpm)
  • Pump Head: 3.8M (which equals 12.5 feet)

-fafrd

I got my little Chinese pump today. It took 2weeks exactly from the time I bout it on eBay. I was really surprised at how small it is. What sort of power supply are you guys using?

image-537374042.jpg

two_hearted said:
I got my little Chinese pump today. It took 2weeks exactly from the time I bout it on eBay. I was really surprised at how small it is. What sort of power supply are you guys using?

I purchased 2 amp, multi voltage tattoo gun power supply. I haven't done much testing without though.

I bought one of these a while back and have been pleased with it....don't count on much customer service from the seller he can't seem to provide updates on shipping or respond to emails....but once you have the pump it does everything that is needed.

http://greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html

funny you mention it.. cause i have being trying to get a refund and arguing with this guy for almost 2 months now... pump isnt advertised as BSP so none of my NPT fitting fit properly and i have leaks (even with Teflon) and i also purchased my high temp hose through him... another BAD idea... i had 2 5foot sections blow on the first brew.. from boil kettle to his pump and pump to plate chiller... he then arguees that my brew system caused to much pressure.. the only pressure there is added by HIS pump.. ball valve half open on both boil kettle and out put of the pump... so i already had it resctircted..

he then tried blamming it on the plate chiller "cause they haven't tested the hose withe a plate chiller yet" but i did some research and my thermenator plate chiller has 100+ sq inches more surface area than a 50' 1/2" wort chiller.. there fore the plate chiller couldn;t have added more restriction to cause the hose to burst.. plus i was losing wort at the pump cause the fittings dont work...

just all around terrible customer service and was basically calling me retarded.. took a month to get first response about the stuff.. then over the next month did nothing to help but blame it first on my "brew stand" (igloo coolers on the counter to floor?!!?) then blamed it on the cam lock fittings i use.. then accused me of working for chugger pumps and spying... (i kid you not)...

i know where not really supposed to *BASH* but i have the emails to back this up.. i bout 25' of hose and 2 pumps... i invested $220+ into his items and took over a month to get a first response then absolute hell from there.. to the last message fault out telling me its my equipment..my fault for the pump putting out "so much pressure" and their not going to do a damn thing to make it right..which all i wanted to do is return is jankey product..

GO WITH A MARCH OR CHUGGER!!!

can you use that 12v led power supply also or would somthing else be better?

So can someone update the first post with all of the pumps mentioned and tested? I believe that I have read every post and it comes down to 2 pumps...

Both are 12v, and both have 1/2" BSP Fittings which can easily screw into 1/2" NPT with some teflon tape?

1) Little tan pump
Cost -
Pro
- Sanitary
Con
- More expensive than black pump
Link to buy?

2) Little black pump
Cost -
Pro
-Cheaper
Con
- Magnet exposed (not sanitary)
Link to buy?

So can someone update the first post with all of the pumps mentioned and tested? I believe that I have read every post and it comes down to 2 pumps...

Both are 12v, and both have 1/2" BSP Fittings which can easily screw into 1/2" NPT with some teflon tape?

1) Little tan pump
Cost -
Pro
- Sanitary
Con
Link to buy?

2) Little black pump
Cost -
Pro
-Cheaper
Con
Link to buy?

Bsp and npt do not fit all the time.. they claim 3 full threads with teflon ... I kno from my rant eariler.. i cant no more than one and the starter half.. and it leaks.. i would avoid purchasing from greatbreweh.com for shotty products a d no customer service

So are you guys liking the tan or black ones.... I need a pump. Getting tired of lifting a 85 lb keggle tun.

To dovetail on the above: I ordered a black one, should I avoid using it to move my worth through my chiller? Is the exposed magnet something I should be concerned with?

wheineman said:

1) Little tan pump
Cost -
Pro
- Sanitary
Con
Link to buy?

2) Little black pump
Cost -$75 on eBay with free shipping, not including power supply, 12 volt 2 amp laptop cord works great
Pro
-Cheaper, it DOES have 1/2 inch NPT fittings, not BSP, this is the same exact pump as greatbreweh.com but cheaper, with free shipping and only takes a free Amy's to receive it
Con
Link to buy? Www.ebay.com, ussolarpumps is the seller, they have several models, the SS 11.5 LPM with NPT fittings is the one I bought

Drhops - In an effort to keep things straight, there seem to be two different black pumps. There is the $75ish pump from US Solar and there is the $19ish dollar pump from China. The Chinese pump has an exposed magnet which may or may not be a large cause for concern. The US Solar pump seems fine from what I have read. So the pump list from what I can tell is :

-Tan Chinese pump with sealed magnet $25ish

-Black US Solar Pump with NTP fittings $75ish

-Black Chinese Ebay pump with exposed magnet $19ish

wheineman said:

1) Little tan pump
Cost -
Pro
- Sanitary
Con
Link to buy?

2) Little black pump
Cost -$75 on eBay with free shipping, not including power supply, 12 volt 2 amp laptop cord works great
Pro
-Cheaper, it DOES have 1/2 inch NPT fittings, not BSP, this is the same exact pump as greatbreweh.com but cheaper, with free shipping and only takes a free Amy's to receive it
Con
Link to buy? Www.ebay.com, ussolarpumps is the seller, they have several models, the SS 11.5 LPM with NPT fittings is the one I bought

DrHops, Something appears to be messed up with the way you attempted to quote - but in any case, I believe this thread was referring to the ultra-low cost ($18.61) pumps on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121060137711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Those pumps are BSP and have an uncoated magnet.

The greatbreweh.com pumps have a food-grade coating on the magnet and stainless NPT fittings, so if the magnet is exposed on the little black pumps you are referring to, then those would not be 'the same exact pump' as the greatbreweh.com pumps...

-fafrd

Does the exposed magnet make this pump useless to transfer even hot water from my HLT to my MLT? I assume I should not use it for wort/recirculating the mash, right?

Can anyone confirm if the white and tan eBay pumps have a coated magnet?

Not a confirmation, but it might be. I'll take mine apart tonight or tomorrow and take a look.

As far as I can tell from this picture the magnet (top left) in the little brown pump is encased in plastic. This one was from solarprojects.co.uk but the beige ones on ebay seem to be the same design.

solar-pump-innards.jpg

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here. There are several cheap pump options at www.lightobject.com and some are high heat and FDA approved. I just thought since we have a list started it would be nice to have all the options. By the way I'm not associated with them in any way, I just stumbled upon the site when looking for a cheap pump of my own.

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here. There are several cheap pump options at www.lightobject.com and some are high heat and FDA approved. I just thought since we have a list started it would be nice to have all the options. By the way I'm not associated with them in any way, I just stumbled upon the site when looking for a cheap pump of my own.

I'm no pump expert, but I only see three that claim to be FDA food safe, and two seem to be quite low on flow rate. The 6.8L/min pump is similar to some found here in this thread, but also more expensive. We need a comparison chart!

tre9er said:
I'm no pump expert, but I only see three that claim to be FDA food safe, and two seem to be quite low on flow rate. The 6.8L/min pump is similar to some found here in this thread, but also more expensive. We need a comparison chart!

This is true about the FDA thing, but I think only one of the puns in our current list is FDA approved. So this gives another FDA approved option. +1 on the chart.

One last thing, I notice the 6.8L lightobject pump doesn't seem to have threads, and has a 0.38" OD output, 0.55" input. So you'd have to use hose and clamps to secure.

tre9er said:
One last thing, I notice the 6.8L lightobject pump doesn't seem to have threads, and has a 0.38" OD output, 0.55" input. So you'd have to use hose and clamps to secure.

Correct I noticed that as well.

Rys06Tbss said:
So is this black 20 dollar pump decent?

Depends on what you're trying to do.
If its transferring, pushing a plate chiller, recirculating, the $20 pumps seem to be enough. If its for whirlpooling, it seems to lack the volume.

$20 pumps, beige - coated magnet ; black - exposed magnet

Is the exposed magnet in the black pump something to be concerned with. Should it be used for one purpose over than another (such as HLT instead of recirc-ing mash) because of the exposed magnet?

Or if I run star san/pbw thoroughly each use before and after will I be ok?

It's not exposed, exactly, but a certain amount of liquid will come in contact with it. I don't think either the black or beige pumps are 100% sanitary but I'm willing to take the risk pre-boil.

Back