Recirculating Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
Each of them state usage in beverages, water purification, and water treatment systems so I would think that they are. So maybe? I've sent a contact email to Amarine to see if I could get some more information on that one. I doubt I'd get much help in food safe help from the eBay sold one.

I know homebrewers here use those little tan (or black) solar heating pumps for various purposes. They're 24V, IIRC, and fairly cheap.

I’ve got a cheap eBay solar pump, had it almost three years - still works a treat. I used to recirculate my mash with it. I say ‘used to’ as I don’t care for over complicating things these days, so it’s not been used since before Xmas. I might dig it out for my next brew, just because.

I've been using the tan bayite 12V and 24V DC pumps for several years now. I had no issues with them as long as you don't accidentally get a bunch of grain in it. I've had issues with the top flow TD5 pumps seizing up over time. Bought 1 and had it replaced twice. I will stick with the cheap bayites for now.

Also the magnet on the bayite pump is covered in plastic not a coating that breaks down over time. The first black 12V DC solar pump I bought had a food safe coating on the magnet. Less than 10 brews of use and it was starting to flake and peel off the magnet.

I've got the Tan 12v Bayite pump as well. I use it directly plumbed into the outlet of my HLT. Its primary use is to recirculate the HLT during heat up and mashing to keep temps even and avoid stratification, and then i switch it to the inlet of my Herms coil when i move to fly sparging to pump the 170 degree water into the Herms coil and then into the Mash Tun. Works great and hasnt let me down yet!

For my wort pump, i went with the Mark II 25watt pump and it works just fine. Recirculation, whirlpool, and then pumping into my fermenter all work great

There is zero need to recirculate mash

If you WANT to thats fine but dont think for a second its needed...its not needed one single bit.

More stuff to clean worry about and deal with in general

There is zero need to recirculate mash

If you WANT to thats fine but dont think for a second its needed...its not needed one single bit.

More stuff to clean worry about and deal with in general

If you have a Herms system, or BIAB, there is PLENTY of positives from recirculating your mash vs letting it sit. Even temperature distribution vs hot spots/cold spots, clearer wort once it gets transferred to the boil kettle since you're filtering through the entire mash, better efficiency, etc etc etc. If you're brewing with a cooler or dedicated mash tun with no way to maintain temp other than insulation, then yes recirculating is more harm than good as you'll most likely lose a few degrees

If you have a Herms system, or BIAB, there is PLENTY of positives from recirculating your mash vs letting it sit. Even temperature distribution vs hot spots/cold spots, clearer wort once it gets transferred to the boil kettle since you're filtering through the entire mash, better efficiency, etc etc etc. If you're brewing with a cooler or dedicated mash tun with no way to maintain temp other than insulation, then yes recirculating is more harm than good as you'll most likely lose a few degrees
This is all wrong.

Can you elaborate? I don't see a single inaccuracy in his statement. He was stating the benefits of recirculating, not the need to recirculate.
Keep in mind jonny was also the one that started the starsan is useless because he doesn't use it and hasn't had a infection...... His whole thing is doing as little as possible. Cheers

Keep in mind jonny was also the one that started the starsan is useless because he doesn't use it and hasn't had a infection...... His whole thing is doing as little as possible. Cheers
I have a follower...thanks for getting me so excited
But if your going to follow me at least get it right...I've never mentioned anything about Starsan being useless.....ever

I also put effort into things that work and make a difference....everything else is a waste of time and energy....but have at it if it makes you happy

Recirculating does nothing...this is fact. I've done it both ways and there is zero difference....zero

I have a follower...thanks for getting me so excited
But if your going to follow me at least get it right...I've never mentioned anything about Starsan being useless.....ever

I also put effort into things that work and make a difference....everything else is a waste of time and energy....but have at it if it makes you happy

Recirculating does nothing...this is fact. I've done it both ways and there is zero difference....zero
Thanks for the confirmation. Cheers

Can you elaborate? I don't see a single inaccuracy in his statement. He was stating the benefits of recirculating, not the need to recirculate.
He mentions clearer wort to the brew kettle which makes no difference. Sucking up all the trub has no effect on clear finished product...time yes...trub no

Efficiency makes no difference whatsoever if you recirculate or not

He mentions a cooler and temp dropping which is off topic a bit but temps dropping a few degrees have no effect on efficiency or dryness or sweetness, I've brewed the exact same beer at all different temps and the "mouthfeel and body" is exactly the same

This is all from personal experience. I've brewed every which way and it all turns out the same. Conversion is going to happen the way its going to happen and all the pumps and shiny things ain't going to make a bit of difference

He mentions clearer wort to the brew kettle which makes no difference. Sucking up all the trub has no effect on clear finished product...time yes...trub no

Efficiency makes no difference whatsoever if you recirculate or not

He mentions a cooler and temp dropping which is off topic a bit but temps dropping a few degrees have no effect on efficiency or dryness or sweetness, I've brewed the exact same beer at all different temps and the "mouthfeel and body" is exactly the same

This is all from personal experience. I've brewed every which way and it all turns out the same. Conversion is going to happen the way its going to happen and all the pumps and shiny things ain't going to make a bit of difference

Lol ok

@JONNYROTTEN you made your point now move on. The OP isn't asking for a debate on the pros/cons of recirculating their mash. The OP is looking for a good reliable and affordable pump for this application.

Back