Cheap compact wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah there's definitely no room for a coating. That silicone lubricant may be better... but I have never used the stuff so idk how well it would work.

It's a coated magnet.

You say coated but how do you know? Have you taken one apart yourself? Or just speaking based off what others have said?

I haven't taken one apart myself yet so I don't know for sure. But just going off their video the inside appears to have an exposed magnet just like the eBay ones. They appear to be the same pump, so if they figured out a way to put some coating on the magnet then we can too.

Can anyone with first hand experience confirm or deny if this is true? Can someone post up pics?

I know there are pictures in the thread here somewhere of the impeller and magnet of the two pumps taken apart. One did have a coated magnet I do believe. I'm way too lazy to search/dig for it though.

181987d1393300345-cheap-compact-wort-pump-1393300343541.jpg

Looks exactly the same as the $20 eBay pumps I just bought.

if it aint broke dont fix it. i have a little black one and it works as it should. use it yesterday in fact, even with some malt inside the intake port. no silicone coating on it.

btw, i always take it apart and clean it after every brew.

Haha I wish!

I got two of these, I am not so keen on the plastic fittings but I don't plan on hanging it off the kettle so I will see how this works out before spending more than triple the price on a topsflow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230941130611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have two of these also. I hang mine off the kettle. I'll feel like a dope if I ever bump into it and snap it off...

FWIW these black ones seem to pump faster and get stuck less often than the little tan ones.

I have two of these also. I hang mine off the kettle. I'll feel like a dope if I ever bump into it and snap it off...

FWIW these black ones seem to pump faster and get stuck less often than the little tan ones.

Have both and can confirm the black ones are more robust. The tan ones rely on a brass bushing as a "bearing" it is easy for that bushing to get gunked up and stall.

That won't work either as it will just get washed away the first time you use it with hot water/wort.

You sure? I figured it was like a more dense oil type lubricant. Non polar and polar won't mix. The silicone should repel the water/wort.

But this is just my theory. Thinking out loud here.

It'll wash off, as mentioned.
The only thing that MIGHT stay on there, is that water repellin' stuff that Rustoleum is advertising these days, and I doubt you would want that in your beer.

Have both and can confirm the black ones are more robust. The tan ones rely on a brass bushing as a "bearing" it is easy for that bushing to get gunked up and stall.

What do the black ones use for the bearing? I would say (just from the aparent size) that the black ones don't stick as much because they have a more powerful motor.

What do the black ones use for the bearing? I would say (just from the aparent size) that the black ones don't stick as much because they have a more powerful motor.

I found
this page
about this pump. It also answers my earlier question about 2 phase vs 3 phase.

I'm looking at this motor because the performance is as good as a regular (i.e. Chugger or March) pump but at less than 1/2 the price. The one thing I do not have definitive answer on yet is if the pump is food safe.

I wonder if the magnet is coated in the "high-precision carbon fiber sleeve" they mention. Might be worth an email to the company..

Last edited by a moderator:
Much too small IMO.

Has anyone got the topsflo pump and checked to see if the magnet was actually coated?

I have been emailing back an ebay seller of the larger topsflo knock-off trying to get them to give me the manufacturer's email. So far all I have gotten from them is an offer of 5$ back and that the pump is made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. They don't seem to get my point about the magnet.

Much too small IMO.

Has anyone got the topsflo pump and checked to see if the magnet was actually coated?

I have been emailing back an ebay seller of the larger topsflo knock-off trying to get them to give me the manufacturer's email. So far all I have gotten from them is an offer of 5$ back and that the pump is made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. They don't seem to get my point about the magnet.

So are these pumps actually made of ABS? I thought ABS had a working temp limit of <90°C? Could this be a reason for peoples pumps binding up?

So are these pumps actually made of ABS? I thought ABS had a working temp limit of <90°C? Could this be a reason for peoples pumps binding up?

I googled the serial number and found other sites including sears that claimed it is made from abs and was 100% food grade.

Melting temp is 105C and 221F. I think peoples pumps bind up because of the metal disk that are in the tan ones. Mine gets easily jammed. The black one however has a ceramic shaft and blade which so far seems much better..

I finally got a response on the magnet. The manufacturer says the magnet is a carbon-steel magnet and is safe for food contact. Whether this is true or not idk. I tried a quick search and didn't pull up anything out of the ordinary.

how are people mounting these to toolboxes (like the march box mounts)? I took mine apart today to do this and figured that there wouldn't be a watertight seal if I did this.

I finally got a response on the magnet. The manufacturer says the magnet is a carbon-steel magnet and is safe for food contact. Whether this is true or not idk. I tried a quick search and didn't pull up anything out of the ordinary.

Carbon steel usually rusts very easily. Sounds like a terrible idea to use in something for water transfer. I don't see any real problems with food contact, however. Rusting and seizing sounds like a potential problem but can be fixed with a little scotch brite and elbow grease. That might be something to keep an eye on.

Here it is mounted.

It works but I also fiddled with my coolers and now they leak. Damn!

20140602_124430.jpg

20140602_204455.jpg

Aren't cell phone chargers 12v converters? I used one to power a computer fan in my diy stir plate. I would think that u could just wore an old charger to this pump.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

phone chargers are but I could not find a 2A pack for the life of me. For 4-5 bucks, I felt better just ordering the ebay power adapter. small pennies to fuel China's economy :)

Aren't cell phone chargers 12v converters? I used one to power a computer fan in my diy stir plate. I would think that u could just wore an old charger to this pump.... ;)

If it's a car charger for your phone, yes, it is a 12v converter. But this is converting DC12v to an output more like DC5v. So you're only getting an output of 5v, which is what I use for my diy stir plate as well. This might be enough to get a 12v motor to run, but not to pump liquid with any sort of pressure (though I have not tried).
There may be other higher voltage phone chargers, but I haven't seen them. There are plenty of converters that output 12v from AC100-240v out there, so you may already have one that you're not using. FYI, it usually says the output on the DC converters if the sticker hasn't been removed.

Just came across this thread, read quite a bit, but not all of it. Ended up ordering a few pumps a couple hours ago. Quick question, is everyone using 1/2" tubing? I assume most are due to the 1/2" connections. I'm wondering if you would actually get more flow using a smaller diameter on the outlet of the pump (increasing the pressure?).... Just curious, thanks

Just came across this thread, read quite a bit, but not all of it. Ended up ordering a few pumps a couple hours ago. Quick question, is everyone using 1/2" tubing? I assume most are due to the 1/2" connections. I'm wondering if you would actually get more flow using a smaller diameter on the outlet of the pump (increasing the pressure?).... Just curious, thanks

While it would increase pressure your flow would be less as the restriction in the line would decrease the volume of liquid at any given point in the line. If you use the size line that the pump has connections for you would get the maximum flow rate as a larger volume would occupy the space at any given point in the line.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I just bought this.

Huhushop(TM) Solar DC 12V 24V Hot Water Circulation Pump Brushless Motor Water Pump 3M 5M Low Noise csf (DC 12V) by Huhushop(TM) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWORE5A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure if I went with the right one but, what type of power source should I get? It's says 12V DC AND MAXIMUM RATED CURRENT: 500MA.

Is this gonna work? Should I just get a power source that matches up with these specs?

For example:

12V 500mA Power Supply by Security Camera http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IS47D8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this was answered earlier. I read the first 12-15 pages or so and then jumped to the end here. Has anyone had problems with wort clogging the pump? I'm looking at getting the beige one on amazon listed above to recirculate wort but im wondering if trub in the wort may cause it to clog and seize? My manifold does a decent job of keeping it out but not 100%.

Also, think this pump would be up to pushing wort through 25ft of 1/2" coiled tubing? Im looking to build a HERMS setup on the cheap and I'm hoping this little guy is up to the task.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404195642.198117.jpgworks like a charm!! Thanks everyone!!

I cheaped out, & can't afford quick connects right now so I just used a short piece to connect the pump. Also i wouldn't boil with it on the kettle like that. I mainly plan on using it to transfer wort and water between my HLT, MashTon & Kettle& probably kettle to fermenter.

Back