Chasing a flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Anyone else chase a certain flavor? I've been chasing a pale ale I once had at a brew pub for a little while. any one else?

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes. The very first beer that I ever had that made me think "huh, beer can have a really intriguing taste". It was called Prickly Pear Pale Ale from some brewery in the Pacific NW. I have never been able to pin it down, but that is half the fun.

Yep - a couple beers - both ambers. Since you are from Iowa - you may have had them even.

One beer that got me into craft beer that I loved drinking fresh, on tap, way back in the day. Dubuque Star Big Muddy Red..... It was an unfiltered, hoppy, rich amber ale. It was back in the mid 90's. I am sure it was probably not as great as I remember it - but I loved that beer.
The other one that is one of the best beers I ever had was Ambergeddon (Ale Asylum), on tap in LaCrosse - I have had it many times since - but, for whatever reason, it has never been as good as that day. Again, big, rich, hoppy amber ale.
I have been brewing, and rebrewing amber ales trying to replicate those beers....been getting closer and closer, and have a pretty mean amber ale now - but still searching for perfection. Kegging my latest attempt in a few days:)

I feel like the worst part is finding out after drinking that beer for a 2ND time, that it wasn't that great...

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

I just did this last month. Had a beer from a local brewery in Dallas, Local Buzz by Four Corner's Brewery. Had no idea what the beer was but gave it a try at a restaurant. Very good with a little spice to it. Googled it when I got home and found out the spice came from rye and they also dried it out with local honey. I was planning to pick up some at the store. I found out they only keg their beer so I immedietely checked their website for their parameters and then made up my own recipe. It is carbonating now so we will see if I'm on the right track to duplicate it.

Just put 5 gallons of a Citra heavy IPA in the fermentor. After having some PsuedoSue this weekend, that pugent citra may be the new thing to chase for me. The zombie dust clone is on my to do list asap

Back