Charred Pieces of Oak in Barrel; Will They Settle Out of My Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franktalk

Reaction score
I resurrected a whiskey barrel that I'd had for a couple years. It looked clean--no mold. I had some grains to get rid of, so I made a barleywine and figured I'd put it in the barrel and ad to its character by barrel aging it. I soaked the keg with almost boiling water to rehydrate and swell it. I then added a handle of bourbon whiskey and sloshed it around for a week or so. When I emptied the whiskey, pieces of charred oak came out. Wanting to save the fresh whiskey taste/ aroma, I didn't rinse the barrel before racking the barley wine into it.

So, my questions are:

Is the charred oak thing common/ normal?
Will it simply settle out of my barleywine?
Might it negatively effect the beer taste wise?

Thanks in advance, Fellow Brewers.

You'll be fine - you won't see it in the finished product so long as you get the beer out of the barrel properly.

All whiskey barrels are charred, nothing to worry about. It will affect the taste of the ale... in a terrific way!

You'll be fine - you won't see it in the finished product so long as you get the beer out of the barrel properly.

All whiskey barrels are charred, nothing to worry about. It will affect the taste of the ale... in a terrific way!

Thanks, brownni5! I figured it would be okay, but I don't have any firsthand experience. I knew there'd be someone on this forum who had lots of barrel aging wisdom to share.

Back