Champagne taste in my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackntan

Reaction score
O.K.... Here's the story,

I brewed my first batch on 2/14.... below is my receipe.

"Angry Bee's Bitchin Honey Brew"
5 gallon batch:
1 lbs of Breiss Amber Dry Malt Grains
1/2 lbs. Breiss Crystal Grains
1 lbs. Breiss Dry Malt Extract
4 lbs. Muntons Nut Brown Ale Extract
2 lbs. Corn Sugar
2 lbs. Pure Honey

I didn't do all the correct readings to get the true alcohol %, but I would assume it's at about 8%. It has a strong, but good alcohol flovor.

I bottled on 3/01, let it condition for 4 weeks (3/29)before I cracked the first one. I let the SWMBO have a taste and she say's it has a bit of a "Champagne" taste, so I figured it needed to condition for a bit longer. At a bout 6 weeks I start drinking it regularly, I like the taste and got cooter brown on a 6 of it one friday night with guys.

So my brother-in-law comes home on leave from Iraq, I give him a taste of my brew on 4/12 and I'll be damned if he didn't say the same thing that SWMBO said... It has a "Champagne" taste.

I don't taste it, but from the recipe, what would give it this flavor? And will it go away? I have about 24 bottles left.

that's kind of a lot of simple sugar; it could just be the dryness they're responding to. (alternatively, could be the 'cidery' taste that often gets credited to too much simple sugars)

yeah, 4lbs of plain sugar will both dry out the beer, and will need more time to age out/mellow.

yeah, 4lbs of plain sugar will both dry out the beer, and will need more time to age out/mellow.

That's my thought. The recipe used 5 pounds extract, and 4 pounds of sugar. It should be thin and dry tasting. The "champagne" taste might just be the thin body with the bubbles and little malt flavor.

Back