Champagne Floor corker issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Italian floor or champagne corker cutting corks? I just fixed mine and it was a giant pain in the butt I will say for sure. It took some figuring out and a new set of jaws but I got it to stop creasing and cutting corks between a fixed jaw piece and a moveable jaw piece. The corker was gapping on the back side of the iris towards the handle hinge point. This was causing an extreme crease/cut on my champagne corks that I use in 3L and larger bottles. I first tried sanding some of the mounting edges of the jaws to force them to set differently but that just screwed up one of the fixed jaws. So I spend $20 and got another set. I did end up having to slightly modify a jaw piece but removing material from a different surface was better served and didn't affect the jaw piece strength. I also had to shim the two fixed jaw pieces that are bolted. Ultimately I had to remove the Y shaped piece that the handle forces forward. The Y was a little wider than it should have been from the get go, but it never affected the smaller belgian corks. If I used larger champagne corks for my 3L and larger bottles it's crease them bigtime causing a loss of carbonation. This became very apparent to me when I brought one to a beer fest I worked and popped a 3L bottle for everyone. It was supposed to be a very high carbed beer but to my surprise it was only like 2ish volumes.

If anyone else has this issue let me know I can take some pictures to explain what I mean if what I typed is confusing. Also if anyone has just the Italian floor corker I think the only difference between the champagne and normal wine model is the iris underneath the jaws. The jaws were exactly the same because there was no difference when I ordered "floor corker" jaws for my champagne corker. Well blue sheet metal body iris where the cork exits the compression jaws, and the champagne corker has a small little arm that keeps the cork from falling through because of the increased iris size.

Latest posts

Back