Champagne Bottles for short term transport

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchawk

Reaction score
I have some finished beer already force-carbed in my keezer... I want to share some with my buddy tonight and we don't have any growlers handy.

I do have several cleaned champagne bottles. Any harm in filling them from the tap and then putting a bottle cap on?

He'll drink the beer over the next couple of days so no worries about long term storage...

Thoughts?

Nope, just sanitize and cap on foam. If you have a bottling wand or some hose that fits you might be able to shove it up your tap so the beer pours into the bottom of the bottle instead of the pour down the side. (If you are lucky the bottling wand will fit perfectly in a picnic tap) Some people will turn their co2 down and purge most of the air in the keg so it pours slower too, to prevent it foaming very much.

I've been doing something similar to make soda for the kids. I have one keg that is carbonated water. Put some syrup in a plastic bottle, hook a hose up to the tap and fill the bottle from the bottom with the soda water and cap on the foam. Stays carbed for a few days, at least as long as it takes for them to empty them.

Thanks guys, good tip on sanitizing the caps, I hardly ever bottle anymore and would have forgot.

I'll let you know the results!

Well I definitely need a hose to fill from the bottom. The drop in the bottle caused the beer to foam which only allowed me to fill the bottle about half way...

I think this would work if I had a tube that I could hook up to my tap and then end it with the bottle filler...

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Will report back results.

Back