Chai Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWasheville23

Reaction score
I have 4 Gallons of Edworts' Apfelwein at 3 weeks in primary. I am planning on racking to secondary and adding the following amount of spices to produce a slightly sweet chai cider for the winter season:

25 Cardamom Pods (Cracked)
10 Cloves
4 Cinnamon Sticks
10 Whole Black Peppercorns
(The above steeped in 1 quart water at 170, chilled, and added to secondary)
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract

I plan on letting the spice/water mixture sit for 7 days in secondary and then remove spices, keg, and backsweeten/carbonate with 1/2 gallon of apple juice. I enjoy Edworts' Apflewein as is, but I would like something just a tad sweeter/more apple flavored.

Any suggestions on the amount of spices I am adding? I want a nice Chai flavor to come through without any single spice dominating. If the spices are not forward enough I plan on doing a third racking with more spices.

I added 4 cinnamon sticks to 3 gallons of fermented cider and within 48 hours it basically tasted like big red. It was very good potent cinnamon though. Just a warning...

Back