Chacroutte (sp?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Chacroutte is the traditional sauerkraut & various pork products dish of Alscase (sp?)

It usually is made with wine but I love it with beer...

I'm not really a recipe person, but...

fry 4-6 strips bacon, diced. Remove bacon. Add more fat to pan if needed.

Add an onion, diced, and some garlic. Suate until soft.

Add 2-3 sliced apples, stir to mix.

Add a couple country-style pork ribs, a touch of brown sugar, 12 oz beer (preferably light in color), 10 or so juniper berries, salt (go easy) and black pepper. Add one package fresh kraut in the plastic bag (2 lbs?). Add water or chicken stock if additional liquid is needed, but don't let it get soupy.

Simmer covered until the rib meat falls off the bone (1.5 hours?). Add the best sausages you can get your hands on, whatever mix of types you like, and simmer covered another half hour.

Serve w/ buttered new potatoes.

If you put the juniper berries in a little hops bag, you wont have to worry about grandma crunching down on one.

This is a great one-dish hearty meal. Use the best sausages you can find.

Sounds like a good dish. In the past I was never a recipe person, but I have become a recipe formulator so that others can reproduce my work, and that I can have a level of consistency in certain dishes that I want to be the same (or as close to it) every time. I have been digging Juniper lots lately. My inlaws have a few trees, so I have plenty of berries. Chomping down on one isn't all that bad, not as much as an Allspice or a Clove lol. :D

Back