CFC - Is this the appropriate hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlammer

Reaction score
I think i am finally ready to go from an IC to a CFC. This is in part due to the fact that i just squished my IC to fit into my HLT for a Herms set up.

I have been looking around for hose and the best i can find is this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I plan to recirculate from teh BK to sanitize the chiller. This hose is rated for 190 degrees F. I can't find anything that is higher that won't break the bank.

What do you guys think?

People have even used the cheaper vinyl stuff without major problem, but I do like the rubber hoses rated for hot water just like you've linked to. When you think about it, it's only $15 per CFC when cut in half.

Probably going to build two if i can get someone go halves with me. I don't need two, but the cost to build one is 75% of the cost to build two.

People have even used the cheaper vinyl stuff without major problem, but I do like the rubber hoses rated for hot water just like you've linked to. When you think about it, it's only $15 per CFC when cut in half.
Yeah, I used the cheapest hose at the store for my CFC, not heat rated or even decent quality. The main section of hose that covers the coil is just fine and dandy, it's very rigid and holds its shape well. The inlet and outlet are garbage, though. The rigidity of the hose material means that it kinks really easily, and the female threaded end leaks under full mains pressure. I will probably eventually replace those with lengths of decent quality heat-rated 5/8" ID tubing from the store and keep the rest of the CFC intact.

I believe the 190F rating is for Max Operational Temp (loaded under pressure). I used the cheap stuff on my original CFC and it worked great.

NPF (no problem found)!

Cheers! :mug:

When i built my CFC i used bobbys writeup as my guide but i couldnt get a good price on a water hose so i used automotive heater hose in 5/8. it was super cheap and can take the temp without any problem, and its not going to come into contact with your wort so you dont really have to worry about contamination. Just a thought. Here is the link if your interested....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/got-my-counter-flow-finished-80940/

This was the hose that I've been looking at. Was it hard to get the copper through with that inside coiling? I liked it cause it would probably help get into turbulent flow. Also when making two what do you do for the hose fittings? Because obviously a 50' hose only has two ends and you theoretically need 4. (sorry for posting on old thread)

Back