Magic Chef 6.8 cu. ft. keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you searched craigslist first? Both of my freezers have come from there. I paid $75 for one and $60 for the other.

I am on the prowl for a CL freezer, so far nothing for a decent price... just wondering if I can find a new one for a reasonable price and if it's worth it (energy efficiency). Currently running a 4 tap converted fridge that is WAY old and not very efficient. I have yet to run it for a whole summer but I fully expect it to cost me. Plus, I don't use the freezer for more than freezing gallon jugs of water. Figured I might be able to talk the wife into a keezer build, :)

I have the next size up and made it into a 2 tapper keezer, use a digital controller and use a 4 degree swing. Never have had a problem with it my beer dispenses at 37 degrees all the time.

my only complaint is that it just, and I mean just holds a ball lock corny keg, I would like a few more inches clearance on top. but that is minor, I took the side cover off and ran my probe wire and co2 tube in through that way, sealed up the holes with silicone caulk and set the controller on the side. co2 maniforld inside.

I have the next size up and made it into a 2 tapper keezer, use a digital controller and use a 4 degree swing. Never have had a problem with it my beer dispenses at 37 degrees all the time.

my only complaint is that it just, and I mean just holds a ball lock corny keg, I would like a few more inches clearance on top. but that is minor, I took the side cover off and ran my probe wire and co2 tube in through that way, sealed up the holes with silicone caulk and set the controller on the side. co2 maniforld inside.

What did you use for the collar? Seems like most use 2x6? Maybe.... I am going to keep my eye out for a good deal and check back on this one, still winter so have plenty of time. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

What did you use for the collar? Seems like most use 2x6? Maybe.... I am going to keep my eye out for a good deal and check back on this one, still winter so have plenty of time. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

I use a 4 degree swing on my controller, the beer remains constant as it has a lot of mass. One reason so many keezers give up the ghost is the temp swing is not large enough for the compressor to cool down and it works all the time.

no collar, have the taps in a tower in the top. you have to reinforce a portion of the top, take off the top and turn over.
let see, cut a 18 x 18 inch area from the inner plastic where you want your tower, use a chisel and clear out the foam insulation. Cut a 1/2 in piece of plywood 18 x 18 and glue in there. make sure there is no foam between the metal and plywood. then get a 4 - 1/2 x 20 nuts and bolts and washers and collars. measure a pattern and bolt down the plywood, now the top is solid and will support the tower. pick up some spray foam from home despot and carefully fill the area between the plywood and where you are going to reglue the plastic. remember that stuff expands a lot. once it has expanded, you use something to cut it down so that you can glue the plastic to the foam and it fits like it was never cut out. you will need to use some silicone caulk in the kerf from the original cut but that is minor.
Now turn it over and using a hole saw drill a 2 inch hole all the way through. I did a pilot screw all the way through so I could cut from both sides, seems to give a nicer finish, I then made a plastic sleeve and glued that in and sealed it.
Now measure for the screw holes of the tower, drill the holes through the metal but not the wood and use some screws to hold it down, All the hardware I used was stainless steel. anyway put the top back on and hook up the kegs. :rockin:

I bought the magic chef 6.8 from HD. I am planning a 6 tap build. I have been tossing up a few different ideas for the collar, but I'm really thinkin I'm going to go with a 2x10 for my collar. I can't say much about the freezer yet seein how I haven't plugged it in. I do know that magic chef is a great appliance brand and the guy at HD told me he is also in the rent to own industry and these have taken some heavy abuse without any problems. All in all I'm happy with my purchase. It'll hold 6 ball locks and I bought this tall skinny co2 tank for $40 shipped that will squeeze in there with all 6 cornys! I plan to do a build thread when I get all my other stuff in. I'll be ordering the keg set up from keg connection this weekend and hopefully ill be able to pick up lumber as well to start the collar. I may be repurposing the stc 1000 temp controller from my ferm fridge infill I can get another stc 1000. The swmbo is already upset about the expenses!

I am on the prowl for a CL freezer, so far nothing for a decent price... just wondering if I can find a new one for a reasonable price and if it's worth it (energy efficiency). Currently running a 4 tap converted fridge that is WAY old and not very efficient. I have yet to run it for a whole summer but I fully expect it to cost me. Plus, I don't use the freezer for more than freezing gallon jugs of water. Figured I might be able to talk the wife into a keezer build, :)

I bought the new ones because I tried the used approach and wound up with a freezer carcass very shortly (twice). It just seemed that I was taking someones nearly dead freezer off their hands and they did not have to dispose of it. I wound up paying a service to take them both away. On the other hand, buying a new one really does not guarantee you anything. You kill the warranty as soon as you start modifying it. Most of these are made in the same factories with different brand names on them. So, you can buy the GE and pay $50 more and it may be the same internally or the Magic Chef or buy a used one. Once you modify them by drilling holes into the lids and start toying around with the way they run, it's all a crap shoot and they will all break...sooner or later. They are made to freeze, not serve cold beer.

I have the MC 6.8, slapped a 2*8 collar on it and have 3 pin locks on the floor. I keep a bunch of bombers on the hump. Love controller. Works great.

Hey guys, I bought the Magic Chef 6.9 cu ft at Home Depot and it holds 4 slimline torpedos on the bottom without a collar. I'm still adding a 2" one for taps and a water line to/from my conical cooling coil.

I also have 2 AEB and 2 old corny and the boots on them are barely too small to fit 4.

IMG_3516.jpg

Back