Centennial reciepe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamNorfolk1982

Reaction score
Hi

I did a 10 litre brew with about 1.5kg MO 150g carapils and 125g caramalt

I then added

5g centennial @ 60
5g centennial @ 30
5g centennial @15
5g centennial @ 5

Im not sure I worked out the hops correctly I think I should have put more in??
Any help

OK, with my badly-adjusted amounts to non-metric units, and assuming you probably started with 12-13 liters, Brewer's Friend gives me a 1.040 OG, 1.010FG, with 43.5 IBUs.

If you were trying to make a nice Pale Ale, I think you succeeded. If this was an attempt at an IPA, then yeah, you needed more hops. And grains.

:)

For those working in US units, that is 4 lbs grain and 0.7 ozs hops, in 2.5 gallons.

I'd say you have a nice quafable ESB. A little strong for a bitter, but too little hop presence for a Pale Ale.

This looks like the hop schedule for the two hearted clone except that 30 minute addition should be taken out. Try this:

14 grams 60 minute
14 grams 15 minute
14 grams 5 minute
14 grams 1 minute

dry hop 5 days with 28 grams.

This is very close to Bell's two hearted ale. I do this at 5 gallons and basically double the hops from what I posted here and dry hop in the keg. It's a great beer.

Did you have some style in mind when you made this, or...?

My thoughts exactly. The recipe shown doesn't have a whole lot of details, nor does it state what the end intention was. What should have done? Starting with "What was trying to be accomplished?" is a better point.

That said I'm sure it's a fine beer. Not terribly unlike something I recently made, though I upped the 30 minute hop point addition to account for a shorter boil. Should be kegging that one in a day or two. For reference I was aiming for a easy drinking ~5% , slightly malt forward (from IBU/GU standpoint) with a finish that leans towards hop flavour. Hydrometer sample tasted like I hit the mark, or at least came close. Didn't seem to fall directly into any category by the book.

Am going to do another 10 litre brew today, I've got MO, some Caramalt, Carapils, Torrified wheat, HOPS- admiral, EKG, Centennial, Challenger any help??

If you like hops, I'd try a little of the Admiral as a 60 minute addition, then add maybe 14 grams of Centennial when you turn the burner off, let it sit until the temp drops naturally to around 180F, then add another 14 grams and let it sit for until the temp drops naturally to around 165, then dry hop with another 14 or so grams.

If you like hops, I'd try a little of the Admiral as a 60 minute addition, then add maybe 14 grams of Centennial when you turn the burner off, let it sit until the temp drops naturally to around 180F, then add another 14 grams and let it sit for until the temp drops naturally to around 165, then dry hop with another 14 or so grams.

Ok great thanks!!would you about 7-8 grams of admiral its 13.9 AA

Back