Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and that has never been an issue before for you?

wonderful, thanks soo much!

Not sure which you are referring to so I'll answer both:
Force carb 30psi for 2 days, then bleed and serve at 6psi has always been my standard for my set up and give perfect carbonation every time.
I have done 10-14 day primary ferments with light beers, even pale ales and IPA's a ton over the years (typically double pitched dry yeast) and always turns out great.

Not sure which you are referring to so I'll answer both:
Force carb 30psi for 2 days, then bleed and serve at 6psi has always been my standard for my set up and give perfect carbonation every time.
I have done 10-14 day primary ferments with light beers, even pale ales and IPA's a ton over the years (typically double pitched dry yeast) and always turns out great.

wonderful news and information, thanks soo much!

I just checked mine, and it is sitting at 1.008-1.006 right now...DANG that was fast! I only hit ~1.040 OG.

I will check it again tomorrow, and if its the same, good to go into a keg?

I usually (for the 5 batches I've done so far, LOL) cold crash in the keg. my thinking is, its going to get cold in the keg anyways, let it cold crash in there, and i'm going to clean the keg after its empty anyways also...so...or is that silliness and I'm missing something?

thanks again everyone! I can't wait...the sample tasted good...but I know it is still young.

thanks again all.

It will be cloudy for a while. When I don't use gelatin it takes better than a week to clear up. There isn't any difference in the taste that I can discern, but it isn't quite as pretty for a while...;)

It will be cloudy for a while. When I don't use gelatin it takes better than a week to clear up. There isn't any difference in the taste that I can discern, but it isn't quite as pretty for a while...;)

noted...thank you for the info...I have never used gelatin before...I will look into the process some.

thanks,

Of course, if you're not in a rush, it will clear up pretty nicely all on it's own... ;)

20160607_194727.jpg

wonderful news and information, thanks soo much!

I just checked mine, and it is sitting at 1.008-1.006 right now...DANG that was fast! I only hit ~1.040 OG.

I will check it again tomorrow, and if its the same, good to go into a keg?

I usually (for the 5 batches I've done so far, LOL) cold crash in the keg. my thinking is, its going to get cold in the keg anyways, let it cold crash in there, and i'm going to clean the keg after its empty anyways also...so...or is that silliness and I'm missing something?

thanks again everyone! I can't wait...the sample tasted good...but I know it is still young.

thanks again all.

It's not a bad idea to shorten your dip tube a half inch or so
That way, you are pulling above the sediment. You'll leave a couple of yeasty beers behind, but it c an help from pulling gunk in.

It's not a bad idea to shorten your dip tube a half inch or so
That way, you are pulling above the sediment. You'll leave a couple of yeasty beers behind, but it c an help from pulling gunk in.

marvelous!!! thanks soo much...maybe I will have a "in a hurry" keg, that I have a shortened dip tube for...thanks!

So today it was finally my turn to brew this beer. What a brew day! First I spilled grain all over my kitchen, overshot the mash temp, then my new induction plate quit on me while bringing the wort to a boil, then I mixed up the first Centennial addition and added Cascade instead, my immersion chiller's hose slipped off and sprayed water all over the kitchen and last but not least, I missed my OG by .06. Oh and my hop spider fell apart and sank in my wort.

But now I have 14L of wort in my basement hopefully on it's way to becoming tasty Centennial Blonde ale.

I usually skip a secondary but for this beer I'm going to do one. My last blonde ale has a yeasty flavour that I don't want to repeat.

Update: airlock is ripping away 12 hours later.

So today it was finally my turn to brew this beer. What a brew day! First I spilled grain all over my kitchen, overshot the mash temp, then my new induction plate quit on me while bringing the wort to a boil, then I mixed up the first Centennial addition and added Cascade instead, my immersion chiller's hose slipped off and sprayed water all over the kitchen and last but not least, I missed my OG by .06. Oh and my hop spider fell apart and sank in my wort.

But now I have 14L of wort in my basement hopefully on it's way to becoming tasty Centennial Blonde ale.

I usually skip a secondary but for this beer I'm going to do one. My last blonde ale has a yeasty flavour that I don't want to repeat.

Update: airlock is ripping away 12 hours later.

I'm sure it will be fine. Just dont drink as much on your next brew day .. lol

well, I checked it last night and it was down a couple more points, 1.006/1.005 now...so I moved out some kegs from my keezer and I'm cold crashing it now...as suggested :)

how long should I cold crash this, before I keg it? I've got lots of time now...I won't need to get it into bottles until the June 20-22 time frame...the comp drop off is June 23rd I think.

well, I checked it last night and it was down a couple more points, 1.006/1.005 now...so I moved out some kegs from my keezer and I'm cold crashing it now...as suggested :)

how long should I cold crash this, before I keg it? I've got lots of time now...I won't need to get it into bottles until the June 20-22 time frame...the comp drop off is June 23rd I think.

Usually 48 hrs is plenty.

Tasted the goods today, due to the screw up of grains and hops (9lb 2 row, .75 carapils, .5 crustal10 with 0.5oz additions of hops) combined with 2 full lemons at 10min Mark, and only 10 days to ferment a 1.062 beer rather than 1.042...I ended up with more of a lemon shandy rather than a blonde. 6.8%. It's got quite the bitterness. Didn't turn out as hoped but not bad either.

So my first all grain brew attempt was quite an experience......used 1.25 qt per lb and hit 154 just as planned. I had pre heated the tun with my strike water at 185 and I waited ten minites or so b4 doughing in but I still lost a few degrees during the mash....at the end of the hour the temp varied with some spots reading 147 some reading 150......when I added my water to mash out it only raised everything to 155ish so I had to add a few more gallons of hot water to mash out at 167ish....so my hour mash turned into a 90 minute mash.....I figured my huge 18 to 20 inch diameter kettle would boil off at least 1 and a half gallons per hr but it did not....I feel I may have too much volume.....would this recipe be off balance with an avg in the 3 percent range? I am impressed with my homemade wort chiller bringing the boiling wort down to 80 degrees in 12 minutes with water from the spigot....

Anyone dry hop this beer. I made a similar blonde using cent and homegrown cascade hops from last year. I have about 2oz of cascade leaf left over and was thinking of dry hopping with it but I'm used to dry hopping as I brew mostly pale ales and ipas.

Anyone dry hop this beer. I made a similar blonde using cent and homegrown cascade hops from last year. I have about 2oz of cascade leaf left over and was thinking of dry hopping with it but I'm used to dry hopping as I brew mostly pale ales and ipas.

I have dry hopped with 3oz of citra and it was delicious. I have 10 gallons fermenting right now. Gonna dry hop 5 gallons with mosaic and the other batch I'm gonna use Chinook. I love dry hopping this beer!

I brewed a variation of this a few weeks back. Same malt bill but with Southern Cross @ 35min then Azacca at 20 and 5. Dry Hopped with 1.5oz Azacca as well, in a 6gallon batch. I fermented with WLP075, blend of 090 and 007

Samples were excellent, can't wait for them to carb up.

My gravity read 1.038 @ 66.9 degrees F. Pitched a packet of s-05 and am very excited. Only thing I did different was I threw in .25 oz cascade and .25 oz centennial at flame out. Gonna rack to secondary with my All In One wine pump and cold crash with 21 lb bags of ice once ferment is complete. Then bottle carb to 2 volumes. I was hoping to achieve a step up from a BMC but a step down from the typical APA. Will just have to wait I guess.

Results are in. Brewed this a week or so ago. 1.040 down to 1.008 using 1098. Really a great beer. Nice malty hint of sweetness. Cleared really nicely. First time using RO water and using Clarity Ferm. No Chill haze at all. A real quaffer at 4.2% ABV

Thank Biermuncher for the simple yet elegant recipe. I might dryhop the other 5 gallons in the keg for a little more nose on that batch.

Can somebody help with this recipe for 50l Keg Keggle eBIAB with circulation ?

BeerSmith says:

50l/13.2 gal batch, assuming 70% eff

18.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.98 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.77 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.32 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.60 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.60 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.60 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.60 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Brew update. After leaving this in the primary for 14 days, and has now been bottle conditioned for a full 5 weeks this beer is EXCELLENT. I did taste the slightly bread-type flavour after 1 week in the bottle, but that is gone now. Just clean, crisp, and just enough body to it. To bad I drank half of the 5 gallon batch before it reached this point...

Brew update. After leaving this in the primary for 14 days, and has now been bottle conditioned for a full 5 weeks this beer is EXCELLENT. I did taste the slightly bread-type flavour after 1 week in the bottle, but that is gone now. Just clean, crisp, and just enough body to it. To bad I drank half of the 5 gallon batch before it reached this point...

*******. :D

I'm going back and forth on whether I should dry-hop this with Cascade. Can anyone that has done both (no DH vs DH) on this beer share their thoughts?

I honestly don't think it would hurt. I didnt dry hop mine, but I would love to have a little more hops in the nose.

I've actually thought since this is such a clean beer, we could almost emulate a bo-pilsner with it by using some Saaz hops to get a little more crispness and hop bite. I might have to try making this again with some modifications and report back.

I'm going back and forth on whether I should dry-hop this with Cascade. Can anyone that has done both (no DH vs DH) on this beer share their thoughts?

Definitely dry hop. I did a spilt batch and both myself and my girlfriend preferred the dry hopped

Definitely dry hop. I did a spilt batch and both myself and my girlfriend preferred the dry hopped

I know I'll prefer it, more hops is always better imo :). But I brew blonde ales mostly for my girlfriend and she's not huge on hops. But you have me convinced, this is getting a dry hop tonight.

I need to get two 2 smaller carboys to split batches.

I know I'll prefer it, more hops is always better imo :). But I brew blonde ales mostly for my girlfriend and she's not huge on hops. But you have me convinced, this is getting a dry hop tonight.

I need to get two 2 smaller carboys to split batches.

Or get a bigger kettle and brew 10 gallons at a time!!!

Or get a bigger kettle and brew 10 gallons at a time!!!

Fair enough! Until now I was bottling so less was more. I don't want to ever have to bottle 10 gallons by hand. But I just ordered kegs and am in the process of upgrading to a dedicated brew room with my buddy so soon that should be a possibility :)

Back