Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed (mostly) this 5gal recipe yesterday. I added 1/2 lb flaked oats, 1/4 lb acidulated and 1/4 biscuit. Changed the hop schedule a little as well. 1/2oz Centennial FWH and another 1/2oz at 20 min, then 4oz citra in the "whirlpool" with 1.5oz of that around ~170F and 2.5oz at ~145F for about 15 min each. First time trying this method, but I think I'll also DH with some citra near peak fermentation or a little after. Really looking forward to trying this after all the reviews!

A couple of notes I had:
1) my mash was a little low for the first 15-20 min at ~147, so I upped it to ~151-152 for the final 40 min, which thinned out the mash a little to close to 1.4 quarts/lb
2) I ended up collecting about 7 gal of wort at ~1.037 which got up to about 1.048 after the 60 min boil, which yielded 5gal into the FV

It sounds like this beer finishes up pretty quickly? I'm hoping to have it kegged and carbonated for a party on the 28th. I thought I read some replies on this thread about it being possible, but anyone brew this recently and have been able to package and serve within 2 weeks?

Thanks guys!

Tried my hand at this. Hard to beat 13 days grain to glass! Will probably keep some on tap at all times now. My wife is not a beer drinker but said she would drink this if she had to. I guess that's progress! I tweaked it just a touch for a 6 gallon batch. Also some untappd kudos from a buddy.

157ir09.jpg

zy9fll.jpg

Entered this into a comp and poured at a festival this weekend. Great feedback all the way around. Judges' scores ranged from 41-45, took first place in its category. Cheers for the great recipe!

x10var.jpg

I will be attempting this brew as my first all grain soon. I will mash @ 154 for a little more body and add some late addition hops for a little more hop character. I was thinking a half oz. @ flame out. My only regret is that I will have to bottle condition as I have no kegging equipment yet. And I don't think muy wife will let me have any until we move into a house. Will post pics during process.

10 days in primary, 4 days until bottling and there is a strong centennial flavor when I sniff the airlock
Can't wait to see what it taste like using the below hop schedule.
My next batch will be all grain.

.30 oz centennial 55 min
.40 oz centennial 20 min
.20 cascade 10 min
.20 cascade 5 min

Had 5 gallons of this in primary for the past 14 days. Just bottled 2.5 gallons and tasted a little sample. Yup, I can see why BMC drinkers would drink this. I'm headed to a weekend in a cabin with family in a few weeks, so the first half of this batch is for my dad.

The second half is being dry hopped with 1oz of centennial for the next 5-7 days. I personally like a beer with a little more hops and my SWMBO won't touch anything that isn't a saison, a sour, hopped to the gills, or basically anything that's not BMC.

So if everything works out as planned, I'll be pleasing both ends of the spectrum with one 5 gallon batch!

Bottled 44 bottles (knocked one over)
Has a skunky-grapefruity flavor.
Defiantly going to be along the line of BMC

Gonna do a raspberry version. Up the 2 row to #10 .And going to do a hop stand for 20 mins and a dry hop in keg.

I've used Notty and S-05, both at about 66-68 degrees. I think the Notty ferments faster but there isn't much difference in the taste as far as I can tell. More refined palates may disagree, however.

Hey all, looking to brew this Sunday and had a question about the hops. I've been thru a lot of pages so far and haven't seen this question confirmed. I have quite a bit of A galaxy on hand. Has anyone subbed in galaxy for ether cascade or centennial?

How did they like the beer? Always nice to hear feedback. I know everyone loves it at my house because it's such a clean, great tasting beer.
:mug:

They did! One of the more popular beers I've brewed yet. Only complaint about it was that it was a little hoppy (entirely my fault). I accidentally bought too much hops, but decided to throw them in anyway, it ended up too hoppy for what it was. Wasn't bad, just a bit much for a blonde.

This recipe will become a regular at my house.

Brewed this again after 2yrs, idk how the saved recipe on my computer was so off? Called for 9lb 2row, 1lb Vienna, 0.5lb C10, 0.75lb carapils. 0.5oz hop additions. I added my 2 lemons with 10min left in boil. OG 1.062. Guess it might almost be more of a pale ale than a blonde at this point...smelled great either way.

I just brewed a 5 gallon AG batch of this and man is it a great beer. I need to adjust the recipe for my equipment; my OG was 1.046 and I ended up with a 4.7% beer (FG was 1.010). 15 days in primary at 68*F and straight into the keg for 5 days at 42*F and it's ready to drink. Probably one of the fastest turnaround recipes I've seen and I imagine it will probably be even faster if I hadn't overshot the OG.

Thanks BierMuncher! Cheers from the Westport area! :mug:

Has anyone tried drinking this with a lime (like a corona)?
I am trying I find someway to get SWMBO to drink it!

I just did a raspberry one .I up the grain bill a bit .It's still in the secondary now. I'll let y'all know how it turns out .

How much raspberry did you use?

I used 12 oz of frozen raspberries .It's the first time I used fruit in my beer .People have told me to use frozen ones because you don't have to worry about infections .I racked in on top of them in the secondary for a week after a week in primary .Gonna put it in the keg this weekend .:rockin:

Once I tried this with lime this spring, I exclusively drink it that way. It is fantastic on a hot day, extremely refreshing.

Once I tried this with lime this spring, I exclusively drink it that way. It is fantastic on a hot day, extremely refreshing.

I bought a lime today at the grocery store. I also have a keg of this that was fermented with Conan and came out a bit too fruity. I think I need to "spike" it with some lime. :mug:

View attachment 357251
Biermunchers blonde fermented on strawberries. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I've done it with lemons and then one with blueberries. Blueberry was ok but lemon was a ton better. I think citrus fruits work better in this than berries but strawberry sounds good. Almost did orange instead of lemon this time but figured stick with what I know works great in this.

Brewed this last weekend. Took a hydrometer reading last night and it came in at 1.008 (OG of 1.044). Sample tasted great. Going to leave it in primary for at least a few more days, cold crash and transfer to the keg with some gelatin. Can't wait till its cold and carbed!

Having some people over for my kid's birthday and hoping it'll be a crowd pleaser.

I've done it with lemons and then one with blueberries. Blueberry was ok but lemon was a ton better. I think citrus fruits work better in this than berries but strawberry sounds good. Almost did orange instead of lemon this time but figured stick with what I know works great in this.

I did half straight and half with the strawberries. They are both great but the strawberry is going fast. This is definitely one that will stay on rotation. My wife has already asked me to brew again and use watermelon this time.

I did half straight and half with the strawberries. They are both great but the strawberry is going fast. This is definitely one that will stay on rotation. My wife has already asked me to brew again and use watermelon this time.

I used 12 oz of frozen raspberries .It's the first time I used fruit in my beer .People have told me to use frozen ones because you don't have to worry about infections .I racked in on top of them in the secondary for a week after a week in primary .Gonna put it in the keg this weekend .:rockin:

Just kegged it .Took a sip of the hydro sample very balanced .Can't wait till the keg to carb. It came out to be a %7. I upped the 2 row to #10. And the fruit added a lil bit too. I'll post a pic of pigs pink beer as soon as its ready to drink.

I'm just curious...I just brewed this up on Saturday, pitched Saturday after brewing as well...I've read some comments like, "13 days, grain to glass"...and "done in 10 days"...I was just curious...for those who have brewed this before,how fast should I roughly expect to have this coming from my keg, assuming all goes well and I can get to it right away and life and work doesn't get in the way, like sometimes happens...just a rough idea...

so started June 4th evening...ten days done fermentation, then three days carbonating in the kegs in the keezer, does that sound about right to what others have seen?

Sounds about right to me.

I usually, if possible, just cold crash one day and keg on the day after at 30 psi.

But I usually wait two weeks or cold crash on day thirteen and keg on the fourteenth. Don't usually take gravity readings on this schedule. :D:D

I do keep it in a fermentation freezer at 67 for the entire time. But may up the temp a couple degrees for the last two days before cold crashing.

YMMV

Love this recipe. Just had to make it again Saturday. Short on Cara/Pils Dextrine so subbed 4 oz. of honey malt. Anxious to see how this turns out. May not be enough honey in this blonde to notice. But I did a five gallon batch :)

Sounds about right to me.

I usually, if possible, just cold crash one day and keg on the day after at 30 psi.

But I usually wait two weeks or cold crash on day thirteen and keg on the fourteenth. Don't usually take gravity readings on this schedule. :D:D

I do keep it in a fermentation freezer at 67 for the entire time. But may up the temp a couple degrees for the last two days before cold crashing.

YMMV

Love this recipe. Just had to make it again Saturday. Short on Cara/Pils Dextrine so subbed 4 oz. of honey malt. Anxious to see how this turns out. May not be enough honey in this blonde to notice. But I did a five gallon batch :)

thanks dcrog...my homebrew club has a comp coming up, and I didn't think I would have anything to submit...but I was able to bang this out on Saturday, so I'm not sure if rushing it is really a good thing to do for a comp, LOL...but it's also only my 6th batch and I don't know when I'll get to brew anything else for any other comps...oh decisions, decisions!

thanks for your reply :tank:

I'm just curious...I just brewed this up on Saturday, pitched Saturday after brewing as well...I've read some comments like, "13 days, grain to glass"...and "done in 10 days"...I was just curious...for those who have brewed this before,how fast should I roughly expect to have this coming from my keg, assuming all goes well and I can get to it right away and life and work doesn't get in the way, like sometimes happens...just a rough idea...

so started June 4th evening...ten days done fermentation, then three days carbonating in the kegs in the keezer, does that sound about right to what others have seen?

I typically give it 2 weeks in primary, but on a time crunch this round for golf tournament this coming Saturday. Brewed 5/29, will keg on day 10 (Wed) and keep on 30psi until Fri. 2 days at 30psi is my normal force carb time and works perfectly.

I typically give it 2 weeks in primary, but on a time crunch this round for golf tournament this coming Saturday. Brewed 5/29, will keg on day 10 (Wed) and keep on 30psi until Fri. 2 days at 30psi is my normal force carb time and works perfectly.

and that has never been an issue before for you?

wonderful, thanks soo much!

How much (fresh/whole?) strawberry did you do? Assuming it was in 2.5 gallons

I've done it in less-about a week. It is usually done fermenting in three or four days. Cold crash for a couple of days or rack onto gelatin and cold crash for a day, keg and shake carb. It turns out great.

I've done it in less-about a week. It is usually done fermenting in three or four days. Cold crash for a couple of days or rack onto gelatin and cold crash for a day, keg and shake carb. It turns out great.

awesome!!! thanks soo much for your help.

Brewed 5/29, kegged 9 days later (time crunch, golf tourney) OG 1.062 FG 1.010 :rockin: Awesome lemon smell (2 lemons this time vs 1 last time), sample was so citrusy and refreshing tasting...this is going to be a dangerous summer brew at 6.8% ABV

Back