Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking at making a full 5 gallon batch.
How ever due to limited equipment I can't go full AG,
Has anyone ever made it partial grain/partial extract with good results ?
I was thinking of massing 2 or 3# 2 row 1# carpil
And then using 3# DME
For a total of 5# as called for in the extract recipe.

Thoughts?

This is what I did for a mini-mash version (2.5G recipe) -

2.5# Vienna malt
6 oz Carapils
4 oz C10
Mashed @ 150 for 75 minutes.

FWH .125 oz Centennial. Boiled for 60 minutes.
.125 oz Centennial @ T-20
.125 oz Centennial @ T-5
.125 oz Centennial @ F/O
1.5# light DME @ F/O

I didn't have any Cascade, so I used all Centennial. Obviously, you can use the original hop-schedule.

It was great, so many people complimented this beer.

:)

I brewed this up yesterday, efficiency was through the roof! Came in at 1.048, almost 10 points higher than what I need. I diluted it to 1.045, and I'm just wondering whether I should dilute further or just ferment/drink it as is. Anyone else had this a bit stronger than specified?

I brewed this up yesterday, efficiency was through the roof! Came in at 1.048, almost 10 points higher than what I need. I diluted it to 1.045, and I'm just wondering whether I should dilute further or just ferment/drink it as is. Anyone else had this a bit stronger than specified?

This looks like one I'm gonna try soon and was thinking of bumping it up a bit myself. I'm bigger than most and want to feel a little effect after the first pint or 2. Shouldn't think bumping it up a bit will effect the taste a whole lot but curious what others will chime in at.

The two times I have made this, I came out at least a few points over on my OG. Don't dilute it too much, else you'll start diluting the flavour.

I say, go with it as-is.

The two times I have made this, I came out at least a few points over on my OG. Don't dilute it too much, else you'll start diluting the flavour.

I say, go with it as-is.

Yeah i was thinking i'll just let it ride, cheers mate! Looking forward to having something simple to drink.

I am going to end up with an extra 1/4 oz of Centennial.
Rather than throw it back in beer fridge at which stage (other than bittering) would this best benefit this beer?

I am going to end up with an extra 1/4 oz of Centennial.
Rather than throw it back in beer fridge at which stage (other than bittering) would this best benefit this beer?

If not for bittering, then it's aroma. So you want late in the boil. In fact, maybe this would be an application for whirlpool addition. Last thing you want is to boil off aroma.

Tried my hand at this. Hard to beat 13 days grain to glass! Will probably keep some on tap at all times now. My wife is not a beer drinker but said she would drink this if she had to. I guess that's progress! I tweaked it just a touch for a 6 gallon batch. Also some untappd kudos from a buddy.

157ir09.jpg

zy9fll.jpg

I don't much like keeping open hops I the fridge so I did .5 oz centennial at 60 and the other 1.5 oz between 10 mins and flameout. Its more IPA'ish this way but still a very good beer. Ive made the base recipe 2 times and it was stellar both times. Cheers.

Has any one made this using US-05?
I don't have any Notty in the fridge, but have 2 -05's

Was planning on making a 5 gallon extract batch. I have the following in the fridge:
3# golden DME
1# pale DME
1# carapils

Can I just mash/sparage 2# 2 row?

Or is it easier to just grab 1# DME?

Will the mix of pale & golden throw off the flavors?

Doing up another 11 gallons per the recipe. Hit a great 1.040 pre-boil efficiency and the new burner send to be sipping gas. And it's quiet.

A few more minutes and I'll drop the flavor hops. This was a huge hit the last time I did it and I've got a housewarming to serve in two weeks.

Thanks again for the great recipe.

I made this beer recently and while it was clean and drinkable, mine came out very very dry and with very low hop presence. I was hoping someone could explain what might of been the cause.

To start things off my OG was 1.043 and it fermented down to 1.004 after 2 weeks. The yeast I had on hand was OYL-004 (West Coast ale). It was just under a month old, so I made a one liter starter, and let that ride for 2 days before pitching.

I should mention this was also my first time trying BIaB...well in a cooler and besides the low FG almost everything else seem to hit number wise.

I mashed at 151f for 75 mins in a cooler with a brew bag. I use a thermapen, so I have no reason to think that the mash temperature would be wrong but I don't have other thermometers to accurately test that. I sparged by dunking and squeezing in two gallons of warm water that was taken earlier from the strike water. I had to boil the wort for 80mins because my pre boil volume was a little more than I needed, and I did wait till the 60min mark before adding my first hops. After cooling and adding the wort to carboy, I checked the OG and I was at 1.043.

I fermented the beer at 64f for 7 days, then bumped it up to 68 for 7 days. For some reason I had the idea to rock the fermenter gently to rouse the yeast every 2 or so days during fermentation. After 2 weeks, I cold crashed for 3 days and kegged. I force carbed at 30psi for 24 hour than 10psi for 5 days.

The end result was somewhat thin, minimum hop aroma and taste, with a very faint malt flavor near the finish right before it instantly disperses into nothingness. While it's somewhat refreshing and hides the alcohol under the seemingly no taste, it's just not enjoyable to drink. Any ideas of what I did wrong?

I made this beer recently and while it was clean and drinkable, mine came out very very dry and with very low hop presence. I was hoping someone could explain what might of been the cause.

To start things off my OG was 1.043 and it fermented down to 1.004 after 2 weeks. The yeast I had on hand was OYL-004 (West Coast ale). It was just under a month old, so I made a one liter starter, and let that ride for 2 days before pitching.

I should mention this was also my first time trying BIaB...well in a cooler and besides the low FG almost everything else seem to hit number wise.

I mashed at 151f for 75 mins in a cooler with a brew bag. I use a thermapen, so I have no reason to think that the mash temperature would be wrong but I don't have other thermometers to accurately test that. I sparged by dunking and squeezing in two gallons of warm water that was taken earlier from the strike water. I had to boil the wort for 80mins because my pre boil volume was a little more than I needed, and I did wait till the 60min mark before adding my first hops. After cooling and adding the wort to carboy, I checked the OG and I was at 1.043.

I fermented the beer at 64f for 7 days, then bumped it up to 68 for 7 days. For some reason I had the idea to rock the fermenter gently to rouse the yeast every 2 or so days during fermentation. After 2 weeks, I cold crashed for 3 days and kegged. I force carbed at 30psi for 24 hour than 10psi for 5 days.

The end result was somewhat thin, minimum hop aroma and taste, with a very faint malt flavor near the finish right before it instantly disperses into nothingness. While it's somewhat refreshing and hides the alcohol under the seemingly no taste, it's just not enjoyable to drink. Any ideas of what I did wrong?
Same thing happened to me, I then used a .5 to 1oz of centennial to dry hop it and it was great. Note that even before that, as the "dry and almost flavorless" version, my friends liked it.

The following are my opinions:

You mashed too low. Try >1.053.

Use dry yeast and sprinkle the pack in. No rehydration. Use US-05 or Notty. Again no rehydration.

You'll be closer to 1.010 doing those 2 things.

The following are my opinions:

You mashed too low. Try >1.053.

Use dry yeast and sprinkle the pack in. No rehydration. Use US-05 or Notty. Again no rehydration.

You'll be closer to 1.010 doing those 2 things.

Mashing lower should provide a more dry and fermentable wort not leave the FG higher.

To add to the confusion, for some reason I thought the poster said it wasn't dry enough :smack: so I was thinking why in the world would you mash higher. Well now that this is all cleared up, carry on.

I have to say I have been adding a shot of citrus rum to this home brew and it is excellent!

Anyone tried this extract version? wondering if 1 lb of carapils is too much ?

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Currently drinking a nice mug of this right now, and even at 6.5% it's not too shabby! haha oops!

Ingredients:

------------

I have not, but that exact recipe is on deck for my fermenting bucket !

Ingredients:
------------

1lb of carapils is what I've used the last two times I did the extract version, it was fine and did not impact it negatively.

I just recently made the jump into AG brewing because I wanted to find the least expensive, but good, beer that I can just always have around the house. Picked up the ingredients for $17.50! Added a little extra Cascade to my batch and reused some WLP004 Irish Red Ale yeast that I had harvested from my last beer. Hoping to have it ready and kegged for a party in two weeks, sounds like this beer can make that happen. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Really looking forward to trying it out!

I just recently made the jump into AG brewing because I wanted to find the least expensive, but good, beer that I can just always have around the house. Picked up the ingredients for $17.50! Added a little extra Cascade to my batch and reused some WLP004 Irish Red Ale yeast that I had harvested from my last beer. Hoping to have it ready and kegged for a party in two weeks, sounds like this beer can make that happen. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Really looking forward to trying it out!

WLP004 will easily get this beer fermented and clear (with a cold crash) in two weeks. I did mine at 67F and was bottling it up with no problems. I love that yeast for low-gravity, fast-turnaround beers.

I did another 11 gallons this weekend but used pilsner as a base grain. The wort was much lighter in color than I expected and I'm going to do a side by side comparison with the batch I made last week with pale malt. I'm getting close to the 50 gallon mark for amount of Centennial Blonde I've brewed and I've given away almost all of it.

WLP004 will easily get this beer fermented and clear (with a cold crash) in two weeks. I did mine at 67F and was bottling it up with no problems. I love that yeast for low-gravity, fast-turnaround beers.

Perfect! It got my last beer down to FG in only 3 days, so I believe you.

Back