Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 gallons of this in the fermenters. Gonna add blueberry to 5 gallons of it, and the other I will dry hop with some citra. Should be tasty!

Gonna try this recipe with what I have hand.

Of Columbus, Mosaic or Citra. Which would you go with? Or some combo. Also have magnum for bittering if needed.

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

BM, do you think 1/2 oz of Sorachi Ace would work in place of the centennial? I have it laying around as well as a hefe in primary with a nice yeast cake of wyeast 1007 and 3333. What are your thoughts of pitching on top? I don't think it will clear enough. Thanks.

I'm going to brew some of this up this week, with Columbus and Citra, as that's what I have on hand.

Anyone used either before with this? I may go a little hoppier than the original.

I made this recipe a 3rd tonight, with 1 change this time. My wife wanted a cream ale, so I substituted 1lb of 2 row for flaked corn (5lbs 2 row, 1lb flaked corn). I figured this recipe would be a great base for a cream ale. We'll see in a few weeks!

This may have been asked at some point, but with 486 pages it's hard to be sure. I bought the ingredients for this last night, and inadvertently bought Briess Pale Ale malt instead of the plain 2-row. Will that be a problem? Likely to change the taste?

Thanks in advance!

This may have been asked at some point, but with 486 pages it's hard to be sure. I bought the ingredients for this last night, and inadvertently bought Briess Pale Ale malt instead of the plain 2-row. Will that be a problem? Likely to change the taste?

Thanks in advance!

won't matter. "pale ale malt" is basically just a very slightly higher quality of 2-row malt, I think.

Brewed this a few weeks ago, tapped the keg last friday, was gone by sunday! everyone loved it! We plan on brewing it again next weekend, although this time we would like to add a bit of orange to it! How should we go about doing this?

Brewed this a few weeks ago, tapped the keg last friday, was gone by sunday! everyone loved it! We plan on brewing it again next weekend, although this time we would like to add a bit of orange to it! How should we go about doing this?

I think you could add kool-aid packets at bottling (mix with your priming liquid). Maybe 1 packet per gallon for strong flavors and 1 packet per 2 gallons for something a little more subtle? Haven't tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You could... but I wouldn't advise it. I'd rather get any orange flavour from the actual fruit, not fake flavour from chemicals.

I would suggest using orange zest, and maybe a dry-hop with Mandarina Bavaria hops, to get some orange into this beer.

You could... but I wouldn't advise it. I'd rather get any orange flavour from the actual fruit, not fake flavour from chemicals.

I would suggest using orange zest, and maybe a dry-hop with Mandarina Bavaria hops, to get some orange into this beer.

This sounds like a better idea. Id prefer to have natural flavors. Would i add orange zest in the boil? Primary? Secondary?

This sounds like a better idea. Id prefer to have natural flavors. Would i add orange zest in the boil? Primary? Secondary?

Were I going to do something like this, I'd probably throw some in at 5 minutes left in the boil, to lock in some flavour, and then more after primary fermentation is done, for the aroma. Or, as I mentioned above, dry-hop with Mandarina Bavaria for an orange-ish aroma.

But, I have never done this before, so I can't really say with authority if my technique is sound or not.

I throw a half ounce Kohatu to this recipe either at 3 minutes or at flame-out to try to capture some of the "Fruity Pebbles"/fruit punch flavor. This is such a good Blonde Ale, if I had guts, I would try replacing the Cascade with all Kohatu. But I like to have a good light beer on tap for guests, and don't want to take a chance.

I finally used the Nottingham yeast with this brew. Before I've been using 1056 or Kolsch. The Kolsch doesn't go well with it imo. The 1056 is awesome but the gravity would always go to 1.007. We'll see how the notty is different.

I just sprinkled it directly into the bucket and in 12 hours it was going nuts.

I brewed this on Sunday and am finishing up editing the video to post on my YouTube channel. I hit a SG of 1.049 on this one.

I finally used the Nottingham yeast with this brew. Before I've been using 1056 or Kolsch. The Kolsch doesn't go well with it imo. The 1056 is awesome but the gravity would always go to 1.007. We'll see how the notty is different.

I just sprinkled it directly into the bucket and in 12 hours it was going nuts.

Notty took mine down to 1.008, so...

:mug:

I am brewing this first thing in the morning for the millionth time. While at the lhbs I decided to switch it up a bit and bought some sweet dried orange peel. Never used before and was hoping for any advice. I am doing a 10 gallon batch (biab). Thanks in advance, gonna be an early brew.

Always fun to watch a video! Thanks for doing it. My feedback, not that you asked for it, is: 1. Dump the stabilizer and use a legit water salt chemistry calculator. 2. Cover up that fermenter sooner - brewing outside you are just begging for airborne contaminants. I am anal about sanitization, so maybe I am over the top, but something to think about.

Always fun to watch a video! Thanks for doing it. My feedback, not that you asked for it, is: 1. Dump the stabilizer and use a legit water salt chemistry calculator. 2. Cover up that fermenter sooner - brewing outside you are just begging for airborne contaminants. I am anal about sanitization, so maybe I am over the top, but something to think about.

Hmmmmm.... Never used a water salts calculator. I'm sure it's in the beer smith app. Yeah, I know there is a risk for infection when doing outdoor brews. Haven't had any problems yet but I'm sure there is a gamble each time. Thanks for the feedback!

Brewing this for the who knows how many times this weekend. I like it just as much with 100% centennial but probably going to go back to the original hop schedule since I will be racking it into a 5 gallon that was used to hold passion fruit flavoring from a local brewery. Only a small amount of flavoring left (few tablespoons at most). Should turn out interesting.

This sounds like a great first all grain brew for me. I don't want to dive in to deep the first time.

2 friends and I tapped this 5gallom yesterday.
It's almost all gone.

They want me to brew it more often... Not sure, it finishes too quickly.

Has anyone dry hopped this recipe into a mild IPA? Looking to split the batch into two fermenters, one per the recipe and one with a dry hop, or flame out hop. Any advice on integrating some Citra hops??

Thanks, Jim

Jim, I recently brewed this and dryhopped with 2 ounces of citra. It turned out awesome! I highly recommend it!

Back