Cask widge for 5 gal corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewildt

Reaction score
Has anyone used and liked using this in their 5 gallon corny? It seems like a great product after reading the review below. I wonder if I could even go from primary straight to the keg and dry hop in there, using the keg for a secondary. All the sediment would pile to the bottom and I could force carbonate and then just start pulling beer from the top.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/05/review-the-cask-widge/

Interesting product but concerned about how it pulls beer from the top it would also pull in air. +1 on interested in the comments for this.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

I go from primary, tipping the carboy to get every ounce, to keg w priming sugar. You'd have to actively try to create more sediment (ok, you could primary & serve in the same keg). I keep a large glass around for the first draw and it runs clear within 2 pints.

Hmmm........That's the application they are showing.

Believe it attaches to a shortened dip tube.:mug:

LOL! My bad - I didn't actually go to the linked review, I went to the manufacturer's site here and didn't see how that thing would hook up to a corny.

Now that I see it - it's a waste of money, imo. What it "solves" is nothing that isn't already fixed before it happens with a good cold crash before kegging - something I do religiously because it's easy and highly effective...

Cheers!

If it work for you then so be it. I recently started using gelatin to clear the beers. You will pull a glass or two that are not the most attractive, but the rest will be obnoxiously clear.

I'm a bit late to the conversation but I use a widge in three of my kegs and I think it's a great thing. Here are some the benefits/reasons why:

- Particle free first pint
- Beer at the top clears first
- Beer at the top carbonates first
- Beer at the top is ready first
- No clogging from excessive yeast or drop hops.
- The tubing and float seem to offer more resistance than the standard dip tube. This reduces serving line length and allows serving higher carbonation beers with less foam.
- The screen means a particle free last pint!

I don't filter, cold crash or use finings so the widge is a good option for me. You either cut your dip tube or replace it with a gas tube, slip on the tubing and you're good to go.

Back