Cascades are growing already

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabRatBrewer

Lost in a Maze
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two of my cascade plants have re-appeared and are about six inches tall already. It seems early. I'm in southern California so it wasn't like the ground needed to thaw, but I wasn't expecting them yet.

Here in Virginia with the exceptionally warm winter, our spring bulbs have all ready started to grow.

They probably got fooled by that spell of warm weather we had a couple weeks ago (and now again). I suspect that we'll get another round of frost before all is said and done--at least, where I live in N. San Diego County. I'd let them be to do their thing but would prune these first volunteers back come April or May and let another more robust set of shoots make the climb.

Two of my cascade plants have re-appeared and are about six inches tall already. It seems early. I'm in southern California so it wasn't like the ground needed to thaw, but I wasn't expecting them yet.

My second year cascades started shooting up out of the soil about a week or so ago. I live in santa barbara and we have had some warm days and some really cold nights. I like the suggestion to cut the first shoots dvds then letting the new ones climb.

I also live in socal in Orange County and my 2 Cascades and 2 Northern Brewers are just breaking the dirt with a couple of sprouts each. My two Hallertaus have yet to shoot up any sprouts but hopefully they will soon. I suppose Hallertau is the most sensitive of the 3 varieties I have as it is a noble hop.

Edit: I just came home from class and looked closely where the Hallertaus are located, I found 2 little green nubs breaking the surface, so now all of them are out of dormancy!

Hey Ryan714, I'm in OC also. My cascades are growing well (except the three year old, which may not have survived a recent transplant). The Fuggles broke ground. Willamette and Kent UK still sleeping.

Any southern californians want to volunteer to propagate one of their vines and donate it to me? ;D

the easiest way to propagate a vine is to bury it under ground again. the point at which vines merely touch ground occasionally causes roots to develop. the lack of light, moist conditions, etc encourage root growth. after you are sure roots are established you sever the original vine and have a cloned plant.

the same theory can be used for most plants actually.

years of gardening experience and more than a couple bio classes, so useful.

well, i read up on the layering technique, the cuttings method, and rooting in water. I'll try them and see if i can get them root. I do not have root hormone (i'll see if i can get some). A bench mister is beyond my space and means (and i have too many diy projects waiting their turn). If i get a bunch to root, i'll update this thread and ship them out.

I got some rooting hormones. Here are pics of the three methods I am trying out:

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

I am already super excited! Vines are probably by far the most easy plant to root. I have a 99% success rating rooting medical cannabis.

On the other hand I am sure hop plants would make for good trades around the forum as well so this may be very fruitful for you.

Also ya a bench mister is a bit overkill, i have never had to do more than get a propogation tray with a clear dome and spray it down a couple times a week

Okay so take this with a grain of salt, cause my cloning experience is with a completely different plant.

Using a rooting hormone, I have usually had roots form within 2 weeks. So long as the stem and leaves are looking fairly healthy though do not worry. So long as proper moisture levels (like 90ish% rH levels) are maintained the cutting will eventually grow roots.

I would use the cuttings in the fiber pots and water as your marker, pretty soon you should see roots poking through the pots. If no roots are showing and the sprig is still being a trooper let it sit. If you start noticing the base of the stem starting to look weak it is probably giving into infection and should be removed.

Feel free to ask any questions

Some of my recent reading of hop growing has confirmed my belief that they are a typical vine, in that if not kept in check they can easily become invasive. Vines have multiple ways of reproducing, unlike for instance most trees. They put out these vines, the vines touch ground and put out a new set of roots, potentially 20 feet away and thus colonize an area. A great example of this is in the typical 'strawberry pot' where they have a main top area for the initial planting and then mini areas for vines to essentially clone themselves.

On a side note, you generally want your cuttings to be about 5-6 inches in length. you cut off all but the newest set or so of leaves and you make your 45* cut right below the axial bud. The axial bud area has cells that are more easily reverted from stem into root tissue, or so the story goes. I have had plants root out from just about every portion of a stem tho, so go figure...

and I appologize for the double post

Thanks for the information. I'm going to give the mother plants a break and grow a little, then I will cut a few more cuttings. My first cuttings are much shorter than your recommendation. Thanks for all the info. I'll wait and see how this turns out while I am waiting for my fermenters to complete. I've been brewing since 1986, and it still is all about waiting.

Ya, for sure I actually read somewhere that cloning is more appropriate later in the season. I cannot remember where I read that though.

Lol, you have been brewing as long as I have been alive.

I should add that a lot of plants benefit from the removal of the apical meristem (dominate growth tip). It promotes a more even growth which can translate into larger yields. Again this is my experience and research on other plants. I don't see why it would not apply in this situation..

The clipping is the only survivor. Maybe I started to early. I'll try again as the rest of the plants get started. I am concerned that all my plants seemed to have stalled. Hopefully it is just the odd weather.

Here in Vancouver, my second year willamette has been growing for over a month now and is more than 6ft tall. 2nd Cascade is only a couple feet. I've been trying to propagate some of the bines but haven't had success yet.

So, the little clipping is now by far my best plant. It is at least 15 feet tall and growing in many directions (all up'ish). The mother plant (and most all my second and third years) are all struggling alone. I clippped four more tips and put them in rooting hormone. If they take, I could send them out if anyone wants one (I only clipped 4), but I'm not sure when they'd be big enough to survive the mail. They can't be as hardy as a rhizome. Maybe its better to mail them at the end of the season? I have no idea.

Back