Careless.... Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_howard

Reaction score
Well, I can't believe I did this on my first batch. Everything has gone really well with my first batch, and I am planning on bottling tomorrow. Then tonight, I realize that I forgot to put that stopper in after yesterday's final gravity check. So, 24 hours with no stopper. Crud!!! Pure carelessness.

So, how bad did I mess up this batch? I am hoping that since oxygen gets in every time I check the specific gravity, that this isn't terrible. And, I didn't agitate it, so it's not as if O2 was mixed.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I bet that it will be fine. I can't promise that really, but with fermentation over or nearly over risk of infection is fairly low, and unless you're stirring it or something risk of oxidation should be pretty low as well.

Relax, don't worry and have a...not home brew since it's your first batch. You'll be drinking home brew soon enough! :mug:

Well it should be ok, but when in dout BREW AGIN! Cause really if it is messed up you should do your second batch just to make sure you have something to drink. If you are worried about it you could drop a Camdon tablet this will stop fermentation and eliminate Wild yeast or anything that might have got in. Let the Camdon tab do its thing for 24 hours at least. The only thing is you will have to rep itch yeast to bottle.

I appreciate both of your responses. I took a taste, and it seems ok. I leave for vacation on Tuesday, so I'm going to go ahead a bottle as planned, and I'll try it when I get back. What's the worst that can happen? I need to make a new batch!

Talk about carelessness and forgetfullness (is that a word?). I brewed my first lager yesterday and make a really big starter. Had that bad boy on a stir plate too. So after a long cool down, I finally got to pitch my yeast from the flask. Wouldn't you know it, at least for the umteenth time, I pitched the yeast and of course the stir bar as well. So I will not see that stir bar for a few weeks and I want to do a few more brews in the interim.

Now since this is going to lager for a while, I need to make a trip to the local hb shop and get another stir bar.

Day Trippr::Oh,you went there? That's some seriously good miscommunication right there. ha ha :p

Sheldon said:
Talk about carelessness and forgetfullness (is that a word?). I brewed my first lager yesterday and make a really big starter. Had that bad boy on a stir plate too. So after a long cool down, I finally got to pitch my yeast from the flask. Wouldn't you know it, at least for the umteenth time, I pitched the yeast and of course the stir bar as well. So I will not see that stir bar for a few weeks and I want to do a few more brews in the interim.

Now since this is going to lager for a while, I need to make a trip to the local hb shop and get another stir bar.

Try using the magnet from your stir plate or another strong magnet to grab the stir bar from the bottom of your fermenter, drag it along the outside and out the top.

Back