carbuoy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManK

Reaction score
I keep hearing that having a carbuoy for a secondary fermentor is a good thing. What makes it better than a plastic bucket?

When in the primary stage, a plastic bucket is usually fine as there is so much CO2 given off that is doesnt matter if the seal is not the greatest. With a secondary, most of the fermentation is finished and while there is still CO2 comming out, there is less. A glass carboy will seal better as to not let in o2 to get in your beer and oxidize it. Also, with a 5 gal carboy, you limit the headspace to a very small area to also lessen the chance of oxidation. It's not mandatory or anything it just helps.

MrSaLTy said:
When in the primary stage, a plastic bucket is usually fine as there is so much CO2 given off that is doesnt matter if the seal is not the greatest. With a secondary, most of the fermentation is finished and while there is still CO2 comming out, there is less. A glass carboy will seal better as to not let in o2 to get in your beer and oxidize it. Also, with a 5 gal carboy, you limit the headspace to a very small area to also lessen the chance of oxidation. It's not mandatory or anything it just helps.
I've heard it said that O2 permiates the pastic and will get into your brew.
Another advantage of a carbouy, you can see what's going on in there.

Glass, unlike plastic, is not gas permeable. You don't want your beer oxidizing as you age it. It's clear so you can see how clear your beer is and how much yeast has settled out. It's inert to just about everything so any cleaning products are fine. You don't have to worry about scratching the surface and making nice homes for microbes to hang out in. You don't have to worry about a glass carboy carrying an infection from brew to brew. It doesn't seem to pick up odors the way plastic does either.

Plastic is probably ok if you've got a bucket handy right now but if you don't have a secondary yet then you should definitely do it right and get a glass carboy. Eventually you'll probably replace your primary bucket with a 6.5 gal glass carboy and you'll use the bucket to hold star san..

OldManK said:
I keep hearing that having a carbuoy for a secondary fermentor is a good thing. What makes it better than a plastic bucket?

Got two at 'Kitchen and Company' for $12.99 each.

Besides, how cool is it to look over and see an giant glass of beer! :rolleyes:

ok, so not to be a smart ass, but...

it's carboy. when i see carbuoy, i imagine an upside down glass bottle floating in the harbor!

if you are googling carbouy with no results, it's spelled carboy. my wife is an english teacher, what can i say?

barrett

gremlin said:
ok, so not to be a smart ass, but...

it's carboy. when i see carbuoy, i imagine an upside down glass bottle floating in the harbor!

if you are googling carbouy with no results, it's spelled carboy. my wife is an english teacher, what can i say?

barrett
Well you are definitely being a smart ass....:D

;)

Back