Carboys, Plastic vs the mighty glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagatho

Reaction score
hello people

im here whit a new question, i started my first batch of Beer two weeks ago, i use a platic carboy because i cant find a nice and brand new glass carboy, all the one i found was used and with a lot of scratches so i buy a platic one.

now i just read the "broken Glass Carboy horror story" thread i think i will never going to buy a glass carboy.

dont open the link if have a sensitive mind.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=376523

so my question is why do people use more the glass if the plastic is safer? off-flavor? esthetics? :confused:

regards

less oxygen permeability, although that is a stupid argument since the bung leaks way more then the vessel in both plastic and glass cases. Plastic can be scratched a lot easier thus giving a nice home for bugs to live, where glass generally can be cleaned after an infection and be okay to use again. Some people claim they can taste plastic when fermented in it, im fairly sure this is all in their head but you can only taste what you can taste so i suppose it could be real. IMO there is no reason to buy a glass one when you weigh the slight disadvantages of plastic vs the breaking ability of glass.

Oh boy! Here we go again. :eek:

Getting my popcorn popped.....

That said, anyone following my posts knows I advise against glass all the time. Benefits, which are debatable in most cases, are far outweighed by the danger, IMO.

Plastic scratches easily, glass doesn't.

I can go nuts on my glass carboy with my brush and know that I will not create a scratch that can harbor bugs.

That's why my preference is glass. I'm really not worried about it breaking.

a bro tells me that i can clean the plastic carboy without a brush he say that i must rinse the carboy with boiling water just after i use it, then mix the water to take any dry hop from the carboyr wall, then throw the water and repeate with some sanitizer like bleach of starsan and let it sit for a couple of hours.

the rinse again and storage for the next experiment.

i was trying to get a glass carboy just for the esthetics but now that i see the dangerus that they can by i will leave the glass for the stunmans.

a bro tells me that i can clean the plastic carboy without a brush he say that i must rinse the carboy with boiling water just after i use it, then mix the water to take any dry hop from the carboyr wall, then throw the water and repeate with some sanitizer like bleach of starsan and let it sit for a couple of hours.

the rinse again and storage for the next experiment.

i was trying to get a glass carboy just for the esthetics but now that i see the dangerus that they can by i will leave the glass for the stunmans.

Don't put boiling water in a plastic carboy, at least not a Better Bottle. It's not made for that heat.

You don't want to put boiling liquid in a plastic carboy, it will melt. Just soak it for a day with some unscented oxyclean then rinse it out. If there is still solid junk inside then you can put a soft, clean towel in it and swirl the towel around with a bit of water to get the last bits of junk out of there.

I never use boiling water, or even hot water to clean my equipment. What you need is PBW, OxiClean, or some other cleaner that eats organic material to CLEAN your carboys. Follow the directions on mixing and using. Rinse with regular water and store for next use. Before next use, sanitize with starsan or some other food grade sanitizer (bleach is difficult to mix correctly without leaving residue). No rinse sanitizer is best because, well, you don't have to rinse it.

so:
PBW (clean)
Rinse
Store
Starsan (sanitize)
Use.
Repeat

This process goes for both plastic and glass.

I find my Better Bottles very easy to clean. I add about 2/3 a scoop of Oxyclean and fill with hot tap water. Soak overnight then I siphon off the water, because it is heavy, rinse, add a quart or so of hot tap water and a washcloth. Swirl it around, turn in upside down to get the cloth out. Rinse more then store it for the next brew. I find it even easier than cleaning my buckets where I have to reach around the bottom with a cloth to clean.

No scratches, no infections and none of my bottles retired since starting in July 2011 - 78 batches of beer and about 10 wines.

OH NOOOO! I just jinxed myself! ;)

Drat, got sucked into the debate again!!! :smack:

1436682790893.jpg

I like glass and am willing to take the risks in using it.

I used to use glass carboys until I dropped one. It shattered violently. If I didn't have good reflexes I would have been badly cut. It was just because my hand slipped on the wet glass. There are lots of pictures of people cut by glass from dropping a carboy. I replaced it with a better bottle. I've been using the same one for five years without an infection.

I have 2 plastic (better bottle) and 3 glass (2 6.5gal and 1 5gal)
I've used all of them and don't see much difference. I prefer using the glass ones for sour or brett fermentations, just because I am worried about contaminated other batches.
I do generally do primary ferments in buckets, again for ease of use.

Every time I revisit this old argument, I contemplate looking into trying to find something transparent-ish to paint my remaining glass carboys with, such that if they did break, it would be better contained.

Then I start to wonder if I could use a bunch of tape.

Then I start to wonder how heavy or slippery it would make the carboys.

And if I could use a temp probe bungee'd to the outside as effectively.

Eventually I get to a point where I decide I'm somewhere in the "middle" and make up reasons why I still sometimes use glass and sometimes use plastic. Then I have a beer and my life goes on.

I used glass carboys for many, many years. I was always extremely careful. One day I broke one. Lucky I didn't kill myself, since I was on blood thinners. No more glass carboys!!

I use 3 gallon glass carboys for fermenting right now, but I'll probably switch to a 6 gallon PET carboy for fermenting 5 gallon batches in the near future. I had one of my 3 gallon carboys slip out of my hands when it was wet once it didn't break but it scared the crap out of me - since then I've been more careful and haven't had one slip *knocks on wood*. IMO the 3 gallon glass carboys are the biggest size I feel comfortable handling especially when cleaning but I'm short so YMMV if you're like 6'5" :)

I have both, but whenever plastic is available, I use it - lighter and safer. Always very careful with the glass - no accidents :)

It's sort of like Mac vs PC. Each side has its supporters.

I prefer glass, but I am extremely careful and give them a good dose of respect. Use a Brewhauler to carry, or a milk crate (the real crates, not the flimsy imitations sold in the storage goods aisle of the store). Never use one of those carboy handles to carry a full one, as the neck can snap off. Don't set one on a concrete surface--even a slight impact can break it.

If you are not comfortable doing that, go with plastic.

Latest posts

Back