carboy temps, how to measure them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louz

Reaction score
I had a little difficulty at the end of brew day trying to accurately measure my carboy temp.
Transfered brew to carboy after cooling and added about a gallon of water to reach 5 gallons.
I capped it off and gently turned it upside down a few times to try and mix the water and temps to get an accurate OG reading. After I was happy with that, I hooked up my cap, thermowell, and inkbird probe... but I noticed there was about a 7 degree difference from the cooler outer couple inches of the carboy to a much warmer center. The deeper into the center I went with the probe the warmer it got. (this sounds extremely nasty, I know.)
But I was wondering for those of you who have a similar temp monitoring method, how do you deal with these temp differences. And how deep do you keep your probe throughout fermentation. (grow up pervs.)

Back