Carboy cracks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
I have what appear to be small cracks around the top of 2 of my carboys. Anyone know what they are from and if they will pose any issue for me, IE be a danger or a source of contamination?

_MG_7765 - Copy.jpg

_MG_7773 - Copy.jpg

Did they just appear, or did you just notice them?

Those *look* like the same thing I have on mine... I think it's just little crinkles in the glass from where it was blown into a mold during manufacture.

I noticed them a few months ago. I'm positive they weren't there when I bought them, and I don't have the same things on any of my other carboys...

No idea about strength issues, but it will not be a source of contamination given basic sanitation measures.

I just noticed the same thing on my carboy necks last week. I do believe my carboy brush is to blame. It's a shame the brush handles aren't coated with vinyl "padding" or something to prevent this damage over time. I'm not worried about contamination as my beer never really comes in contact with the neck of the carboy... the bung fills the space during fermentation and I don't touch the sides (operation!) when racking.

It's a shame the brush handles aren't coated with vinyl "padding" or something to prevent this damage over time.

I haven't notice scratches on mine, but here's what I'm going to do today to prevent them. Take a length of thin wall vinyl tube or better yet silicone tube (yellow lawn mower fuel line) and cut it in a spiral with a razor knive. Then wrap it around the wire handle part of the brush. That will prevent the metal wire in the handle from touching the glass and the spiral cut in the tube should leave enough gap between twists for the wire handle to dry quickly when you're done with the brush.

That works too, but you'd have to coat the whole handle portion, including the loop end on the handle. I already have the tube. So, I'll practice a little "use what you got."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back