Carboy Cleanliness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs2003

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first batch soon, and my carboy is used. I've gotten it as clean as I can, there is still a very small amount of junk inside, very small though. My question is, is that a problem? Once I sanitize the carboy will it be fine? Any info will be great...Thanks!

Clean means clean. 'A small amount of junk' is another way of saying 'places for nasties to hang out waiting for some juicy wort in which to raise their families'.

That being said: yes, it is possible that 'mostly clean' is good enough. With exceptional sanitizing and a fast fermentation whatever is living in the 'small amount of junk' could very well be subdued by your beer. I've sneezed directly in a primary and not had any off flavors result.

However, that's not advisable, recomended or typical. If you're having trouble getting the carboy clean then you need to fill it up and give it a good soak before attacking the 'junk' with a carboy brush. Remember: the twisted metal handle of a typical carboy brush can be bent to allow you to really reach all parts of the carboy with the best 'edge' of the brush.

The way I clean all my carboys is add about 2-3oz of bleach and fill it with water. Let it soak for 2+ days and I'd suspect that 'junk' will break off. Drain most of the bleach water out leaving 1/2 gl or so. Pick it up and shake it around. Rinse it very well with hot water; then sanitize before use.

But you don't want any visibile crap in there. A brush or something may be needed to get it off but this in itself will probably take care of it. I do this with all my carboys after each use. Never have to use a carboy brush.

On the other hand I never have to let a carboy soak as I use a carboy brush to get rid of stubbon gunk. When I empty a carboy I clean it and set it inverted on a shelf to dry and sit there till I need it again.

I like to end my brew days with nothing else to do but wait for the next stage. If everything is clean when I get done then I've got a lot less 'prep' to do before the next batch/stage.

I just purchased a used carboy myself from a garage sale, and I personally used one of these to get it clean. I am also doing a bleach/water mix for a few days to make sure anything I missed gets a good cleaning. Most LHBS have those for about $12. I found one on Austin Home Brews site here . You'll either need a garden hose, a threaded faucet (mine is in the basement), or the adapter.

Jason

Definately recommend the bottle blaster.

No scrubbing involved as long as you get to the carboy before everything dries up. Haven't needed the carboy brush yet. Nice hot water rinse.

I keep hearing "rinse with hot water" or something to that effect... Be careful. If you have had your carboy stored in a cooler garage, lets say 40 degrees in the winter, and go to rinse it out and your water is coming out of the faucet at 170 degrees there is potential for cracking! I know at a restaurant job I took what was a slightly cooled down glass, out of the dish machine for 10 min or so(yes, they were thick glasses) and filled it with ice water, picked it up and... POP!... it cracked, diddn't break all the way, but made me think about extreme temp changes with my carboys. :)

Back