carboy big enough???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
was just wonering if you guys thought 6 gallons was big enough for primary fermentaion? Ive got a 6 gal carboy already, and really dont want to drop the extra for a bigger one... thanks

Oh, and whats the easiest way to get the wort into a carboy? Just a funnel, a friend and steady hands?

It's big enough, just have a blow-off hose handy. That will do it, although a sieve can be useful.

Most go with the 6.5......if you go with the 6, it might be a little tight, so I would go with a blow-off tube until the after high krausen.

im going to buy a 6.5 eventually.. but im gonna stick with the 6 for now..

when i put the air lock on and i notice its getting high.. should i take off the air lock and pop on a blow off tube? or use the blow off from the begining? also what is the best setup for a blow off???

IMO, FWIW

If you're going to buy a 6.5 gal so you have another carboy, go for it, can never have too many. If you're buying it only b/c it's 6.5 gal instead of 6.0 gal, save that money for a wort chiller or something like that. I have a 6.5 gal and still use blow off tubing all the time, I'd say a little under half of my batches end up pumping some foam out.

I use blowoff tubing right away and replace with a airlock when high krausen has passed. I have 1" OD tubing and put it into a contain of water with some sanitizer.

does the blow off do the same as an airlock, just instead of the krausen coming out of the top and spilling over the carboy, it goes into th container? is there any other advantages to the blow off other than neatness? or could it affect your brew?

The blow off tube is performing the same function as an airlock as it pertains to creating a water seal that will not allow air in but will allow CO2 to escape. The blow off tube is also there to keep the foam from making a mess all over everything, but more importantly, it is of a large enough diameter to prevent it from plugging up with the sticky krausen. If it were to plug up, the pressure could increase and blow the cover off of a plastic bucket, or the stopper from a carboy and make a REAL mess!

John

ok i found out the hard way that im gonna need a blowoff tube for my carboy, so should i get tubing that is large enough to fit snuggly into the mouth of the carboy or can i just use tubing that will fit though my stopper, (rougly siphon hose size)?

beercharles said:
ok i found out the hard way that im gonna need a blowoff tube for my carboy, so should i get tubing that is large enough to fit snuggly into the mouth of the carboy or can i just use tubing that will fit though my stopper, (rougly siphon hose size)?

Yes, it goes directly into the mouth of the carboy opening. So you need a length of vinyl tubing that will fit into the opening of your carboy. Generally 1 inch diameter, but be sure to measure. It should fit snugly.

It needs to be long enough to go down into a bucket of water to provide the air lock. Some people use sanitizer in the bucket, but I think water is fine. You just want to make sure that the end in the carboy fits tightly (sanitize the tubing, shake off any excess, then insert while still a little wet into top couple of inches of carboy). And be sure the free end remains submerged at all times.

just finished with my primary ferm. activity in the 6 gal. Came close to the neck of the carboy, but didnt get too high.. yay! i think im going to buy a 6.5 and just have 2 secondary ferm. (5 and 6 gallon)

Latest posts

Back