Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popeye14

Reaction score
I only have three brews under my belt, two in bottles and one in second ferm . Both batches I bottled the numbers where on point . I put both in bottles with 5 oz of priming , I had about 4 1/2 gallon of beer in each batch , first batch has been I bottles for four weeks and second for 2 1/2 and I just can't get a nice head in the beer please help

I only have three brews under my belt, two in bottles and one in second ferm . Both batches I bottled the numbers where on point . I put both in bottles with 5 oz of priming , I had about 4 1/2 gallon of beer in each batch , first batch has been I bottles for four weeks and second for 2 1/2 and I just can't get a nice head in the beer please help

That's plenty of sugar - maybe even enough to call it overcarbed for many styles.

Are you leaving the beer in the fridge for at least a couple of days prior to opening? This can make a huge difference.

How's your glassware? A lot of detergents - and rinse aid in the dishwasher - can kill head.

Also, depending on the beer, it could take longer. I had a porter that took months before it had good head on it.

homebrewdad said:
That's plenty of sugar - maybe even enough to call it overcarbed for many styles.

Are you leaving the beer in the fridge for at least a couple of days prior to opening? This can make a huge difference.

How's your glassware? A lot of detergents - and rinse aid in the dishwasher - can kill head.

They were put in new bottles . Never in dishwasher , I rinsed them out and put them in star San and rinsed our again. Both beers taste good with some carb but not much head . I don't get it.

They were put in new bottles . Never in dishwasher , I rinsed them out and put them in star San and rinsed our again. Both beers taste good with some carb but not much head . I don't get it.

Not the beer bottles. The glasses you are serving the beer in. If you use jet dry in your dishwasher, it will destroy beer foam. Many detergents are bad on it, as well.

Oh really I did not know that . Thanks . I don't think that's it but ill try it

Sound advice already, but I will chime in with your pour. Have you tried aggressively pouring it into the glass VS just letting it run down the side? Do you get ANY lacing?

You have plenty of priming sugar in the batch.

Have they sat for 2-3 weeks in the closet? Another week in the fridge?

Yes I have tried all that . My house is kept a little on the cold side at like 65.

Yes I have tried all that . My house is kept a little on the cold side at like 65.

At that temp, you may have to add a couple of weeks to the carb/conditioning period.

Also, higher ABV and darker styles can take some extra time to carb up. I have a Munich Dunkel at 5 weeks in the bottles (at 70-72*F controlled) that is just starting to pour/drink like it's now fully carbed. It simply needed more time.

"Numbers were on point." Was this an all grain batch, or a kit? Can you post the recipe?

How long do you keep them in the fridge? I've heard a week is good, but I settle for about 48 hours.

Back