carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
When I carbonate my beers using the set and forget method, it always seems to be a little low. I am using the higher end of the volumes for style and looking at the psi and temperature chart. I also get alot of people saying that it could use more carbonation. My co2 is in the refrigerator so I am wondering if this could have an impact? Or am I just used to higher carbonated beers? Thanks.

Having the co2 tank in the fridge won't affect carbonation levels.

What is your fridge temperature and the co2 pressure? Also, how much beerline do you have hooked up to the faucet?

The fridge is about 37 and I have them set anywhere between 9-12psi depending on the style. The hose is 5' of 3/16.

The fridge is about 37 and I have them set anywhere between 9-12psi depending on the style. The hose is 5' of 3/16.

I don't have a carbonation chart in front of me, but that sounds ok. Except, for the 5 feet of beer line. This sounds crazy- but sometimes such a short length "knocks out" the co2 and produces more foam but less co2 actually dissolved in the beer. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but that's what was happening to me. I lengthened my lines, and it's better. I have 8 feet now on most, but one 10 foot line. I also usually go with 12 psi at 39 degrees, regardless of style (usually). I like my beers pretty well carbonated, and let them sit and warm up a bit before drinking so it works out great for me.

Back