Carbonation times - coopers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're still looking at 3-4 weeks for carbonation & conditioning. The 740mL (25.16oz) Cooper's PET bottles took that length of time with 2 drops each.

According to Coopers' website (coopers.com.au), a carbonation drop is equivalent to 3 grams of sugar. They recommend 1 for a 330ml bottle, and 2 for a 750ml bottle. I would go with 2.

Hope this helps.

My local brew store reckon i only need 1 drop to a .750 bottle. What are the opinions on this?

I always use 2 drops per 750ml PET coopers bottle and the beer turns out great each time. Just waiting the 3 weeks to carb is the problem

Yeah,I got that info about the 740mL PET bottles from PB2 on the Cooper's forums. He also said the PET bottles are lined with some nylon to aid in o2 barrier protection. That's another reason hot water should never be used in them. And he also said the PET bottles are good in that regard for up to 8 months. Def not the kind of bottles for long,extended aging. But for something on the order of my Burton or Whiskely ales,they'd be fine. Those had to age about 10 weeks in the bottles for example.
I imagine this sort of thing would also go for the Better Bottle type carboys as well,since the one I have is listed on the side as PET plastic.

I couldn't resist trying one after 2.5 weeks (It was my Bday last saturday) and carbonation just wasn't ready :(

I did have a bit of froth but it just died after about 5 mins, it also tasted rather yeasty still.

Back