Carbonation problem - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
So i bottled and primed my beer and it has been sitting for about 8 days and does not have any yeast settling down on the bottom. My previous brews had certainly had a yeast layer at this point in the process, though this is my first time to have used a secondary fermenter--does this make the yeast slower to carbonate the beer? I opened one of the bottles, and it was very low on the carbonation side--i know this might be the only answer to my problems, but do i just need to be patient and wait longer? if not, any other suggestions would be great! thanks yall

Yea, you have less yeast in a beer that has been in a secondary (how long?) but just be patient, it'll carb up. If it was in the secondary more than 6 months don't expect any carbonation for a month or so. Plus, how cold are your bottles?

Most definitely need to wait longer. Minimum 3 weeks at 70 F. If you gravity is higher than average, then possibly even longer. I do suspect that using the secondary may slow the carbonation and result in less visible yeast, but I've done 2 months lagering in a secondary and still had a 1.065 beer carb in 3 weeks no problem. You really don't need much yeast to carb, just a little patience.

There's nothing wrong, except you are impatient. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Back