Carbonation NOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
Alright Ive read some posts on force carbing and quick carbing and if memory, or comprehension serves me right ive read to not add sugar. Well I just added the reg. amount of priming sugar, but still want to carbonate as quickly as possible. How might I go about doing this without screwing anything up? -thank you

Are you kegging? You can only force-carb if you've got an external CO2 source.

Otherwise, the yeast will do what the yeast will do, when they want to do it. Keep the keg (bottles) in a reasonably warm place (although out of the light if it's in bottles); you don't need to be quite as temperature sensitive during this period as you do when fermenting. Sometimes you'll be lucky and have carbonation in a week; sometimes, bupkis until four. That's how it goes when priming.

Then consider it one big bottle and it will need two weeks.

The fast carbing involves force carbing the keg and shaking it to dissolve the gas into solution. Now that you put priming sugar in it, you will have over carbonated beer if you also force carb it.

Stew!Brew! said:
Yes I am Kegging.

I don't know that you TOTALLY screwed things up, but if you're going to force carb, you don't use sugar, you just use your CO2.

I'm still pretty new at this myself, and my guide is still what they've got up on the kegconnection.com website (a word document) http://stores.kegconnection.com/images/initialset/carbonatebeer.doc. There are some decent threads on this board if you search for force carbonation (or force carbonate, force carbonating)

You basically roll the chilled keg for 10 minutes while it's under 30 pounds of pressure. It's worked pretty well for, not perfect, but acceptable.

Of course, since you've added sugar, if you force carbonate now your beer will be that much sweeter. I suppose the yeasties will mac that sugar down in 2-3 weeks if your keg lasts that long :)

When priming kegs with sugar, the amount should be half of what you would use in bottling. I can't explain the science behind that without doing some more net surfing, but I think it's covered in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, or one of Charlie P's other books.

McKBrew said:
When priming kegs with sugar, the amount should be half of what you would use in bottling. I can't explain the science behind that without doing some more net surfing, but I think it's covered in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, or one of Charlie P's other books.

it has to do with headspace. i can't explain it either.

since OP has already added sugar, you gotta let it sit like a big bottle. if you try to force carb it now, it will end up over carbed in a couple weeks and would also taste sweet since the priming sugar isn't fermented yet.

Back