Carbonation issue, Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
So I started to ferment in Corny kegs. The last 2 batches have been weird. I have 2 kegs with 4gallons each hooked up to gas. I have the gas lines running from a dual regulator, one for each keg. The pressure is set to the same for each keg. However, one keg does not carbonate fully, I would say half the carbonation, the second keg is perfect.

I checked for a leak around the seals of the keg but nothing detected. My only other theory is the calibration of the one Pressure gauge is wrong. Anyone experience this?

If you are worried that one of your regulators is wonky, you can test them with an empty keg and a spunding valve. Swap the gas QD on the spunding valve with a liquid QD. Pressurize the keg and put the spunding valve on the liquid out post (bleeder valve needs to be set higher than the keg pressure.)

You can make a spunding valve pretty easily. I used the following bleeder valve: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GDY3CU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

Spunding Valve Exploded.jpg

Spunding Valve.jpg

Brew on :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
So If i'm understanding this correctly this is simply to verify the pressure that the regulator pressurized the tank with, and that the spunding valve is just for safety reasons in the event it over pressurized?

So If i'm understanding this correctly this is simply to verify the pressure that the regulator pressurized the tank with, and that the spunding valve is just for safety reasons in the event it over pressurized?

Yeah, it's just to check the pressure that the regulator puts out. You don't actually need the bleeder valve to do this, it just comes with the gadget if you already have (or want) a spunding valve.

Brew on :mug:

Back